News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Salamandastron Uniforms

Started by Faiyloe, May 27, 2017, 02:18:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maudie

Or maybe we shouldn't try to assign real world eras to the Redwall world. It obviously mixes elements from different real world times and introduces some new stuff.
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Wylder Treejumper

I think it is perfectly reasonable to assume, however, that the Long Patrol did draw inspiration from real life, and that is in general what we are discussing.

Now, we know that, at several points throughout the series at least, the Long Patrol does wear uniforms. It's not necessarily made very clear what the uniforms look like, but the books mention at least 4 types of uniforms: campaign, field, dress, and mess- standard for late 19th to early 20th century British forces. The campaign uniform- which includes a pith helmet- is noted as dun (greyish tan), the field uniform as green, the dress uniform as green velvet, and the mess jacket as red/pink. From these, I think we can get a fairly good idea of what the Long Patrol uniform scheme looks like.

Here we have two of the types of uniforms: Field on the left, campaign on the right (including the pith helmet). As was standard in this era, the dress uniform would be the same style as the field uniform, but made of velvet rather than the usual wool, with more elaborate ribbon and cuffs, full military decoration and additional embellishment (see the mess jacket picture below). They would, of course, be in green rather than the red portrayed here.

The mess jacket, worn most notably by Meldrum the Magnificent, would look more like this (although with many, many more medals):

We can also be fairly sure that the Patrol only wore the upper half of the uniform, as in no case in the Redwall series is there a mention of pants or boots. Indeed, the uniforms are referred to much more often as tunics than as uniforms (which is, perhaps, one of the sources of confusion surrounding them). This is consistent with the uniforms shown above and in my previous post, for which the upper garment is indeed called the tunic. A fully kitted-out hare with the Sam Browne belt and pack would be well-equipped for campaign and battle, and the green tunics are much more conducive to stealth ventures in the woodlands of Mossflower and the surrounding regions than the bright red of the British forces.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Nadaz, voice of the host

but what do you think the salamandastron sleepers (outcast of redwall)wore ???
It matters not what you fight, but what you fight for.

Steelinghades

Quote from: Nadaz, voice of the host on November 05, 2017, 10:00:09 PM
but what do you think the salamandastron sleepers (outcast of redwall)wore ???

What were the sleepers, I don't recall them.