They Thought Redwall was Safe! (Is Redwall as Safe as they Say it is? Part 3!)

Started by Ashleg, February 24, 2017, 11:33:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashleg

"I'm about to cut them," Maxy whispered, severing a few more strings until there was barely anything left. "Okay, now!" He hissed. The rope gave way, temporarily forcing his rat friend into free-fall.
Please work!

--

Duncan pulled the key from his pocket and put it in its place, turning once--and then the door creaked open.
"Maxy..?" he whispered, imminently noticing that the doors on his closet hung ajar. Quietly, the hare stepped in, and peered under the bed.
Nothing.
"Bracklew, you may be right. The bloody window is open."

LT Sandpaw

"Does it help that I'm hating being right?" Bracklew asked, unable to look Duncan in the eye. "We could scour Mossflower for the next two seasons and never find him. We don't even know which way he might've gone, at least..." He glanced questioningly at Rayne who shook her head.

"He never mentioned, from what I remember, where those beast who attacked him were." Rayne wished she could have been more helpful, she felt the same pain as them knowing likeable young Maxy could very well be going to his death. And whose fate they may never learn.

Resting his head against the closet door Bracklew tried to think, but too many confused thoughts swirled in his head making it a jumbled mess. "What do we do Duncan?" He asked trying to keep the sense of surrender out of his voice.

~*~*~

For a mere fraction of a moment it seemed Fastooth floated in the air, almost weightless. Then gravity took its toll and he came crashing down upon the tree rat's stomach knocking the wind out of both of them. Fastooth's orginal plan of crushing the other rat's throat flew out the window immediately with his poor landing. Lucky even if they had wanted too neither rodent could cry out, both having virtually no oxygen in their lungs. All they could do was lay still and gasp like decked fish. Fastooth, having the advantage of being on top recovered first and took the initiative, wrapping his claws around the smaller rat's jugular, cutting off all air before his victim could sound an alarm. They struggled in silence, claws scratching and squeezing in until at last the doomed tree rat kicked his last.

Sitting up Fastooth ignored his fresh scratches, instead checking his ankles. It'd hurt but he would be able to walk once Maxy sawed off the bindings. "Hurry little Matey," he urged pointing at his footpaws. "Ye gotta cut these off 'afore we c'n escape. An' ye gotta 'elp me down this tree. I inn't no tree rat."

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Ashleg

Duncan peered out the window at the ground below, finding a mark from Maxy's initial landing but no pawsteps leading in any direction. The squirrel must have tread lightly.
"It's like he vanished out of thin air," whispered the hare, teeth gritting in frustration. "My son, back from who-knows-where and off to the same place once again. Why me? First my wife, then Mixy, and now Maxy by his own means? I will not lose a second child, to Rappy or to any other creature that dare lay a paw on him!"
The retired Long Patrol soldier slumped down on his bed, claws clenching and unclenching bitterly.
"Do any of you know somebeast with a good nose? We can follow his scent."

--

Maxy slid down the tree and crouched behind Fastooth, quickly slashing through his bonds until they gave way and fell off.
He did not even glance at the dead rat.
"Grab my paw," he commanded, shimmying to the end of the branch and scooting down to the one below it. "Do exactly what I do and we'll be down in no time. You're lucky you got stuck with a squirrel and not a hedgehog!"

LT Sandpaw

"Oh aye, an' lucky ye 'ad th' stomach to come back fer me." Fastooth agreed, allowing the squirrel to guide him down. Footpaw after footpaw the big rat descended doing his best not to look towards the dizzying drop, not that he'd have much of a view in the twilight forest. He clenched tight to Maxy's paw, occasionally giving the squirrel an extra squeeze every time he slipped on the bark. He resolved to pay his young companion back in any way possible, he owed him that much. Fastooth never had many real friends, and none living now, but he felt fairly confident he'd never met a creature willing to risk so much to save somebeast they barely knew. Maybe there was something to these woodlanders and their loyalty...

~*~*~*~

"Not with a nose that good." Bracklew slammed the closet doors shut, digging his claws into the wood. He was tired, they needed rest but he couldn't even think of sleeping until Maxy was safe. Stumbly might still be alive if not for his poor decisions, and nobeast else would die do to his laziness. "It'd be all confused in the Abbey main, and even if it could be located and followed we'd be walking blindly hoping we're actually following Maxy's new trail and not an old one."

Ashleg

"Are you okay?" Maxy whispered when they touched ground, squinting in the dark. Rats had better night vision than squirrels. "Let's get away from here, fast--if you're ready."

The red eyes vanished in the darkness.

--

"Maybe..." Duncan began. "Maybe the best thing to do is stay here and wait. I have a feeling he'll come back."

LT Sandpaw

Bending down Fastooth rubbed at his raw, roped-burned ankles, wincing at the slight touch. They hurt but wouldn't impend his ability to run any more than his already injured leg. Besides, if he could climb down a tree without falling due to sore ankles, Fastooth felt confident he could run as well.
"I'll live matey, them likkle half-rats couldn't 'ope to-do permanent damage ter me." He cracked his knuckles in wicked anticipation. "An' I'll pay 'em back tenfold fer e'ry scratch, ye see if I don't. There'll be Hell to pay fer messin' wit' me. But aye yer right, les' make like a tree an' leaf. Ha-harr."

~*~*~

"What other choice do we have?" Bracklew asked, hating the thought of doing nothing. He took a seat beside Duncan on the bed, staring out the open window into the night. "I just hope he's smarter than I was at his age..."

Ashleg

Maxy chuckled bitterly at the joke and took off, checking to make sure Fastooth was behind him before putting on speed.
"We just have to get away from here," he panted. "I--aah!"

Syccidth swooped like a hawk from the tree and cut him off, tackling him to the ground. The squirrel kicked madly and cut with his dagger, eventually able to wriggle free, but only to see Inyoni and six more tree rats hop down and split up, four going to Fastooth.
"Watch out!" he shrieked.

"Chah, Syccidyth got you's now!"

--

"We could follow him, but that just gets us back where we started," said Duncan. Grant decided to make his exit and closed the door behind them, deeming himself not needed anymore. Duncan folded his paws. "I have never known him to be reckless. Hopefully he lives up to that."

LT Sandpaw

The four rats surged forward carried by the weight of their ambush, bowling the larger Fastooth over. They went down in a mass of swishing tails, tears claws and gnashing teeth, the attackers trying to land a devastating blow while Fastooth fought for his very life. Oh, not again ye blackguards! Fastooth thrashed like a landed eel kicking three of the rats away, his jaws clamped down on the fourth biting to the bone. His victim squealed, jerking left and right trying to free himself as hot blood gushed around Fastooth's tongue and teeth. The other three tree rats brought their weapons into play, striking and goring but not getting too close. They'd been reminded all too well of how dangerous this particular rat was.

Releasing the rat Fastooth licked blood from his jowls, his breath coming in ragged gasps. "Maxy, get o'er to me!" He screamed, collecting a solid looking tree branch for a weapon, just in time to block a few glancing blows from the tree rat's cudgels and spears. He looked over towards Maxy in a panic, terrified the squirrel might've already gone down. "I'm coming matey, jus' 'old on, I'll save ye." He barely had time to knock aside a spear thrust which left a crimson line over his eye. But whose gonna save me? He thought, feeling a club strike connect with his shoulder blades.

~*~*~*~

"If Maxy's actually gone after Stumbly's killers..." Bracklew shivered, he didn't even know who'd murdered the young mouse. It could be anybeast, from a gang of vagabonds to trained slayers. "It seems reckless to me." Similar to what Mixy and I did, and what it resulted in... He didn't want to say that aloud with Duncan sitting next to him. A single tear hung heavy in his eye which he wiped away.

"We might as well go stand watch on the walls." Bracklew suggested, thinking it would be better than doing nothing. "If he returns we could open the gates for him."

Ashleg

"Good idea," Duncan agreed. "Let's."
The March hare stepped out of his room and started down the hall, mind racing. His son could already be dead, for all they knew. And the worst part? He could do naught and be sensible.

--

Chief Syccidth had again tackled Maxy to the ground, and the remaining rats that had not gone for Fastooth held back to make sure they did not accidentally strike their leader. The rat and squirrel tussled and scratched, white fur mingling with brown, blue eyes flashing resolutely against red.
"Chikkachik, die, Squirrel, die!"
Maxy grabbed his dagger in his teeth and thrust his paws up to grab the savage rat by the neck. With his superior size, he managed to fling the runty creature up and over him, sending him screaming into his dyed counterparts.

Maxy got up and scrambled over to Fastooth, knocking Inyoni away with the butt of his dagger when she lunged. "Are you faring?" he cried, glancing at his friend. He was glad that Bracklew had taught him to fight, but he feared they stood no chance without resorting to diliberate murder.
The squirrel thought with a twinge and an eventual smirk that Fastooth would be fine with that.

The Skarzs

Afagon's head drooped lower against his chest as he sat in front of a crackling fire. The otter had set up camp near a wide stream, taking a rest from his journey.
  His nose twitched as something brushed against it. Then it happened again, harder this time, and Afagon sat up quickly.
  "Oriff, for season's sake, can't you let me sleep?"
  The mouse Oriff pulled the twig away from his friend's face. "Come on, you said you'd take first watch tonight."
  "So I did. . ." Afagon sighed, then stretched. "Alright, you sleep. But when it comes to your turn, I want no more wood chopping, whistling, singing, or any other noise."
  Oriff looked offended. "Me? Noisy? Why, I can be quieter than a butterfly tiptoeing."
  "Then shut yer gab and show me."
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

LT Sandpaw

"Ye want th' truth?" Fastooth asked, weathering through yet another series of painful blows. He felt himself slowing down, the physical abuse was beginning to catch up to him. He was just one rat after all and could only fight so many of the tree vermin even in peak condition. But now wounded and armed only with a stick his chances of victory seemed very slim and decreasing rapidly.

Sidestepping a clumsy blow Fastooth countered, sweeping his stick low knocking his opponent's paws out from under him. Sensing a desperate opportunity Fastooth grabbed the rat by his ears and tail bodily hoisting him up like a living shield. Tree rats surged from every side screeching in rage but Fastooth charged through, spurred on by desperation. Kicking and biting his way across the small battleground he came up beside Maxy still holding his squealing shield. "I dunno 'ow much longer I c'n last matey. I think me fightin' days are comin' to an' end, oi shut up yew." Fastooth shook the rat he was clutching, only succeeding in making it scream louder. "We need to make a run fer it, we can't fight 'em all. Look there, more be comin'!"

Ashleg

"Well--well!" Maxy glanced around, panting harshly as he battled to keep his foes away. There was no escape, the rats could follow them anywhere.
"Over there!" He suddenly exclaimed, thrusting a paw at an area where the land seemed to peak and drop off.
"Come on!"

The squirrel latched onto Fastooth's paw and began running, pulling him along and hearing the wild hoots of the rats in their wake.
He skidded to a halt at the edge of the cliff, footpaws digging into the gravel.
Dazed, he stared down.
"It's not that high. It leads to a river. Can you swim?"
He cast a glance over his shoulder and let out a terrified gasp. One step and Syccidth and his rats would be able to touch them.
"It doesn't matter! Jump!" Maxy cried. Still holding onto Fastooth's paw, he threw himself from the ledge.

LT Sandpaw

Abandoning his tree rat prisoner Fastooth allowed Maxy to lead him to the cliffs edge trapping them between a small horde of tree rats and the rushing water below.
"No, this won't work I can't swim- Aaaagh Maxy!" Dragged along by Maxy's hold on his paw Fastooth tumbled over the edge his arms wind milling in large frantic circles seeming to hang in the air. Despite his best efforts Fastooth couldn't fly and he fell backward splashing into the icy river. He sank at first water filling his nose and mouth before he bobbed up gasping for breath. Thrashing about like a madbeast he struggled to keep his muzzle up, feeling the water dragging at his raggedy fur pulling him back down.

Ashleg

A flash of white and blue burst, gasping, from the chilly water, and Maxy paddled urgently over to the thrashing Fastooth, trying to grab onto his arm. Oh no, oh no, oh no!

"Stop panicking!" he yowled. "You're going to kill us both that way!" He dodged as Fastooth's elbow almost cracked him between the ears. Water sprayed him in the face, nearly choking him for a moment.
He dug his claws hard into the rat's arm as he held him there. "I have you--you're not going to drown, Fastooth." Unless you stay in your hysteria.

LT Sandpaw

Grabbing ahold of Maxy, the big rat held on for dear life, consequently dragging his smaller companion down with him. Fastooth remained in full blown panic, his eyes wider than dinner saucers, footpaws kicking wildly as he tried in vain to gain purchase in the water. Exhaustion weighed at his limbs lessening his frantic splashing, instead he jabbered terrified gibberish, displaying an innate terror at being in water deeper than his waist.