News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Pacificmaelstrom's Art + Drawing Tutorials

Started by pacificmaelstrom, February 13, 2015, 03:23:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wot, wot!

Wow! That's really cool! The color is amazing!!! :)
"Get him! Grab that spy! I want his head!"
Basil chuckled. "What's the matter? Isn't your own head good enough? No, I don't suppose it is. Ugly-looking brute, aren't you?" -Basil to Cluny the Scourge (Redwall)

"The second you change "I can't" into "why not", you can do anything in the world."

pacificmaelstrom

Thanks! I draw and color digitally using a wacom pen tablet and Autodesk sketchbook.

Captain Tammo

Quote from: pacificmaelstrom on February 13, 2015, 03:23:52 PM

I LOVE THAT PICTURE! It tells me that Redwall never fell, and that while creatures may not live there anymore, it's gates are still open to those who pass by. It tells me that there came a time where creatures didn't have to live behind walls anymore, and that while the world around Mossflower evolved with time, good beasts kept Redwall just the way it is :)
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

pacificmaelstrom

Very poetically stated Captain Tammo. Thats exactly the kind of sentiment I hoped to convey :)

pacificmaelstrom

Quote from: pacificmaelstrom on February 13, 2015, 03:23:52 PM
Hi everyone. Art below. Tutorials below that.

Requests: Depending on how many requests there are I may or may not get through them, but I will do the first 3 for sure. For now, only one per person. Tell me any details you want included, (Animal, visual characteristics, clothes, weapons, setting and surroundings.) the rest I will make up. I can do humans as well as animals.

My Redwall Art:

Its just a sketch, but if anyone really likes the idea Ill polish it up.
Note: the sign says "Redwall Abbey, Mossflower County Historic Site"

Character portrait.

This is Thrax Blueblade, a mongoose. He grew up in a far away land, got lost at sea, and eventually wound up on the coast south of Salamandastron. Originally he fell in with a drifting pack of vermin where he quickly gained their respect with his lightning fast reflexes, skill at dagger throwing, and a gift for strategy. But he didn't like the vermin lifestyle. He left the vermin and struck out on his own, not yet sure what to do with his new life in Mossflower.

(Note: True, mongooses are not native to Britain, but there are wild Mongooses in the UK, they were originally escaped pets, brought from the British colony of India.)

HOW TO DRAW

As my mother is an art teacher, I grew up with bit of an advantage when it comes to drawing. Even still, I am always practicing and looking to improve.

Many of you are interested in learning to draw better, and while there are many tutorials out there, I thought I would share my personal methods and insights for anyone who is interested.

Spoiler

Basic drawing skills:

Thanks for reading. If you have any questions or comments, or specific drawing challenges you are struggling with, don't hesitate to let me know! Stay tuned for more advanced tutorials.

[close]

The Skarzs

I would personally recommend taking an art class; while I didn't learn much from it, it was a good review of techniques, and I got some awesome drawing pencils that improved my shading and stuff.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

pacificmaelstrom

I would like to take a digital art class sometime, i think.

Mhera

This is all really good, thanks for posting it!

Gonff the Mousethief

Since I see you have a request spot open, would you mind do this? I hope I gave enought detail. Thanks! I know it will look good!

Name: Marshall Scottsworth
Species: Fox (good)
Weapon: A Huge iron axe, a small dagger, and a long yew bow
Apperence: He has Blue fur. He wheres a Racoon Hat. Has bright Blue eyes and wheres a torn up Blue and Black Tunic. Has a quiver full of arrows. Also, he has no tail, only a stub.
Peronality: Very friendly. Grew up at Redwall, so he knows the place. Has a slight Scottish accent at times. Can fight very well, and is an expert travaler.
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

pacificmaelstrom

Yay, a request!

Ok Gnoff, I added you to the que and started with some sketches. Take a look at this picture and tell me your thoughts, and what you like best. Also, is that the right kind of hat?

See it big: http://i.imgur.com/hXnmQGX.png

Face /orientation
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6?

Weapons:
A or B; C, D or E

Pose:
W (fierce pose), X (Attacking), Y (Relaxed), Z (Head shot), or Other (Describe)

Any other details:
Kilt?
Facial expression?

Izeroth

I've got a request for you.

Name: Lieutenant Erich
Species: white ermine
Appearance: Erich is a typical ermine, though slightly taller than normal. He wears the blue cloak of an officer, and has a steel chestplate. He carries a steel saber (usually in a scabbard when he's not fighting), and a spear.

Gonff the Mousethief

Face: 3
Weapons: A. D
Pose: y
A kilt would be cool if you could do it. And for expressions, a simple smile. Thanks! Oh, and your style of asking is very cool. Keep up the good work!
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

pacificmaelstrom

Ok Izeroth, you are on the list! Stay tuned for preliminary sketches.

Thanks Gnoff. What about the hat? ???

Ill let you know if I have any more questions, and Ill keep you posted on my progress. Although this was quick, If I don't get it done tomorrow it may be a little while. :)

The Mask

I am a squirrel, an otter, a mouse, a fox, a stoat, a ferret, a weasel, a wildcat, a hare, a hedgehog, a badger; I am the master of disguises, The Mask.

" I will burn the heart out of you." Moriarty, Sherlock