Chickens in redwall

Started by cluneythescourge, May 04, 2013, 02:15:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cluneythescourge

I have a question... Why are there no CHICKENS in redwall!?
NO snide comments about chickens being chickens people, that CAN make me go bloodwrath berserk. Roosters are far from timid. They will go and attack a FOX yes a FOX, if it is threatening the roosters hens and chicks. A mother hen is one of natures best. they will never let their chicks stray far and cam be positivly deadly when they are threatened! :o :o :o :o :o

Maudie

Un, I think it's cause Brian Jacques was focusing more on the rodent-like animals than farm animals. Also, most of the birds in the series are the fierce or the flying type, like hunting birds and geese.
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Leatho Shellhound

The only thing that comes close was Chickenhound.  :D
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

Buzz_Bumble

There's lots of animal species missing from Redwall. Redwall is based on native British animals, so things like chickens, wolves, bears, skunks, etc. don't exist.

Ungatt Trunn

In his first Redwall book, he had refrence to creatures, like beavers and dogs, that would never appear or be mentioned again in the Redwall series. Also, they had food that seemed inpossable for them to accuire, like goatsmilk. But that is most likely because it was his first Redwall book, so he hadn't had in mind were to officially put Redwall in, the real world of that Redwall world were all the other books (his first book was as well, but not quite the same). So if there was any refrence to Ckickens in Redwall, it would make sence if they were refrenced to in the first Redwall book.

Life is too short to rush through it.

Tam and Martin

Well we own chickens and they are MESSY! I'm glad they don't appear in the books.

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

Maudie

Quote from: Buzz_Bumble on May 04, 2013, 07:43:50 AM
There's lots of animal species missing from Redwall. Redwall is based on native British animals, so things like chickens, wolves, bears, skunks, etc. don't exist.
I think they do have chickens in The UK but chickens just aren't the Redwall type. ;)
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

CrazyPug37

Chickens are more of domesticated animals, and there aren't any humans in Redwall, which probably means there are no chickens in Mossflower Woods.
South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Seychelles, Malawi, Guinea, Equatorial Guinea, Mauritius, Madagascar, Congo, Gabon, Togo, Burkina Faso, Western Sahara

Afrika United

Buzz_Bumble

Quote from: Mask on May 04, 2013, 11:57:09 PM
I think they do have chickens in The UK but chickens just aren't the Redwall type. ;)

I really meant to say native British animals ... I don't think chickens were native to Britain, although I can't honestly say I know where they come from.

Redwall also only deals with fairly small animals, so horses, cows, goats, etc. are too big, although, again, I don't really know whether or not those are all native or not. Realistically something like a horse could easily squash a mouse or jump over the walls of Redwall Abbey, so it makes sense to limit the sizes so the battles aren't too silly.

Rusvul

Err, there were monitor lizards and wolverines... but they were probably scaled down :P

Romsca

Quote from: rusvulthesaber on May 06, 2013, 01:11:11 PM
Err, there were monitor lizards and wolverines... but they were probably scaled down :P

Was that pun intended?   ::)

Rusvul

No, it was not HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....
Laughing
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[close]

AnnaofRedwall

still.... it would be awesome to have  deadly chicken... i still and a crazy chicken lover... and chickens are NOT stupid... well they are some times... but they figure things out pretty fast. :)
I hate it when a package says 'easy open' and you need a scissors, a knife, a crowbar, a gun, and a light-saber to open it.

CrazyPug37

I do agree with you; being a chicken lover.

Maybe if the Brian Jacques used farm animals instead of Woodland creatures for Redwall, there would be a "Deadly chicken" character.
South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Seychelles, Malawi, Guinea, Equatorial Guinea, Mauritius, Madagascar, Congo, Gabon, Togo, Burkina Faso, Western Sahara

Afrika United

Maudie

Quote from: Buzz_Bumble on May 05, 2013, 08:18:56 AM
Quote from: Mask on May 04, 2013, 11:57:09 PM

I really meant to say native British animals ... I don't think chickens were native to Britain, although I can't honestly say I know where they come from.

I googled it, they originated in India