News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Dogs/hounds

Started by BadgerLordFiredrake, July 19, 2013, 02:47:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Skarzs

That's not clear in the books. It's obvious they were powerful and feared, but what stance they took is never told. My guess is they would be bad if we were to go by the formula the books usually take.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

a crumb

Indeed. Just based on the thinking Jacques used in his sorting, they'd almost certainly be evil. In English folklore/culture, wolves are about as quintessentially baddie as it gets.

Jetthebinturong

Except the one that guarded the head of Saint Edmund. That was a good wolf. The rest are eeeeeeeevillll.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

The Skarzs

So what would the role of a wolf be do you think? A natural leader? Pure brawn?
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

a crumb

Honestly, more I think about it, probably not that different from wolverines. Despite all the debate about how wolverines might be neutral or good, I think the straightforward interpretation is that they are just savage, nearly indomitable dangerous monsters that tower over all the vermin around them.
So, if I was designing Redwallian wolves, they'd be very rare, the badger equivalent in evil alignment, and terrifying to both goodies and baddies. 'Omen of danger', to play off the folklore. Unless they are adverse to interaction, and just want to be savage predators removed from the politics of assembling a band/army/horde/whatever.

KoudoawaiaVortex

Also they were Dirgecallers not Dirgehounds.

The Skarzs

"Lone wolf" comes to.mind.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Krantor the Brutal

Maugrim from C. S. Lewis' The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe is a good example for a vermin wolf.
"Friends, if I advance, follow me! If I retreat, kill me! If I die, avenge me!" - Henri de la Rochejaquelein

Ashleg

Wolves are also commonly (but less commonly) shown to be noble, strong, and majestic.

They could have worked as "gray" characters.

MeadowR

Yeah, could be possible. Then Brian could have gone down the same route as with wildcats, having the good, the bad and the grey. As others have said, going by how wolves have typically been portrayed in stories, I think they would have been mostly shown as bad.
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

The Skarzs

The good the bad and the grey. . . Heh.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

MeadowR

Doesn't have quite the same ring to it, but yeah. :p
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Cinderpelt

Well, if wolves exists as well as both house cats and wildcats, then there must be dogs, But if there are dogs, and we know that there are house cats because Julian in the first book is a house cat, that would mean that there would have to be humans, but where did they go? Did they even exist? If not, then how did house cats and dogs come to be? Aaah!!!
~CL~

The Skarzs

There was also a horse and the mention of pigs in the first book. Some of those things never carried on to the other books so most of us think they're not really canon, so to speak.

I personally have never liked the idea of humans being in the Redwall world. . . It takes away some of the fantasy, for me.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.