News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Commentary on the Book Mattimeo

Started by Wylder Treejumper, September 17, 2016, 07:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wylder Treejumper

For discussion related to the book Mattimeo.

@James Gryphon: If these topics are considered unnecessary please delete.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

alexandre

I am currently rereading it, and Slagar is just as much of a loser as I remember him to be  :P
Why they try to tear the mountains down to bring in a couple more
More people, more scars upon the land

~ John Denver

And daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County
Down by the Green River where Paradise lay
Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking
Mister Peabody's coal train has hauled it away

~ John Prine

Ashleg

Quote from: alexandre on October 04, 2016, 02:48:14 PM
I am currently rereading it, and Slagar is just as much of a loser as I remember him to be  :P

Ha ha ha, finally someone else!

Jetthebinturong

I don't understand how Slagar could possibly be construed as a loser. The only reason he doesn't win is plot convenience, not though any fault of his own or particularly great effort on his enemies' part.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Ashleg

Malkariss was in charge of him.

The only reason he kidnapped the kids/teens in the first place was because Malkariss wanted him to.
And he fell into a well. ;0

Jetthebinturong

Slagar always planned to betray Malkariss if I recall correctly. The only reason he worked for him was to get a territory of his own. And he kidnapped the kids at Redwall to get some revenge out of his business. It's not as if Malkariss specifically wanted children from Redwall.

alexandre

Quote from: Jet the binturong on October 04, 2016, 10:17:06 PM
Slagar always planned to betray Malkariss if I recall correctly. The only reason he worked for him was to get a territory of his own. And he kidnapped the kids at Redwall to get some revenge out of his business. It's not as if Malkariss specifically wanted children from Redwall.

I just think Slagar was kind of a fool, in the way he tried to deal with Matthias and co.

~ John Denver

~ John Prine

LT Sandpaw

He buried them in a cave. That's actually pretty smart. He also picked the greatest way to take vengeance out on Matthias. Its not his fault that Matthias proved to be stubbornly impossible to kill.

I really liked how many awesome characters were in this book, and how many were lost as well. Stonefleck, Log-a-log, Warbeak, all amazing characters. Its great to see the heroes thrown into so many tough situations, and it was only a little bit of luck, and a lot of courage to keep going.

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Ashleg

I loved this book.
Slagar seemed lame to me, but everything else except that stupid Cynthia Bankvole makes me proud to call this one of my favorite entries in the series.

Hickory

UGH CYNTHIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!2!2!2!3!2!2!!!!

I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

alexandre

Quote from: LT Sandpaw on October 05, 2016, 01:57:50 AM

He buried them in a cave. That's actually pretty smart. He also picked the greatest way to take vengeance out on Matthias. Its not his fault that Matthias proved to be stubbornly impossible to kill.

I really liked how many awesome characters were in this book, and how many were lost as well. Stonefleck, Log-a-log, Warbeak, all amazing characters. Its great to see the heroes thrown into so many tough situations, and it was only a little bit of luck, and a lot of courage to keep going.

*Punches Sand* I forgot that logalog dies  :'( and I am currently rereading it.

~ John Denver

~ John Prine

Ashleg

Captain Tammo

I'm rereading the book now and I can't say I agree with you guys in saying Slagar is lackluster or a loser. I think the guy is actually very very cunning! Think of his situation: his whole band is a group of bickering idiots, his cargo is a group of surprisingly fierce young ones (one of whom is a badger mind you) that he has to keep alive and in good health for delivery a huge distance away, and to make matters worse, he has a nearly unstoppable force chasing after him all the way. Admit it, he did really really well for what kind of situation he was in.

And another thing: this villain has depth! There's a big reveal in the first part of the story and we find out who he really is. Sure his revenge is all a misunderstanding - he hardly sees what he did as wrong even though it cost Methuselah his life. The best kinds of villains are the ones who think they're doing justice, and that's exactly what Slagar is doing. Well... to an extent.
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Jetthebinturong

Slagar is literally the best. He manages to trick and connive his way into Redwall, knock everyone unconscious and steal away their children. He buries his enemies alive in a cave and the only reason they could get out was plot convenience. He constantly used brilliant strategies to evade his pursuers (erasing their tracks, having them walk backwards out of the cave, using the Painted Ones' forest and the piranha-infested river to delay them) He tricked all of his band into killing each other so he could be the sole person to claim the reward for his service. He worked his revenge into his "career." He tricked Vitch into thinking he was important so that he had a bargaining chip to sweeten the deal with Malkariss and it worked. Malkariss gave him what he wanted. Slagar succeeded in achieving all of his goals, it's not his fault that the plot required him to die.

a crumb

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on October 02, 2017, 11:33:13 PM
Slagar is literally the best. He manages to trick and connive his way into Redwall, knock everyone unconscious and steal away their children. He buries his enemies alive in a cave and the only reason they could get out was plot convenience. He constantly used brilliant strategies to evade his pursuers (erasing their tracks, having them walk backwards out of the cave, using the Painted Ones' forest and the piranha-infested river to delay them) He tricked all of his band into killing each other so he could be the sole person to claim the reward for his service. He worked his revenge into his "career." He tricked Vitch into thinking he was important so that he had a bargaining chip to sweeten the deal with Malkariss and it worked. Malkariss gave him what he wanted. Slagar succeeded in achieving all of his goals, it's not his fault that the plot required him to die.

Amen.

And he had a wildly successful career as an advice columnist and television host after he was dead. Talk about being smart.