News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Least Memorable Book

Started by Gonff the Mousethief, February 21, 2016, 05:33:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

belle

Quote from: Jet the binturong on March 26, 2016, 02:02:02 AM
Haha! Someone agrees with me!

Quote from: Jet the binturong on February 22, 2016, 09:25:21 PM
Quote from: Capt. Leonardo V Williams on February 22, 2016, 08:57:09 PM
Quote from: Jet the binturong on February 22, 2016, 07:10:49 PM
I think Loamhedge is memorable because of its flaws. I'd probably say it was the worst.

Really? I thought Loamhedge was one of the best! Especially the fight scene at the end, like WOW that must have been the closest to crying I've ever been whilst reading. I didn't see the quest as pointless, I saw it as beautiful

1. The haremaid just needed to believe in herself to walk which is a cop out and also entirely the wrong message to send.
2. Because of this Brag and Saro died for nothing.
3. It was Martin, an omniscient being, that sent them on the pointless quest.
4. That also makes Martin a less likable character.
5. Brag and Saro's death was completely contrived.
6. Lonna goes on a manhunt to wipe out the last of his enemies. Not really the kind of behaviour you expect in a Redwall protagonist.

The characters were interesting and the story could have been good, but the writing was just lazy and full of contrivances and the idea that the only way the haremaid could help was if she just decided she could walk sends a bad message.
Yeah, like some of thr other Redwall books, Loamhedge wasn't awful, but wasn't too memorable, mostly just entertaining because it was Redwall. A book named after the old Abbey seemed like it would be an exciting book. Seemed to me that poor Mr. Jacques was trying desperately to think of something new and not quite doing it. He was  trying to do something new by making characters who acted the way he figured "realistic" teenagers would act instead of the usual heroic characters, and while more flaws might be interesting sometimes in a Redwall character, in this book it just seemed awkwardly done, with the preachy prologue telling us how this was a story of teen characters who were hard headed and proud, just like us. The male hare character was extremely annoying.
But I DID think the ending was beautiful, even if it wasn't as exciting a twist as Jacques might have thought it was and didn't 100% make sense.

Delthion

Scottish dialect and swashbuckling are the best things to grace entertainment. End of discussion. ;D
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Wylder Treejumper

Got to agree there. Rakkety Tam is one of my favorites, along with Martin the Warrior and Marlfox.

HAWAAAAAAY THE BRAW!
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Delthion

Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

lass of something much

Quote from: Cornflower MM on February 21, 2016, 08:22:44 PM
I'd have to say that book with the Sun. . . . Flash? Yeah, Sunflash. And the kestrel and Veil and Bryony and what's-his-name, the mole, is the least memorable book to my mind. The only thing that sticks out in my head is Scarlath and vaguely Nightshade. Also Doomwyte and Sable Queen, I don't remember much about them.
.....The outcast of Redwall. You're talking about the outcast of Redwall.
I personally find it anything but forgettable, but hey. :P As for mine....Lol maybe...Didn't really stick with me, though that might just be because I was very stressed out when reading it..
𝓛𝓪𝓼𝓼𝓲𝓮 𝓕𝓲𝓼𝓱

MeadowR

I often forget what happens in the books not long after I've read them, unless I've read a particular one quite a few times. I can't remember what happens in Eulalia! yet again, so perhaps that is one of my least memorable.
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Flib Bigboat

Quote from: Hickory on February 29, 2016, 07:53:48 PM
Quote from: Wylder Treejumper on February 29, 2016, 06:39:57 PMRogue Crew too bloody.
O' there's blood on the axe,
An' blood on the shield,
An' blood on the swordblade too.
An' if you're a foe of our Rogue Crew,
There'll be blood all over you!
Blood blood! Blood blood–
Yeah, it was my least favorite book, too bloody. And that ottermaid, what was her name? I can't remember... she really loved killing, and even though it was sad when she died it kinda served her right. I mean, if she was going to live by the sword, she'd eventually die by the sword.
Loamhedge wasn't so great, either.
Life is often like pushing a luggage cart through the airport. Sometimes I feel ridiculous, sometimes I look ridiculous, but I just keep pushing that luggage cart, and hoping I'm generally heading in the right direction.
Always keep your word, always finish what you started, and never go unprepared.
In a hole in the ground, there once lived a hobbit.
It's your birthday today, everybeast say hooray, there's a cat licking your birthday cake, it's your birthday today!
Long live the RRR!

WorshipTiria

Well, you have to remember, they raised her to think that slaughter was a good thing and that they should always join in if there is fighting.

The least memorable Redwall book for me was Lord Brocktree. It was intriguing when I read it, I didn't really remember it afterwards.
I'm about to go GREMLIN MODE

clunylooney

"ABSOFLIPPINLUTELY" - Me

MathLuk

Doomwyte, or Diet Pearls of Lutra.
By what strange trick of fate do our paths cross anew?

Link to the Redwall Readership Restorers: https://discord.gg/frYkSzE

clunylooney

Quote from: Delthion on February 22, 2016, 04:51:22 AM
The Rogue Crew without a doubt. There was no battle, most of it was spent dealing with the development of a ship that would have been more intimidating if he had developed it using the whispers of a terrible construct, and the rumors of the woodlanders. The guy that was chosen by Martin was worthless, and there was no point to him.

Loamhedge was awesome. Period. ;D
There was a battle, it was at the end when Razzid crashed through the walls of Redwall abbey.
"ABSOFLIPPINLUTELY" - Me

Mara the Wolf

I could list a few, but then, until recently, I haven't read Redwall in nearly 20 years! Of course I'd forget everything except my favorite big bads (Slagar the Cruel, Tsarmina Greeneyes, Badrang the Tyrant, Urgan Nagru the Foxwolf, Ungatt Trunn, and the adder triplets from Triss), plus of course, the unforgettable Blaggut. And Sela, the best minor villain!

However, a truly forgettable book is Salamandastron. I just finished it a few days ago, and I could see why I'd forget it. The only good characters were Dingeye, Thura, and Farran. Even Dethbrush was forgettable—I for a moment literally forgot his name just now! And while my favorite characters rarely tend to be good guys in this series, I absolutely hate Urthstripe and Pikkle Ffolger, and everyone else is just plain forgettable, whether it be Mara, Samkim, the Goussom, the hares, or even Ferahgo and Klitch themselves! It's an insult to Watership Down that the cover says "In the Tradition of Watership Down"—Watership Down was way better than this, and I've only seen the movie and a few episodes of the 1999 series (which I hated due to Pipkin's characterization). The day I finished the book, I had only three chapters left—24 pages. Those 24 pages were painful—I just wanted it to end already!

Also, may I just say, Gary Chalk's godawful character drawings, as well his horrible vocal performance as Robotnik in Sonic Underground, make me wanna punch Gary Chalk in the face.

EDIT: Apparently, the Garry Chalk who voiced Robotnik in Sonic Underground and Redwall's illustrator Gary Chalk are two separate people. My bad.
Fursonas:
Riley: Mountain lion, Sonic the Hedgehog
Amara: African wild dog, The Lion King/The Lion Guard
Masika: Eurasian river otter, Redwall
Mara: Wolf, general

Hazelsqueak

I did not like Doomwyte at all. It is the only Redwall book I don't care to own or read again. It felt like a boring, unnecessary story.

Tungro

Just browsing through the titles, the ones that popped out in relation to this topic - Loamhedge, Doomwyte, Eulalia, and The Sable Queen. With the latter two most prominent. Not particularly bad, just the ones I barely remember as of now when compared to the rest.

If I had to choose one, probably Eulalia. I don't remember much, but from what I do remember the story was rather plain and the characters undynamic, I had to force myself to finish.

WorshipTiria

I always forget about Salamandastron and Lord Brocktree. It's not that I don't like them, I just forget they exist.
I'm about to go GREMLIN MODE