News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Queries

Started by Banya, December 08, 2016, 04:50:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

When should a young adult move away from their parents? (high school refers to public, private, or homeschool education)

when they become a legal adult (age 18) and finish high school, whichever happens later
in their late teens/early 20s, when they finish school, whether high school or higher ed., and begin working
whenever they become totally financially independent, even if it takes several years after finishing school
no matter their higher education/employment circumstances, they should be on their own by their mid- to late-twenties
they don't ever *have* to
other

Banya

This topic is a thought I've had for several months but wasn't sure how to go through with neatly. It's a topic for questions that I have for all of you that may sometimes call for a poll vote and sometimes a short answer, if you feel up to it. It's a little different from other inquiry topics, like James' thread and Ami's Random Questionnaires, in that everything I ask here will be based on 1.) a discussion that originates in one of my college classes, 2.) my campus community, or 3.) my own experiences. So, at least for me, the questions won't be random at all. I will not use your answers as data, and I will always ask permission if I plan to take your answers away from the forum (like using them in a discussion). This makes it sound so serious, but you can look at it like another question topic.

Question 1: Did you study/Are you studying English grammar in high school (or your homeschool high school equivalent)?
If you are still in middle school or the equivalent, sorry to exclude you this round.

This question comes from my course on learning to teach English as a foreign language. I had grammar units in my English classes, both general and AP, each year of high school, but I'm one of the two (of nine) in my current college course who did. I hadn't realized that the study of grammar in high school was dying out until it was brought up by my professor. I won't use your answers for anything; I'm just curious about this trend.

Cornflower MM

Nope. No English for me. However, there may be English in my future, because college. (I might be doing it sooner, though, thanks to a new law)

Grond

Nope or not really. We had a 2 week grammar lesson in grade 10 and a short test/bigger quiz after. We also had to pass an English literacy test in grade 10 but it was kind of a joke- the pass rate was like over 95%.

English class, was mostly about reading novels-predominately Shakespeare analyzing them and then writing the odd essay comparing or contrasting two books or about one. It was kind of useless tbh unless you planned on going to be an English major or something. I wouldn't even say that English class developed writing skills as there would only be like 1 or 2 essays a year (each like 1000 words or so). They were also the typical "hamburger essay"- intro, 3 body paragraphs, and conclusion. Depending on the field, these essays aren't standard.

I'm not really sure how to vote in this poll as its between the first or third option but in all honestly its leaning more towards no- given the short duration of it than the first.

Ashleg

I'm just starting High School, but there's a policy that we have to take it all four years, no exceptions.

Banya

This is honestly interesting. Thank you.

Groddil

In the land downunder, English is compulsory for the first 4 years of High School. In your last two years, you choose between Senior English and English Communication (but you still have to do one of the two). Senior English, which I do, focuses more on skills like analyzing literature and persuasive writing/speaking. English Communication focuses more on grammar, creative writing, and interpreting literature, rather than going into the detail of a full analysis and deconstruction.

If you want to get into university, you have to do Senior English. Otherwise, you do a year-long STEPS course to do the subject (As well as any other subjects required for your course that you neglected to do in High School). English Communication is the subject you do if you're going into a trade apprenticeship or getting a full time job after leaving school.

Hickory

You have 6 years of high school?

??
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Aimless Gallivanter

I'm not sure everyone is on the same page.
there's a distinct difference between English class and Grammar. English classes cover a whole range of things: essays, literature, etc., with grammar lessons usually included in it.
Grammar is all of the rules of the English language: how to use punctuation, proper use of synonyms, sentence structure, etc. In my high school, we only covered grammar in the english class of the first year, but we had English all four years.
im gay!!!!!!

Grond

Just to clarify if it wasn't clear, I had English in all 4 years in high school and it was mandatory. However grammar specifically we just had it for 2 weeks in grade 10.

Banya

Thanks, Galli. I'm not concerned with English classes, just with the study of grammar in English classes. If I'm understanding Groddil right, he doesn't study grammar because it's not covered in the specific English course he's taking.

Groddil

Quote from: Banya on December 09, 2016, 05:20:44 PM
Thanks, Galli. I'm not concerned with English classes, just with the study of grammar in English classes. If I'm understanding Groddil right, he doesn't study grammar because it's not covered in the specific English course he's taking.

Basic grammar was dealt with in our junior years, and was included in the standard English subject everyone has to do. In the last two years, you only need to do Grammar if you do English Communication. University English doesn't require it, because if you're doing that subject you should know how to use grammar anyway.

@Sagetip:

Yes, we do. 7 years of primary school, 6 years of high school. I start my 5th year in late January.

Banya

Poll results: Did you study/Are you studying English grammar in high school (or your homeschool high school equivalent)?

Yes, we have/had grammar units in SOME (at least one year but not all four) of my high school/homeschool HS-level English courses
    - 5 (41.7%)
Yes, we have/had grammar units in ALL FOUR YEARS of my high school/homeschool HS-level English courses
    - 4 (33.3%)
No, I'm not studying/didn't study grammar in my high school/homeschool HS-level English courses
    - 2 (16.7%)
I'm not in high school yet but I want a poll option too
    - 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Thanks for your input, everyone! New question: Does facing adulthood leave you feeling more anxious (nervous, worried, etc.), more excited (optimistic, etc.), or equal parts of both? Is that because of the experiences of others or your own insecurities/reassurances about the future?
Sorry to leave out the younger members again.

Ashleg

We can still relate, we know it's going to happen. ::)

Banya

You're part of the age group included, Ashleg. :) Actually, I guess everyone is. We don't have any 11- or 12-year olds anymore, do we?

Poll results: How are you feeling as you face your impending adulthood?
My anxiety about adulthood outweighs most other emotions.
- 8 (50%)
My excitement about adulthood outweighs most other emotions.
- 1 (6.3%)
I'm perfectly equal parts anxious and excited. I guess this is happening.
- 4 (25%)
I don't have to think about this yet. Send me a postcard from the real world.
- 3 (18.8%)
Total Members Voted: 16

Thanks so much for voting, everyone. I had no idea until now that so many of you have anxiety about the future. That's pretty eye-opening. We'll all face it together.

New question, based on recent events: At what age were you allowed your first drink, what was it, and for what occasion? Mine was champagne to celebrate New Year's 2004. I was nine.

Kitsune

My vote was serious, I just added that note to be silly. ;)