News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Queries

Started by Banya, December 08, 2016, 04:50:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

When should a young adult move away from their parents? (high school refers to public, private, or homeschool education)

when they become a legal adult (age 18) and finish high school, whichever happens later
in their late teens/early 20s, when they finish school, whether high school or higher ed., and begin working
whenever they become totally financially independent, even if it takes several years after finishing school
no matter their higher education/employment circumstances, they should be on their own by their mid- to late-twenties
they don't ever *have* to
other

Banya

Because they want us to know early on that alcohol isn't an evil. In moderation, there's nothing wrong with drinking it.

Eulaliaaa!

Also, most of those votes are probably people who just sampled it from their parent's glass rather than drink their own.
Just pretend there is something interesting and unique written here... I have nothing to say.

Grond

Quote from: Jet the binturong on January 02, 2017, 08:58:35 PM
My findings with alcohol:

Bailey's: Disgusting.
Cider: Nice but has a weird aftertaste - may have just been because it was cheap.
Beer: What I've had was awful, but all beers are different so...
Wine: Tastes bad.
Champagne: Unoffensive, but I really don't get what the big deal is.
Whiskey: Smells so bad I'm never going to drink it.
Rum&Coke: Blech.
Pepsi with Vodka: Just tastes like Pepsi, though I imagine there are stronger mixes, whereas the one I had was weak.

Guess I'm just not an alcohol person.

Yeah people put way to little vodka and way too much pepsi, juice or whatever else in those "cocktails". I never really understood why. If you don't want to taste vodka then just drink the pepsi or juice. If you want vodka drink it straight or at least a decent %. Dunno I always preferred it straight, I've only sometimes added a bit of water to this vodka https://www.masterofmalt.com/vodka/balkan-176-degree-vodka/

Its also harder to tell how much you've had to drink when its mixed up and that can lead to problems.

But as far as the poll goes the first time I tasted alcohol was in my early teens, can't remember the exact age though...

Søren

Yeah. And I only had permission to try it once. ;)

I'm retired from the forum

Kitsune

Quote from: Ashleg on January 03, 2017, 04:16:37 AM
What I'm wondering is why everyone's giving their -10 kids alcohol.
Because party every day!1!!11¡¡11!!!

Wylder Treejumper

Quote from: Banya on January 03, 2017, 04:22:15 AM
Because they want us to know early on that alcohol isn't an evil. In moderation, there's nothing wrong with drinking it.
...objection ;D
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Grond

Quote from: Wylder Treejumper on January 07, 2017, 04:57:10 AM
...objection ;D

Based on your ethical/moral views or ?

Wylder Treejumper

As LDS, we believe that the use of alcohol and all other forms of addictive and mind-altering substances, especially for recreational or social purposes, is not right, whether or not is is accepted by society.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Grond

So then what are your views on: smoking, coffee, soft drinks, energy drinks etc... ?

alexandre

Yes, my thoughts exactly, I am allowed the occasional sip. Wine tastes ok, I'd much rather have kombucha though, I don't like beer at all, those are the only two I've ever had, even then just a tiny bit.
Why they try to tear the mountains down to bring in a couple more
More people, more scars upon the land

~ John Denver

And daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County
Down by the Green River where Paradise lay
Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking
Mister Peabody's coal train has hauled it away

~ John Prine

Lady Ashenwyte

Quote from: Grond on January 07, 2017, 05:32:25 AM
So then what are your views on: smoking, coffee, soft drinks, energy drinks etc... ?

I'm curious about this too.
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

James Gryphon

From my understanding, Mormon doctrine is opposed to them all.
« Subject to editing »

Jukka the Sling

I heard they're okay with soft drinks now.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Maudie

Smoking and coffee are out, but soft drinks and energy drinks are up to the individual. Some Mormons avoid caffeine altogether, others avoid large quantities of caffeine, and others are okay with it.
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Lady Ashenwyte

Quote from: Mask on January 07, 2017, 03:32:59 PM

Smoking and coffee are out, but soft drinks and energy drinks are up to the individual. Some Mormons avoid caffeine altogether, others avoid large quantities of caffeine, and others are okay with it.

That sounds like a pretty healthy way to live.
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.