News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Land over the seas

Started by Log-a-Log, July 26, 2011, 09:09:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gears

i dont really like the idea of that. because if there were, then why hasnt any people invaded mossflower? I think that these books make woodland creatures the dominant species.
Yeah, I do stuff sometimes.

Captain Tammo

Hey, let's revive the oldest [unlocked] topic on this board!

Brian said numerous times that there were no humans in Redwall. But there wasn't exactly proof of that in the books, was there? So I guess the reader can still imagine, right? Can you imagine walking through the woods, getting lost and finding a red sandstone abbey in the middle of everything?!

If Mossflower is inhabited only by critters that are found in Britain, and everything else comes from over the seas, then maybe we can say that the land across the sea is like that across the Atlantic from Britain's east? Suddenly the lands of ice and snow are akin to Iceland, Greenland and Canada. The tropical islands beyond where the sun sets are the far-off Caribbean islands. Perhaps there is a Mossflower-like land mass like the woods on the USA's east coast somewhere over there, too?
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Nadaz, voice of the host

That might be true but how would you explain how he characters get to places like Sampetra which has a very different climate than Mossflower with relatively fast speed.
It matters not what you fight, but what you fight for.

Captain Tammo

Well, the idea is that there is inspiration taken from various places (as if Brian put a "loosely based on real locations" tag at the beginning of the novel). Not so much that the places everything is based on is the actual world. If the story calls for an island not too far away, like Sampetra, then poof! there it is!

Looking at the Redwall wiki, it seems that Sampetra derives its name from a Galic word for summer, "Sam", and a Latin word for rock, "Petra". So, Sampetra = Summer Rock. Sounds a lot like a Caribbean island to me! Maybe Brian took some creative liberties and moved some things around to better fit the story. Or maybe he always made things up from scratch and there was never any real-world influence there?
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Sanddunes

Quote from: Log-a-Log on July 26, 2011, 09:09:30 PM
I have always wondered what was over the seas in the Redwall books. It said at the end of the Bellmaker Mariel, Dandin, and a few others went over the seas with a ship. Also, I might be wrong, but I think it said that Cluny was from over the seas.
It seems to have a lot of mystery around it.

I sometimes wander what happened to them after The Bellmaker

Captain Tammo

Quote from: Sanddunes on June 14, 2018, 06:20:02 AM
I sometimes wander what happened to them after The Bellmaker

I guess that's what makes these stories tug at your heartstrings a little. We never really know what happens after the books end, do we?

Nadaz, voice of the host

I have thought about the tropical isles in the books and I think they may likely be almost tropical islands like say the Isles of Scily which are very close offshore from main land Great Britain.

It matters not what you fight, but what you fight for.

The Skarzs

Perhaps! It's obvious Brian took artistic liberties, so any warm tropical/semi-tropical island could be a candidate for the inspiration.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.