The Great War of the Redwall World

Started by alderbowbeast, November 20, 2014, 03:39:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alderbowbeast

The world of Redwall is a vast one indeed, however, there is more there than meets the eye.  Allow me to introduce to you the Great War.  This war has been raging since before the books began in Lord Brocktree.  There are two sides to this war, the Wild Cat Kingdom in the North and the Badger Kingdom in the South.  The beginning of the end of the war actually occurs in Lord Brocktree.  Allow me to remind readers that all of this is purely speculative based on what I have read in the books.
King Mortspear was the last ruler of the Highland Kingdoms (aka the Northern Kingdom).  He sensed his son, Ungatt's, ambitions to rule.  Mortspear feared for his throne and life and convinced Ungatt that his destiny lay in capturing the mountain fortress of Salamadastron, one of the nothern-most strongholds of the Badger kingdom.  As we know from Lord Brocktree Ungatt failed to do this, dying in the attempt.  In his urge to push south, Mortspear sent his other son, Verdauga, to take an army and push south into Mossflower.  Thanks to the information provided in The Legend of Luke and Mossflowerwe know Verdauga was successful and held the area for his entire life.  Upon Vergauda's death Mortspear was more than likely dead leaving Verdauga as the sole heir to the empoir.  However, with the wildcat's death, along with Tsarmina's defeat at the hands of Martin the Highland Kingdom officially met its end.  This makes Squire Julian Gingivere from Redwall the last heir to the Northern Empire.
The breaking of the Northern Empire leads to the spread of vermin and the creation of other vermin kingdoms such as the pirate kingdom of Gabool or the wandering vermin hoard found in The Outcast of Redwall.  Cluny the Scourge's army is the last remnant of the once mighty empire of the North.  However, the next empire would spring from the South in the form of yet another cat kingdom, namely that of Malkarkis.  With the defeat of that fledgling empire the way was cleared for the mighty badger lords.  With the defeat of Malkarkis it was a simple matter to fight new growing kingdoms or the odd pirate.  However, no vermin kingdom could contend with the might of the badgers and their allies in Redwall.  Towards the end of the books the focus shifts from great wars to adventures, explorations of history, and the gathering of knowledge long forgotten.  By the end of the Redwall Series with The Rouge Crew the world is shifting into a renaissance period under the rule of the Badger Empire.

Alder-Recorder of Redwall and Mossflower Country
Alder, Recorder of Redwall Abbey and Mossflower Country

The Skarzs

Say whaaaaaaaat? :D Wow, did you get this all for yourself? This is a really cool idea!
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Søren

I'm retired from the forum

Delthion

Wow! That was amazing!

And Soren, you are defiantly seeing that happening, I think you mean definitely.
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Søren

Quote from: Delthion on November 20, 2014, 07:49:31 PM
Wow! That was amazing!

And Soren, you are defiantly seeing that happening, I think you mean definitely.
WHAT THE HECK WAS WRONG WITH MY AUTO CORRECT LAST NIGHT!!ERG!

SilentSam

Quote from: Soren the Warrior on November 20, 2014, 10:08:58 PM
Quote from: Delthion on November 20, 2014, 07:49:31 PM
Wow! That was amazing!

WHAT THE HECK WAS WRONG WITH MY AUTO CORRECT LAST NIGHT!!ERG!
;D Hehe...  ;D
;D~~~~Silent~~~~Sam~~~~Squirrel~~~ ;D
HEHE!

I AM SAM ;D
Cicha sam jest najlepszym redwall znaków!

alderbowbeast

There is a reason I sign off as "Alder-Recorder of Redwall and Mossflower Country"
Alder, Recorder of Redwall Abbey and Mossflower Country

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ungatt Trunn

THE BADGERS STARTED IT!!! That's all I have to say...

Life is too short to rush through it.

Søren

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn on December 13, 2014, 04:47:23 AM
THE BADGERS STARTED IT!!! That's all I have to say...
NO THEY DIDNT YOU FRAMED US!! ;)

MeadowR

I'll give this a proper read through when I am without headache! What I did read, it sounds like a very interesting theory and gives the story even more depth. :)
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Tam and Martin

Wow...... just wow.......

Where did you get all those awesome ideas?  :D

That's amazing!!!!

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

willruth

Interesting idea, can you quote sources from all the books you got this idea from!

Oh and I thoroughly believe in this idea, and have been thinking of something quite like it for some time!

P.S I think the plot is good for a time-warp role-play thread!

Hickory

Wow.

But...

Cluny's army roughly numbered 100. On the other hand, Ferhago the assasin's army numbered well over 500. So how could Cluny be a survivor, when his army is older than Ferhago's but is smaller. Thinking about the amount of good fighting animals in mossflower, if rallied, then Cluny could have easily been defeated on his way to redwall. How could he have survived for that long? Granted, he traveled by horsecart, but still, it maes much more sense for ferhago's army to be the original from the north.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

James Gryphon

Salamandastron took place before Redwall, chronologically. Ferahgo the Assassin's Corpsemakers numbered several thousand. Cluny's horde started out at five hundred, and was over six hundred at its peak:
Quote from: RedwallNow he rode on the back of the hay wagon with his five hundred followers, a mighty army of rats: sewer rats, tavern rats, water rats, dockside rats.
QuoteThey'd obtained over a hundred new recruits, mainly rats but with a good scattering of ferrets and weasels, and the odd stoat.
« Subject to editing »