Commentary on the Book The Legend of Luke

Started by Wylder Treejumper, September 17, 2016, 07:27:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wylder Treejumper

For discussion related to the book The Legend of Luke.

@James Gryphon: If these topics are considered unnecessary please delete.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Captain Tammo

Do any of the islands in this story show up in any other Redwall books?
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Ashleg

James Gryphon

I don't think we have to assume a disaster happened. It's more likely that, being minor islands, nothing else noteworthy to the Redwallers that showed up in any of the books happened there.

I couldn't tell you the location of any particular Taco Bell I stopped at in the youth trips I've been on, but that doesn't mean that they burned down after I left. ;)
« Subject to editing »

Captain Tammo

"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Ashleg

Quote from: James Gryphon on September 19, 2016, 06:12:36 AM
I don't think we have to assume a disaster happened. It's more likely that, being minor islands, nothing else noteworthy to the Redwallers showed up in any of the books happened there.

I couldn't tell you the location of any particular Taco Bell I stopped at in the youth trips I've been on, but that doesn't mean that they burned down after I left. ;)

But what if they did??  ;D

Hickory

That only happens in France.

The book was a pretty good prequel-prequel, I always liked reading it.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

belle

It was a bit of a disappointment. Martin was not overly interesting, which sucks because how can you make Martin not interesting?! Most of the book was just filler and the hedgehog maid character was pointless. I remember very little about the journey or about Luke. The ending, though, was pretty epic.

Ashleg

Quote from: belle on September 20, 2016, 08:24:21 PM
It was a bit of a disappointment. Martin was not overly interesting, which sucks because how can you make Martin not interesting?! Most of the book was just filler and the hedgehog maid character was pointless. I remember very little about the journey or about Luke. The ending, though, was pretty epic.

Hedgehog maid? I don't even remember a hedgehog maid, she must've been pointless as you say!

LT Sandpaw

That otter cannibal that gave that tail-ring to the hedgehog maid was interesting though. Blown if I remember any names, but I do recall there being very cool moment where Martin proves his sword has magic powers and fixes that one hedgehog's toothache, not to mention Luke's journey across the ocean, and eventual capture was fun to read through.

I don't remember the book being amazing but it wasn't half bad either.

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Hickory

Folgrim. James would remember a mod on RAF named Folgrimeo.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Cornflower MM

Welcome to the fourth book in our series readalong event: Legend of Luke!

For those who have not already seen, here are a couple things to note before you start discussing:

• Please keep your posts here and in the entirety of the General Discussion board on-topic and constructive. When discussing topics like favorites, it always helps to give reasoning as to why you chose your favorite character, scene, etc. When in doubt, add more! It is always fun to see what other people think and respectfully debate with them.
  • If you would like to participate but don't own the book, there are a few resources that may be of use to you. Libby, Audible, and (of course) your local library, are all good ways to rent books/audiobooks for free (Audible is free only for the first 30-day trial). There is no harm in permanently expanding your Redwall collection though if you can afford it!
  • If you want even more Redwall discussion, please check out the Recorder on the Wall podcast episodes for the book! Every three weeks I will be posting the relevant episodes, so please check them out. Here are the episodes for Parts 1, 2, and 3 of Legend of Luke!
  • If you have created any writing, art, voice acting, or any other form of media based on this book and/or its characters, send a link (or image if it is art) to me through PMs and I will share it in this post! Seeing how other people portray the story through their own work is a wonderful way to be drawn deeper into the story and wider Redwall community.

Finally, here are a few guiding questions for discussion if you are unsure what to talk about:

• Who is your favorite character, and why do you regard them as your favorite?
  • Who was your least favorite character, and why did they bother you?
  • What was your favorite scene? What stuck out to you about it?
  • What are your thoughts on the book as a whole? Where does it rank against other Redwall books and why?
  • Do you have any theories or small details others may not have picked up on when reading?
  • And anything else you want to mention!

Have fun, and happy discussing!

WorshipTiria

Quote from: Captain Tammo on September 19, 2016, 05:48:32 AM
Do any of the islands in this story show up in any other Redwall books?

The only places in this book that reappear are the places like Redwall Abbey or Salamandastron that are staples of the series or places that tie in with the warrior family of mice (like the northern mountains where Martin was born). This happens a ton throughout the series like Green Isle in High Rhulain or Riftguard in Triss. Its kind of sad that the Redwallers just... forget about those places after the abbot or abbess that was at Redwall when those were discovered pass on.
I'm about to go GREMLIN MODE