News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Fantasy CYOA Thing

Started by Groddil, March 28, 2017, 08:19:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Ashenwyte

Pick up the ball and conceal it. Go inside my room.
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

Groddil

You walk down to the landing and pick up the ball. Concealing it within your cloak, you return to your room and fit the key into the lock. You shove the door open, revealing a small, relatively clean room. A small table and a chair have been stuffed into one corner, near a cupboard, and some linen has been laid on the bed. Straw-stuffed mattress, but you've seen worse. You close the door behind you and examine the ball. It appears to be solid, though quite light for a ball of metal. Numerous carved patterns stretch across the dark metal surface, but none appear to mean anything. You poke the ball with your finger, causing the metal to light up red where you touched it. Now you're curious. You pick the ball up with your hand. Explosions of red cross the object's surface as you grasp it, tossing it into the air.
"Now then. What's your purpose?"
"I'd like to know that too."
You whirl around to see the old Sun Elf from the gate standing in the doorway.
"Y'know, kid, when I saw you, and heard what you said, I sized you up. You look like a fine warrior, not the sort to throw your life away. I have a proposition for you, if you're interested."
"Go on."
"I represent... An organization not many know exists. We're not technically aligned with anyone, but we have a job to do."
"How does this job have anything to do with guarding the gate at what is easily the worst of the Great Cities?"
"Recruiting. My organization was formed a few years back after the first Northern Expedition was wiped out. Official story says bad preparation and bad weather. Our founder knew better. You ever seen a Sakkaza Battlemage in action? Well up there they ran into some kind of magical anomaly. Something stronger than anybody's ever seen. There were three Sakkaza Mages on that expedition. Three. And even they couldn't deal with it. We've been trying to find out what's going on. And we've found out."
"What does this have to do with me?"
"We found a ball like that up there. Exactly the same, except the one we found was the size of a horse, buried in the snow. Nobody's ever seen anything like them. The metal is unknown to all the smiths in the Kingdoms, to say nothing of how it lights up like that. I can tell you more, but you need to come with me."

What do you do?

Inventory

Weapons
Rusty Dagger - A small steel dagger, covered in rust.

Apparel
Ragged clothing - Some clothing that has seen better days.
Fur Cloak - A heavy fur traveller's cloak.

Aid

Books

Misc
80 Culani Coins - Coins used as currency throughout the Culani Kingdoms.
Room Key - A key to your room in the inn near Silaha's market.

Quest Items

Junk

[close]
[/quote]

Lady Ashenwyte

Follow him, but keep my dagger at the ready just in case.
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Groddil

"Fine."
You toss your cloak back over your shoulder and shove the metal ball into one of the pockets with your dagger, which you grip tightly just in case. The sun elf hands you 20 coins and leads you towards the inn's exit.
"Good. I figured you'd be willing to hear what I have to say. I've got a feeling you won't be staying at this inn for much longer, so here's the money you paid. Goodwill gesture."
You follow the elf down the staircase, while the innkeeper looks at you strangely.
"Name's Maluril, by the way. Ironically, we're heading to another inn. A tavern, really, on the other side of town. Much busier than the ramshackle one by the entrance."
"Why a tavern?"
"Perfect hideout. Plain sight, no interference from the locals. Means we can get out work done easier. Now that I know you're willing to hear us out, I think I can tell you more."
You follow Maluril out into the square, then into an alley.
"Less prying eyes. Anyway, here's the lowdown. Or at least, as much as I know. The Culani Kingdoms have everywhere under their thumb except two places. Your lands, and the North. The North went unnoticed for decades, due to how inhospitable it was. Then we started hearing stories. Shangri-La, Oasis, whatever you want to call it. Some explorers had found that if you went far enough, the snow receded, and the place becomes gorgeous. Fertile farmland, forests full of food, precious minerals, all of that good stuff. So the Culan send an expedition. It gets wiped out, as I've told you. My organisation gets formed shortly after by an Ee'Rakka who survived the trip. He found a giant orb buried in the snow, radiating some sort of strange energy. One of the Sakkaza Battlemages tries to get a closer look at the thing, and just like that, he crumples to the ground in fried heap. No flames, nothing. Just a dead Battlemage and the smell of calamari for miles. The founder passed a few years back, so there's a Culan in charge now. You'll meet him in due time, once we get to the Tavern. I'm one of the mages, even if I don't look it. I'm no Sakkaza, but they're in pretty high demand at the moment so they have to put up with me. I've been screening the city entrance for some time. Looking for capable individuals, signs of magical disturbances, Shizara hordes, and anything else the organisation considers important."
"What's the organisation called, anyway? You seem hesitant to say."
"Doesn't have a name. We found out quickly that we can do our job much easier the less conspicuous we are."
Maluril rounds a corner into another square, much more prosperous than the first.
"Welcome to the real Silaha. The whole lower district if full of beggars and thugs. Most travellers never even think to venture deeper in. Just make assumptions."
"Huh."
"Here we are..."
The Sun Elf brushes past an elderly woman clutching a basket of goods, and into a large tavern. A sign swings from the balcony, informing you of the establishment's name.
"The Intoxicated Ee'Daal. How quaint."
You follow Maluril through the doors, into the bustling alehouse. Two young women ferry drinks and meals to many jovial (or drunk) customers, seated around a bar. The bartender, a young Culan, grins at Maluril.
"A new one?"
"Aye, Frenko. And important. We'll talk later."
"Boss is down below, Maluril. As always."
The Sun Elf leads you to the top of a staircase leading below the tavern, before turning around abruptly.
"This is it. If you're to follow me down those stairs, you need to be absolutely sure you want to be a part of this. I've told you what I know. Can we count on your help..."
"Sulepharion."
"Right, Sulepharion. Well?"

What do you do?

Inventory

Weapons

Apparel

Aid

Books

Misc
100 Culani Coins - Coins used as currency throughout the Culani Kingdoms.

Quest Items
Strange Orb - An oddly light ball made of a dark, unknown metallic substance. Covered in unrecognisable carvings, and lights up when touched. Uses unknown.

Junk

[close]
[/quote]
[/quote]

Lady Ashenwyte

Groddil

You let out a muffled sigh.
"Lead the way."
"Good choice."
You follow the Sun Elf down the staircase into a cellar, stocked with barrels and foodstuffs. In one corner of the cellar, mounted on the wall, is a skull which Maluril places his hand on."
"Maluril. Organise the Cellar."
The skull's eye sockets briefly flash blue, and a soft crack emanates through the cellar. One of the nearby kegs cracks in half, revealing a passage in the stonework.
"Follow me."
The elf ducks his head into the passage and clambers through into another, larger room. Weapons, vials of mysterious substances, and books litter the room.
"Don't mind the mess. Boss is on his way."
Maluril inspects a few open books on a nearby table as Frenko, the Culan innkeeper, clambers through the passage, which shuts behind him.
"Sulepharion, meet the current leader of the organisation."
"A pleasure. I'm Frenko. I trust Maluril's filled you in as best he can?"
You nod.
"Excellent. So, why are you so important to the cause?"
"Show him the ball."
You take the metal ball out of your cloak and hand it to Frenko.
"Amazing... I've seen the sketches... This is exactly like what the Founder encountered up north."
"Just smaller, though, right?"
"Exactly. And it hasn't killed Maluril yet, so we can tick this off as being less of a threat to our existence as its big brother."
"I'm not holding my breath, Frenko. There's no way this is a co-incidence. Where did you get this?"
"A Shizara dropped it in the inn. He wasn't happy about leaving it behind."
"A Shizara? The Shizara weren't among the northern expeditions. Far too xenophobic for that. We have to assume the worst."
"That he knows this orb is a magical anomaly, and that he intended to use it."
"Correct, friend. Absolutely correct."
"You've done us a great service, Sulepharion. I can't imagine what the Shizara would do with something connected to that northern orb. We'll get right to work studying this ball."
"And tracking down that Shizara. I'll ensure one of our... bigger members is sent to investigate. So, Sulepharion, is it? I'm indebted to offer you a reward for finding this, but I'd much rather give you something other than coin. I'd like to extend to you an offer to join the organisation. Maluril already told me about how he sized you up as a good fighter beforehand, and how you were on your way to join the army. You'd be of much better use here, helping us find out what's going on up North and putting a stop to it. And of course, trying to help deal with the impending civil war. It's what we do, friend. We solve problems others can't."
Frenko places the Orb on a nearby table and takes a longsword from the wall. Shining silver, with a golden 'O' emblazoned on the crossguard. He cuts his palm open and lets the blood run down the sword's blade.
"Take the sword. Take it and recognise yourself as a blood brother to me. To all of us."

What do you do?

Inventory

Weapons

Apparel

Aid

Books

Misc

Quest Items

Junk

[close]

Lady Ashenwyte

I take the sword, and do what Frenko did.

Groddil

You take the sword and cut your palm. Frenko grasps your hand firmly.
"Welcome to the organisation, Sulepharion. Keep the sword."
The Culan staunches his bleeding palm on a nearby rag and points to a large book.
"Maluril. Page 13, was it? Hold on, Sulepharion, I'll talk more in a moment."
"The sketches? Aye."
The Sun Elf flips the tome open as Frenko tosses you the rag.
"Here it is. The sketches, and an account of what happened. Sketches line up with the orb we recovered, even down to here: 'Gives off light bright as flame when touched.' When the Battlemages neared the orb, the air reportedly become... how do I say it... hotter. But not hot like fire. Hot like... a stinging pain. The Battlemages died instantly, as did an Ee'Daal scholar standing next to one of them. Gave off the aroma of burning flesh, yet the scorch marks were less consistent with being burned, and more like being struck by lightning."
"So despite appearances, the orb has nothing to do with fire?"
"It would seem so. But what about the one we have here?"
Maluril lightly taps the orb, and recoils, swearing in Ee'Tohra.
"Gah! Yes, definitely. Feels like your sword hilt after a thunderstorm. Or when you messed up a Lightning Bolt spell that one time and burned down half the library."
"So the orbs, both of them, give off a magical disturbance, this much we know..."
"Which interferes with mages, in this case by literally frying the power straight out of them."
"Curious. We need to find out what the Shizara who had it knows. Sulepharion, you don't know where he went? He didn't say anything?"
"No."
"Hmm. We'll be a little while longer, trying to plan our next move. You should head up to the tavern, get acquainted. All the tavern staff, plus everyone with rooms on the third floor, are with us. Get to know them, I'll be topside shortly with something you can do."

What do you do?

Inventory

Weapons
Silver Longsword - A shining silver longsword with a golden 'O' emblazoned on the crossguard. Issued to all members of the mysterious organisation led by Frenko.

Apparel

Aid

Books

Misc

Quest Items

Junk

[close]

Lady Ashenwyte

Head up to the tavern, and strike conversation with the tavern staff. It is likely I am being watched, so do not talk with anyone else.

Groddil

"Fine."
"Hold on. Need to be acquitted."
"Huh?"
Maluril presses his hand against yours, fingertips glowing with magical energy.
"Sulepharion. Let it be known."
"What?"
"Making sure the skulls know you. They're talismen, if you will. I bound one of them to in here and one in the Tavern Cellar, to reveal the path to this room. Just place your palm on them and say your name, followed by 'Organise the Cellar,' the passcode. Off you go."
You nod, and clamber into the passage. Sure enough, another skull has been wedged into the rock near the exit. You place your palm on it.
"Sulepharion. Organise the Cellar."
The skull flashes, as the rock wall in front of you disappears. The large keg behind it splits in two, allowing you out into the tavern proper. One of the waitresses, another Ee'Shann, stares at you from the top of the stairs.
"If you went down with Maluril and Frenko, then came back alone, that means you're one of us. New guy, huh?"
You nod.
"Name's Lucille. I'll round up the others, so we can all find out who the newest member of the team is."
Lucille scurries off before you reach the top of the stairs. She and the other waitress walk into the tavern's kitchen, carrying empty trays. An old Falkan on the third floor landing exchanges glances with the young elf, before knocking on the door behind him. By the time you reach the kitchen, more members of the organisation crowd in behind you. The cook, a Culan, puts down his stewpot.
"New member?"
Lucille nods.
"Welcome to the family..."
"Sulepharion."
"Pull up a chair."
The members of the organisation find seats around the kitchens, with the cook stepping into the centre of the floor.
"So, who are you? Why'd Frenko choose ya?"
"I found a miniature version of the orb from up north."
Several gasps and whispers echo through the kitchens.
"Shuddup! 'Ell's Bells, you're serious, aincha? Well then, we certainly is lucky to 'ave ya. Name's Talmot. Cook by day, swordsman by night."
"Lucille. Waitress by day, assassin by night."
"Pah! Callin' yourself fancy names now Lucille? All ya do is lure in the bad guys an' slit their throats. Honey trap ain't exakly professional contract killin.'"
"Hmph."
The old Falkan taps his throat briefly, before his palm lights up with magic. Words cut themselves into the floor in front of you.
"They call me 'Phillip,' though my true name is long forgotten. While not up to Maluril's standards, I am one of the organisations mages."
The words disappear as soon as you read them, and the second waitress, a Culan tosses a dagger into the air.
"Rayya. Frenko tells me to do something, I do it. Not much else."
"Talkative t'day, aincha Rayya?"
"Shut it, Talmot."
An Ee'Daal sitting next to you taps you on the shoulder.
"I'm not much anymore, but the name's Urakul. Gettin' older, but most o' the information we have at our disposal is from my contacts."
One by one, the others introduce themselves. You count just under twenty introductions, from various races, when a Shizara steps into the kitchen.
"Froki. Frenko keeps me around because I'm good to have around because of my kinsman. I fight. They die. I talk. They listen."
Froki disappears as soon as he appears, followed by the rest of the organisation's members. Lucille presses a key into your palm.
"There's more of us than you've seen. Quite a few are preoccupied, or don't live down here. But you need a place to stay. Third floor, room seventeen is free. Everyone usually gets a master key to the whole tavern, but it'll take a while for me to have you one made."
"Thank you."
As you leave the kitchen, Frenko and Maluril appear from the staircase.
"Ah, Sulepharion. I trust you're acquainted with the others? Good. Maluril and I have decided that we need you and Rayya to head down to the inn near the city gate and find out whatever you can about our Shizaran friend, the one who had the orb. Up to it?"

What do you do?

Inventory

Weapons
Silver Longsword - A shining silver longsword with a golden 'O' emblazoned on the crossguard. Issued to all members of the mysterious organisation led by Frenko.

Apparel

Aid

Books

Misc
Room Key - A key to your room in The Intoxicated Ee'Daal.

Quest Items

Junk

List of Notable Organisation Members

Frenko - Culan, leader.
Maluril - Aging Ee'Shann, mage.
Lucille - Young Ee'Shann, 'assassin'
Rayya - Young Culan, not very talkative
Talmot - Culan, swordsman
'Phillip' - Old Falkan, mage, mute
Urakul - Old Ee'Daal, knowledge broker
Froki - Shizara, warrior
[close]
[close]

Groddil

Groddil

Lady Ashenwyte

Groddil

"Yes."
"Thank you. Do you need anything before you head off?"

What do you do?

Inventory

Weapons

Apparel

Aid

Books

Misc
Room Key - A key to your room in The Intoxicated Ee'Daal.

Quest Items

Junk

List of Notable Organisation Members

Frenko - Culan, leader.
Maluril - Aging Ee'Shann, mage.
Lucille - Young Ee'Shann, 'assassin'
Rayya - Young Culan, not very talkative
Talmot - Culan, swordsman
'Phillip' - Old Falkan, mage, mute
Urakul - Old Ee'Daal, knowledge broker
Froki - Shizara, warrior
[close]
[close]

Lady Ashenwyte

No. Get me a beer after this though, will ye?