News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

St. Ninian

Started by Blaggut, November 11, 2014, 06:02:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Ashenwyte

Quote from: Cornflower MM on January 06, 2015, 11:29:23 PM
Yes it was. I liked Piknim too. . . . . Still, I suppose BJ knew what he was doing.

Aye, but I wasn't very affected by Piknim's death though. If her death was on page, I would be sad.
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

Lady Ashenwyte

Quote from: Gonff the Mousethief on November 11, 2014, 10:33:56 PM
*sigh* I might get this topic closed.

Ok, so St. Ninians WAS in fact a church, for it was used as a church sometime over a long period of time.It was not built for church uses at first.  It was used to house Luke and his tribe before Martin, but as Jet said, it did have that origin.

DOUBLE POST REVIVE!

If it was a church, are the animals Christian?
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Jetthebinturong

Well no, Jacques specifically stated that there was no religion in Redwall. The main characters live in an abbey, they're not religious. Also churches are not only Christian
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Lady Ashenwyte

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on January 10, 2015, 02:03:27 PM
Well no, Jacques specifically stated that there was no religion in Redwall. The main characters live in an abbey, they're not religious. Also churches are not only Christian

I know Brian Jacques stated there was no religion in Redwall. As for the church fact, I actually did not know. Please forgive me if I offended anybody.

Captain Tammo

There were definitely religious influences in the series, or at least elements of the series that are comparable to Christianity. Whether these are intentional or not, I suppose we'll never know for certain. Brian did say that there was no religion in Redwall, but maybe he said this to appeal to a wider audience, or because he did not want controversy or people to think that religion was not the focus of the stories? Just a thought.
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Delthion

What's really cool is that there was a St. Ninian in Bede's "Ecclesiastical History of the English People." Who built a church, I forget many of the details, but it did seem as if Brian Jaques could have based St Ninian's Church on the church that St. Ninian built.
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

asmodeus

Maybe St. Ninians was like an older Redwall, with communal graveyard and a meeting or feasting place)

I use arch btw.