Redwall in Sid Mier's Civilization

Started by Captain Tammo, August 23, 2015, 10:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Tammo

Hi all!

There is a fun game I sometimes play called "Sid Mier's Civilization" for PC. It's a game where you take control of some of the world's greatest civilizations and strive to make it the best society there is, whether that be through scientific advancements, cultural brilliance, diplomatic relations, or military conquest! For example, in this game, you could become Napoleon Bonaparte of France and go head-to-head with King Rameses II of Egypt if you wanted to.

Anyway, I have the fifth edition of the game (simply called Civilization V). Recently, I discovered that you can create your own maps to play on! Being the person I am, my first thought was to create the world of Redwall! It was very easy, completely free (the map-building program comes built-in with the game when you have it installed on a game engine called "Steam"), and did not take too long. Here is what I have come up with in the end (click on the image to see an expanded version on photobucket.com):

As you can see, I've added a couple of my own civilizations from my Fanfiction such as "Zane's Court", "Damien's Court", "Valley of Elov", and "Agrinaut".

The River Moss has been enlarged so that naval units can move up and down it (unfortunately, this is the thinnest I could make a river that can be sailed on. But hey, it's better than nothing)!

On the Western Sea, you can see a long strip going down the coast. This is the "Roaringburn from The Bellmaker. To the top left corner of the map, you can see the "Lands of Ice and Snow", as harsh and barren as the books said it would be. If you move just a bit South and East, you can see a handful of islands. These islands are from The Legend of Luke, as well as two islands from my Fanfiction (if you've read it, they are Hsif-Drows and Amijowi)

I have yet to play a game on this map, but I'm looking forward to it! I think it'd be fun to keep making some new maps and setting up different scenarios. This is a very large map, so some smaller maps could be pretty fun! Maybe recreate the battle for Green Isle in High Rhulain, or make a scenario where Salamandastron is under heavy siege!

Do you play Civilization? What other maps or scenarios should I make?
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Vilu Daskar

I play Civ 1.
You could make Middle Earth.
Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

SoranMBane

Ooh. I've actually played Civilization V with a pair of mods that add the Mossflower Alliance (led by Martin) and Vermin (led by Cluny) as playable civs. It would pretty cool to try playing as one of them on this map.

Captain Tammo

I just went and downloaded the redwall mods. It's awesome and hilarious! I started as Martin and ran into Cluny pretty early on. He's surprisingly friendly! Hahaha
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

SoranMBane

Yeah, when I played with those mods, I decided to play as Cluny the Scourge, and Martin (apparently the most clueless mouse in the universe) actually ended up being one of my strongest allies. Of course, the plan was to gradually knock out every other civ until it was just the two of us, and then immediately betray the Mossflower Alliance in the most predictable turn of events imaginable. I also happened to be playing with the mod that adds the Mouse Guard as a playable civ, and, for whatever reason, Martin decided that he didn't like those particular mice and asked me to declare war on them with him. All I could think was "Martin, you are an idiot." It was great.

rrrrr

Cool, I know how to play it because I saw my friend play it, but I don't have it. How do you play with the custom map thing?
rrrrr.....

Ho arr, mateys, swimming is fun!

I had shrimp 'n' hotroot soup today.

Hickory

Quote from: SoranMBane on August 24, 2015, 03:12:00 AM
Yeah, when I played with those mods, I decided to play as Cluny the Scourge, and Martin (apparently the most clueless mouse in the universe) actually ended up being one of my strongest allies. Of course, the plan was to gradually knock out every other civ until it was just the two of us, and then immediately betray the Mossflower Alliance in the most predictable turn of events imaginable. I also happened to be playing with the mod that adds the Mouse Guard as a playable civ, and, for whatever reason, Martin decided that he didn't like those particular mice and asked me to declare war on them with him. All I could think was "Martin, you are an idiot." It was great.
Hilarious. Is this on Mac?
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

SoranMBane

Yes, actually. You can find the Mac system requirements on the game's Steam store page.

Captain Tammo

Quote from: rrrrr on August 24, 2015, 03:16:29 AM
Cool, I know how to play it because I saw my friend play it, but I don't have it. How do you play with the custom map thing?

To make a custom map, I used this page. It described everything I needed to know.

Quote from: SoranMBane on August 24, 2015, 03:12:00 AM

That's pretty awesome! hahaha I wonder how one can go about creating a new, custom civ? I think it'd be a fun thing to get into! Just think: creating all of the major redwall civilizations and facing them off against each other!

rrrrr

rrrrr.....

Ho arr, mateys, swimming is fun!

I had shrimp 'n' hotroot soup today.

Hickory

Just wondering: does it get more detailed than the screen shot you posted, Tammo?

Captain Tammo

Quote from: Sagetip, the hare on November 06, 2015, 11:14:18 PM
Just wondering: does it get more detailed than the screen shot you posted, Tammo?

I can jump in game and post some pictures if you'd like!

So far, I haven't actually made any other maps :(

Hickory