News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

[CRAFT] Art in Metal

Started by The Skarzs, October 10, 2014, 04:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Skarzs

Um. . . I haven't gotten into sword-making yet, and katanas are especially tricky for beginners like myself.
I would charge probably $50 - $100 for a good katana. :P
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Rusvul

Hmm, that's a very good deal for a hand-made katana, definitely.

Jukka the Sling

Quote from: The Skarzs on October 11, 2014, 12:40:21 AM
Um. . . I haven't gotten into sword-making yet, and katanas are especially tricky for beginners like myself.
I would charge probably $50 - $100 for a good katana. :P

Lol, okay.

Have you ever seen the site Cold Steel? I've seen some of their demo videos once or twice - they sell knives and fully-functional replica swords.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

The Skarzs

Huh, I've seen 'em. I don't like them because they're all like "You need this sword. This sword will save your life." and "You can find no better quality weapon than what we sell." ::) (I'm sorry, but that whole marketing ploy isn't working for me. . .)

Quote from: rusvulthesaber on October 11, 2014, 01:05:31 AM
Hmm, that's a very good deal for a hand-made katana, definitely.
For the quality I would probably make, it's accurate. :P
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Leatho Shellhound

Wow! You really got some talent!
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Russano the Wise

Those are really cool-looking, Skarzs! Nice job!
"But if you really love your friends, they're never really gone. Somewhere they're watching over you and they're always there inside your heart." -Martin the Warrior

The Mask

Hey Skarz forgive my ignorance but, to shape the blade you need a cast right? And if so, did you need to make the cast?
I am a squirrel, an otter, a mouse, a fox, a stoat, a ferret, a weasel, a wildcat, a hare, a hedgehog, a badger; I am the master of disguises, The Mask.

" I will burn the heart out of you." Moriarty, Sherlock

Rusvul

Nope. Heat the metal and hammer it. Casting works for other things, usually when you need something more finely detailed than is easy with a hammer. I've not heard of casting weapons but I'd imagine it might be possible.

The Skarzs

Hopefully that image works, but that is what steel looks like when it's heated to workable temperatures. (Around 1000-2100 degrees F) You use an anvil

as the working face to pound out the shape.

Quote from: The Mask on October 11, 2014, 07:27:46 AM
Hey Skarz forgive my ignorance but, to shape the blade you need a cast right? And if so, did you need to make the cast?
Ignorance forgiven. ;) When casting steel, the steel kind of turns into cast iron; not good for knives, especially.

Quote from: rusvulthesaber on October 11, 2014, 04:12:23 PM
I've not heard of casting weapons but I'd imagine it might be possible.
You could cast bronze weapons, but you would still have to work it to compress the material.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Lady Amber

Those are awesome looking!

Jukka the Sling

Quote from: The Skarzs on October 11, 2014, 02:54:57 AM
Huh, I've seen 'em. I don't like them because they're all like "You need this sword. This sword will save your life." and "You can find no better quality weapon than what we sell." ::) (I'm sorry, but that whole marketing ploy isn't working for me. . .)
Haha, okay. Just thought you might be interested, it being all about swords and such.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

The Skarzs

Well, if I hadn't known about them, I would have taken a look since you told me. :)

Quote from: Lady Amber on October 11, 2014, 10:57:47 PM
Those are awesome looking!
Thanks!

I'm going to be uploading a picture of a new knife shortly; thank you all for taking a look!
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

The Skarzs

Sorry for the double post, but here is the new knife as promised.

Pretty simple, but it's more experience for me. It's about 11 inches from tip to pommel, with oak handle and copper rivets.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Rusvul

That looks pretty nice. Simple, as you said, but nice. Rivets are annoying to drive in.