Martin's spirit
3 (16.7%)
Both
10 (55.6%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: December 05, 2012, 01:28:57 PM

James Gryphon

Quote from: Lutra on July 23, 2011, 02:10:17 AM
I like Martin's sword, but I don't at the same time.  In one sense, its a great weapon for the warrior mouse, and a great gift from Boar.  What strikes me as troubling is the fact anyone who wields it is practically invincible with it.  Is it magic? I sure didn't think so, but how else do you describe the item that cannot break and makes its wielder like God?
Well, it didn't seem to help Dethbrush much, or King Bull Sparra, or Malkariss. ;)

Because of that, I don't think that it's "magic" exactly, at least magic in any way besides the fact that it's as invulnerable as Superman.

The most likely reason why all the good characters who use it seem to do so well is that Martin has a certain tendency to come back from the grave and tell any (good) character that's using it how to fight, which, considering all his real-life experience, plus any more he might've picked up at Dark Forest ;), is incredibly powerful.

This isn't limited to the sword itself; Rakkety Tam, like I mentioned one time, won the fight against Gulo because of a perfectly ordinary shield.

I just finished rereading Mattimeo today, and I have to say that I like the first three books the best when it comes to combat... the description of the fight against the Wearet, for instance, showcases Matthias' skills and shows that he has a clue what he's doing, but it doesn't skimp on the villain either... the build-up for the fight is incredible, and the creature actually puts up a great battle against Matthias, nearly killing him. You don't tend to see that with many of the later villains... partly it's the fact that not all of them are "the best ever" (although nevertheless, many of them should still be much harder than they are), but partly it's the fact that the heroes are overpowered, and it seems likely that we have Martin's spirit to blame for that.
« Subject to editing »

Gonff

I agree that sometimes the heroes are over-powerful. Especially when they have Martin's sword.
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than going to a garage makes you an automobile.--Billy Sunday

Tiria Wildlough

Sometimes only because they have Martin's sword.
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

White One6193

Quote from: Osu on July 17, 2011, 04:40:40 PM
Ah, yes, Martin's sword. I'm surprised we haven't done our crazy fan thing on this one yet. ;D

I think it's total awesomesauce. Made from a fallen star? Yes. Just, yes. :D It has a reputation of being magic, perhaps there is something to that - Boar spoke the names of warriors as he was hammering it, didn't he? Or maybe that was just for effect. ANYWAY.

I'd like to know how the handle survived so long. The blade makes sense - hey, it's a meteorite - but surely the handle would have... I dunno, grown mold or whatever it is old sword handles do?

One thing you've gotta remember about hilts (that's what a sword handle is really called). The hilt is actually a part of the metal of the sword, called the ''tang'', therefore it would be as invulnerable as the blade itself...
"Ride for wrath, ride to ruin, and the world's ending!"- King Theoden

RIP Brian Jacques... ET NOMINE PATRI, ET FILLI, ET SPIRITUS SANCTI, AMEN!

Mit Gott, Fur Koenig, und Die Vadeirlandt!

Nightfire

True. And if the shiny black leather ever got worn and flimsy, then Martin could just get rid of the old leather and rewrap it with some new leather. Simple! Martin's sword is totally fantasmystic!
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Log-a-Log

Quote from: James Gryphon on July 23, 2011, 06:15:37 AM
Quote from: Lutra on July 23, 2011, 02:10:17 AM
I like Martin's sword, but I don't at the same time.  In one sense, its a great weapon for the warrior mouse, and a great gift from Boar.  What strikes me as troubling is the fact anyone who wields it is practically invincible with it.  Is it magic? I sure didn't think so, but how else do you describe the item that cannot break and makes its wielder like God?
Well, it didn't seem to help Dethbrush much, or King Bull Sparra, or Malkariss. ;)

Because of that, I don't think that it's "magic" exactly, at least magic in any way besides the fact that it's as invulnerable as Superman.

The most likely reason why all the good characters who use it seem to do so well is that Martin has a certain tendency to come back from the grave and tell any (good) character that's using it how to fight, which, considering all his real-life experience, plus any more he might've picked up at Dark Forest ;), is incredibly powerful.

This isn't limited to the sword itself; Rakkety Tam, like I mentioned one time, won the fight against Gulo because of a perfectly ordinary shield.

I just finished rereading Mattimeo today, and I have to say that I like the first three books the best when it comes to combat... the description of the fight against the Wearet, for instance, showcases Matthias' skills and shows that he has a clue what he's doing, but it doesn't skimp on the villain either... the build-up for the fight is incredible, and the creature actually puts up a great battle against Matthias, nearly killing him. You don't tend to see that with many of the later villains... partly it's the fact that not all of them are "the best ever" (although nevertheless, many of them should still be much harder than they are), but partly it's the fact that the heroes are overpowered, and it seems likely that we have Martin's spirit to blame for that.
I don't think the sword is magic at all. Its just a well-made weapon and can be used by anybody. Also, the only one that I can think off the top of my head that was pretty much a hero just because of the sword was Dandin. He woke up next to it, left the Abbey with Mariel, and became a warrior in no time
I know you can fight William, but its our wits that make us men. - Malcolm Wallace, from Braveheart

Dannflor

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Nightfire

Hey, guys! Martin the Warrior's sword is a broadsword! I found a picture of a real sword that looks exactly like it!!! Martin the Warrior truley exists, as does his blade!!!!

Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Tiria Wildlough

Awesome picture! Where did you find it?
I'm not a hipster.

Nightfire

I Googled it. ;D I looked up European Medieval Broadswords, and got that! Isn't it awesome?!?!

Log-a-Log

It looks exactly the same. I wonder if Brian Jacques based it off of that
I know you can fight William, but its our wits that make us men. - Malcolm Wallace, from Braveheart

Coobreedan

I picture it looking like that too! I picture boar's sword looking cooler though.

Boar's is massive and incredibly heavy, and it has writing going down it like this:

B
O
A
R

T
H
E

F
I
G
H
T
E
R

And random swirly patterns in the corners, but it one corner, instead of a swirly pattern it has a carving of an adder.
I won't be on this forum much anymore, but I'll pop in to say hi every now and then.

Tiria Wildlough

Quote from: Coobreedan on September 05, 2011, 08:37:35 PM
...but it one corner, instead of a swirly pattern it has a carving of an adder.
You had to add that little detail, didn't you? ::) ::)
I'm not a hipster.

Nightfire

I personally liked the part in Legend of Luke, where Martin used the red pommel stone of his awesome sword to cure the Dunehog chief of his toothache! A funny, yet practical way to use his sword!

Muse

Quote from: Nightfire on September 09, 2011, 11:32:36 PM
I personally liked the part in Legend of Luke, where Martin used the red pommel stone of his awesome sword to cure the Dunehog chief of his toothache! A funny, yet practical way to use his sword!
Yeah I liked that too. Thing I dont get is, where did they get the leather for the sword? Isnt leather from cows?
Do not fear the unknown. It cannot hurt you.
What is truly worth fearing is the known.
By Muse