News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

The Walking Dead

Started by Ungatt Trunn, February 11, 2017, 06:09:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: Sierra on February 12, 2017, 03:32:55 AM
@Ungatt Trunn: Yeah, I saw one or two episodes with him on them over a friend's house and was pleasantly surprised to see that he was on them -I don't think they quite nailed his personality, though, which is a shame- :)
Quote from: Eulalia on February 12, 2017, 03:39:12 AM
Believe it or not, he was a lot more horrible in the comics.
Really now? I find that hard to comprehend... I mean, when you say "more horrible", was it in the sense that he showed less humanity? Because that's the one thing I love about the Governor in the TV show: he does (or at least tries to do) all these terrible things - but underneath it all he still has positive human emotions. Like his bizarre attachment to his zombified daughter (Penny), which made him a possibly psychotic shade, but at the same time it made you sympathies with him because it was a basic but powerful affection (similar to how Hershel viewed the walkers as "sick people" rather than mindless animals). And even though I haven't gotten too far into his story in Season 4, he does some pretty terrible things (murder  :P ), but he didn't do it for his personal gain: he ultimately did it to protect that family he had "taken under his wing".

All of these contrasts of humanity, insensitivity and even sadism, I think, have crafted him into a very deep, complex and, best of all, understandable character in the TV show. He isn't just a "bad guy" - he's a human, like the rest of the survivors are. He just sadly leaned the wrong way in the end...

Life is too short to rush through it.

Eulaliaaa!

No, I don't mean he's a better villain in the comics, I mean he does worse things. :P
Now, I've not actually gotten into the comics, but I have heard what he does. Which is pretty horrible.

But the real question is... should I stay up until 1 in the morning to see the new episode, or do I wait until tomorrow night to see if I'll have the time to watch it?.... hmmm.... ;D
Just pretend there is something interesting and unique written here... I have nothing to say.

Luftwaffles

He does have some -barely noticeable- traces of humanity on the comics... but is an all-around horrible person, just as Eul said.

In all honesty, he's written in such a way that you kind of end up rooting for him after a while. The man is crazy, but he's not necessarily a psycho (well, except for him sitting on a room which has a fish tank full of severed zombie heads in it... that's kind of messed up) and all his crazy planning and willingness to spare no lives to accomplish his selfish goals -one of them turned into a wholesale on-slaughter of his own people due to a grudge with Rick's group- makes him a super engaging villain.

When the daughter was brought up for the first time, it looked like a possible redeeming factor for him, but nah... of course not. It's been a while since I read that part, but I believe that the very next thing he did after feeding his daughter was to head out to torture some more people who have fallen into his city.

I'm also in love with the fact that he wears full anti-riot gear while on the front line... even though he had a tank to begin with ;D 
~Please be sure to join us if ever you are passing~.

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

Ungatt Trunn

@Sierra He didn't have anti-riot gear in the show  :( - he still had that cool eyepatch tho

Luftwaffles

Here you go:

Spoiler
[close]

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

Eulaliaaa!

So, apparently buying a season on Amazon means you only buy the first half. Now guess who stayed up until 1 in the morning to watch the new episode only to realize that and not be able to watch it?
Just pretend there is something interesting and unique written here... I have nothing to say.

Lady Ashenwyte

game of thrones is better

The comics seem interesting but the show looks really dull.
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

Luftwaffles

Quote from: Eulalia on February 13, 2017, 01:15:30 PM
So, apparently buying a season on Amazon means you only buy the first half. Now guess who stayed up until 1 in the morning to watch the new episode only to realize that and not be able to watch it?

Ugh! Don't they even have the courtesy to tell you how many episodes are included on your purchase?

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: Sierra on February 13, 2017, 06:38:45 AM
Here you go:

Spoiler
[close]
He's missing an arm in the comics too???

Quote from: Lord Ashenwyte on February 13, 2017, 01:28:01 PM
game of thrones is better

The comics seem interesting but the show looks really dull.
Keep thy blasphemous comments to yourself!

though game of thrones is pretty good too

Luftwaffles

@Ungatt Trunn: I'm honestly amazed to hear that that happens on the show as well. Do they show how it happened there?

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: Sierra on February 13, 2017, 11:33:39 PM
@Ungatt Trunn: I'm honestly amazed to hear that that happens on the show as well. Do they show how it happened there?
You mean him losing his arm? If that, then I'm not sure... I'm still in the middle of Season 4, and he hasn't lost anything besides his eye. And I haven't ever heard about him losing his arm in the show before, so...

Feles

Minor Spoiler

He doesn't lose his arm in the show
[close]
I am the harbinger of the spicy rooster apocalypse,
I am the hydrogen bomb in a necktie,
I hold the flames of a thousand collapsed stars,
I am Bobracha!

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: Inquisitor on February 14, 2017, 12:08:32 AM
Minor Spoiler

He doesn't lose his arm in the show
[close]
You've ruined the show for me!

But yeah I didn't think he lost it in the show  :P  ::)

Luftwaffles

I'm not entirely surprised, as it would have been hard to film that way.

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: Sierra on February 14, 2017, 01:11:48 AM
I'm not entirely surprised, as it would have been hard to film that way.
True, though they still had Hershel loose the lower part of his leg (though starting in season 4 he wore like a fake foot so...)