News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

They Thought Redwall was Safe! (Is Redwall as Safe as they Say it is? Part 3!)

Started by Ashleg, February 24, 2017, 11:33:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hickory

"Ah, somebeast else."

Rowan faced the Abbot. "I was traveling to the Abbey and approached this gate, only to find the body. How horrific-"

She took a quick glance at the corpse before turning away. "This rat thought I was the killer! I assure you, he is quite wrong."
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Ashleg

"Give the rat patience..." Grant murmured, gazing down at the body that lay below them and feeling his stomach tighten up.
The mouse waved his paw.
"Get inside, both of you!" he snapped. "We will discuss this there."

Fang glared at Rowan as he was ushered through the gate.
"Poor Stumbly," he cried, wheeling round and pointing at the Abbot. "Y'can't jus' leave 'er there!"

"We will go fetch her once everything is secure. Go show our guest here to the Cavern Hole, and be civil." Grant commanded. "I will be right with you."

Fangfang nudged the squirrel in what was meant to be an aggressive way and started walking.

LT Sandpaw

OOC: Sorry for not posting, but I've been busy with the Marines. Just so ya'll are reminded I'm leaving in less then two weeks now, we might want to make a plan on what we're going to do.

IC:

"Uh, alright." Rayne whispered back, pulling her sleeve from Rapshade's grasp. "Hush now Rappy," she said in a louder voice. "You will heal in time, lay back and let the medicine do its work."
She left the ferret's bedside and pulled a chair over to Maxy, pressing the young squirrel back down onto the pillows.
"How are you feeling?" She inquired taking a seat. Rayne considered finding Grant, but the Abbot had been up as late as her, and was most likely resting. She could report back to him when he woke. "Can you tell me what happened last night Maxy?"

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Ashleg

OOC-
I would propose a total hiatus but that would suck.
You know you better than us, Sand, what do you think would make the most sense in this situation and how frequently (if ever) do you guess you'll have internet during this?
IC-
"I-uh...what..." Maxy mumbled, disoriented.
He squinted at Rapshade and then at Rayne and decided not to ask, making the conclusions himself.
After he fainted outside the Redwallers must have found him and taken him in.
The white squirrel grinned nonchalantly. "I got attacked by Painted Ones, that's all. Where's Dad?"

LT Sandpaw

OOC: Like never, for three months.  :-\

I was waiting for Groddil to post at Riverblue, but I think he's given up on this RP.

IC:

"Your dad is out searching for you Maxy, with Bracklew as well. They were worried when you didn't show up last night and missed you by about an hour. The Abbot will probably send somebeast to tell them you're okay and they'll be back by noon."
Rayne couldn't believe the nonchalant way Maxy had just described his attackers. Any other Abbey novice Maxy's age would be trembling in horror at the traumatic events of being attacked.

"Do you know where Stumbly is by any chance Maxy?" Rayne inquired gently. "Was she with you when the Painted Ones attacked?"

Ashleg

OOC-
I guess a temporary hiatus it is. Sucks.

Is that true, @Groddil ? If it is, I can work something out with Sage and Sand. If not, great...because I had posted with Rern long ago and Sand needs you at RiverBlue.
IC-
Maxy bit his lip.
"No...Stumbly and I split up and I haven't seen her since. I don't know if she went to RiverBlue or not."
Was Stumbly in danger? He felt guilty.
Stumbly could possibly be hurt, and what about Bracklew and his father? The squirrel shifted and glanced about himself, examining his wounds and where he was patched up.

Nothing hurt too much, he just felt sore, and his mind was fuzzy.
That was when there was a knock at the door.
Rapshade was visibly startled, but Maxy merely flicked his gaze over it.

In walked the Abbot.
"Oh..." The old mouse stated blandly, "You're both awake. That...puts a damper on things. Rayne, can you please leave them alone a moment? I must speak with you."

Groddil

OOC: I'm very busy right now. Heaps of exams, assignments, work, and other really bad stuff. I have no idea what I'm supposed to do, either.

Hickory

Rowan shrugged off Fang's nudge. "What's up with you..." she muttered to herself.  "So, what's this Cavern Hole the mouse mentioned?"

Ashleg

"Oh, Cavern 'ole is great!" said Fang cheerily, seeming to have forgotten the conflict at hand.
He turned and scuttled back to drop at Rowan's side. "It's a great old room where everybeast relaxes or plays games," the rat illustrated. "An' 'tis really cozy. Sometimes we eat in there..."

Hickory

"Sounds better than anyplace I've been," replied Rowan, already imagining the den Fangfang was describing. The traveler had been living in relative poverty, the woods providing plenty of shelter but not consistent cover from the elements. Not to mention the inevitable lack of food...

Ashleg

Fangfang raced down the hallway and skidded to a stop at the door, propping it open with his footpaw as he waited for Rowan to pass.
"Yeah, me too," he said excitedly. "I was a pirate fer most of m'life. Can ye believe it?"
He let the door close none too quietly after the new guest got inside.
"Say, but you're a squirrel!" gasped the rat, like he was just discovering something. "Where could y'possibly been that's bad?"

LT Sandpaw

OOC: Man I'm rusty, sorry for my lack of creativity, I've been doing a lot of sleeping lately and that doesn't help the writing flow. Nevertheless I figured this was better then nothing so.... Yeah.

IC:

"Certainly Father Abbot. Lay back and try to rest Maxy, I'm sure the Abbot will want to speak to you next." Rayne stood, dusting off her paws, her throat tightening as she did. She couldn't say if it was the tired look of grief on Grant's face, or the way he seemed to sag under the weight of the world, but something wasn't right. Maxy's own story of the Painted Ones, and the thought of the little barbarians being loose out in Mossflower was enough to send chills down her spine. The last thing the Abbey needed was more bad news, especially with their two best warriors gone, and no guarantee on when they might return.

She crossed the small distance separating herself from Grant, making sure to keep her voice low so neither Rapshade nor Maxy could overhear her. "We can speak privately in the hall. Is there news? From Duncan and Bracklew?" She enquired hopefully, stepping out into the empty hall.

OOC:

So, how are we going to reincorporate all of our characters who were interacting with Groddil's?

Ashleg

"No." said Grant blandly, clicking the door shut behind him.
The old mouse's face was completely devoid of its typical light and happiness when he finally locked his eyes with the healer's.
"The thing is...I do not want to speak with Maxy after this," he whispered. "Fangfang found Stumbly by the gate. She is...she's dead, Rayne. Somebeast killed her."

--

Maxy hopped out of bed and travelled over to the door, where he pressed the side of his head up against the wood. Nothing.
He snorted and turned around, paws folded over each other.
"I don't think I've ever talked to you," he remarked to Rapshade, stepping up beside his bed. "Nothing real, anyway. My dad says you're a monster."

Rapshade looked away.

"But I've watched you do things for my whole life and you seem like a good listener," Maxy continued as he prodded the ferret's arm. "You're Rappy, right? Why are you crying?"
When the ferret did not reply, Maxy reached a white paw over and tugged sharply on his chain.
"Just because I'm being nice doesn't mean you don't have to obey me."
He sat down on the edge of the prisoner's bed. "Why are you--"

"I'm not."

--

At Riverblue, Bracklew was greeted with a lovely surprise: Charm.
The black otter came stepping out from between two buildings, flanked by former Vigil soldiers.
"Bracklew? From Redwall?"

OOC-
That. And I'm taking the villain--everyone else of his is up for grabs. Otherwise we can have them leave/be killed off. If somebeast could take Drubble that would be especially awesome.

LT Sandpaw

A horrified gasp escaped Rayne as her dark suspicions were unwelcomely confirmed. She shrank back against the red stone wall wrapping her mind around what Grant had said. Dead, gone forever. Bright hearted and adventurous young Stumbly, murdered at some villain's cruel whim.

"Why," Rayne bemoaned dabbing at her eyes with her wide habit sleeve. "Why must some creatures be so heartless? And I know just the beasts who did it too! It must've been the Painted Ones, they attacked Maxy last night, he said so himself. They must have caught poor Stumbly wandering around outside alone and-" Her voice broke in sorrow and she paused to rub her nose.

"One of us should tell Maxy."

~*~*~*~*~

"In the fur and flesh." Bracklew chuckled raising his paw in greeting. He checked around for Duncan but the hare had disappeared, most likely off to find food. He'd turn up later, the squirrel wasn't concerned. Duncan was perfectly capable of taking care of himself.

"You're just the otter I was hoping to see." Bracklew said when Charm drew closer. "We- as in me and Duncan, I'm not sure where he went, are here on business. Two youngsters from Redwall were ah, wandering through Mossflower in this general vicinity yesterday, and didn't return in the evening as expected. I was hoping they'd come here." Bracklew indicated the semi-large town resting on the waterfront. "I think Stumbly's been to Riverblue a few times... You haven't seen them have you? A young squirrel named Maxy, and a mouse named Stumbly?"

Ashleg

"The names sound familiar," said Charm, scratching her chin.
"But there's been nobeast around here declaring they're from Redwall. What do they look like?"

--

"If you can handle that, I would greatly appreciate it." Grant whispered softly.
"There is a visitor downstairs, and she's waiting for me with Fang. We will hold a ceremony for Stumbly at twilight."

The name, the Painted Ones, swirled around in his mind.

Should they send beasts out to fight them, or would that just end in an eternal circle of bloodshed and despair?
No. We will not send anybeast out to attack them unless they come to us...if they aren't already outside our walls.
The Abbot shuddered.
Slowly, he placed his paws on Rayne's shoulders and tried to lock eyes with her.
"We must remember to stay strong for Maxy's sake."

--

"Yes you are, I'm seeing it! Why are you..."
The rest of the sentence fell flat on Maxy's tongue and nothing else was uttered.
Rapshade was staring sideways at the door.
So much for him being a good listener, the squirrel thought, rolling his eyes.

"Wait, did you hear that?"

The prisoner nodded once.

"What was it?"

"A gasp, Sir. Sounds upset."