News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

How Old Is Redwall?

Started by Ferdy and Coggs, December 31, 2011, 07:15:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rakkety tam

i would say around 500 SEASONS
rock'n'roll  will survive

25% nerd 25% redneck 25% rocker 25% Redwaller  100% me

If war must come, let it come during my generation, so that my children will know peace

Bragoon

But Tam, Doogy just pointed out that it's at least more than a thousand seasons as of Doomwyte. 
"For the whole Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable to to teach, to convince, to correct, and to instruct in righteousness." - II Timothy 3:16

MatthiasMan

Well Redwall is still standing today actually. So it's about a long time.

Coobreedan

Quote from: MatthiasMan on April 06, 2012, 10:33:25 PM
Well Redwall is still standing today actually.

How do you know that?
I won't be on this forum much anymore, but I'll pop in to say hi every now and then.

Søren

Quote from: Coobreedan on April 12, 2012, 08:29:56 PM
Quote from: MatthiasMan on April 06, 2012, 10:33:25 PM
Well Redwall is still standing today actually.

How do you know that?
I think because The Rouge Crew was written recently.

I'm retired from the forum

MatthiasMan

No. Brian Jacques got the red walls from a building in his home town, so technically it's still standing.  ;D

alderbowbeast

In response to your question.  We know that Redwall was officially complete at the end of Mariel of Redwall with the addition of the Joseph bell.  However, the construction of Redwall began early on, during the prime of Martin and Gonff.  The building of Redwall, minus the Joseph Bell, is three generations old in Mariel of Redwall as Dandin claims that Gonff  was, "the father of my father's father" or great grandson.  However, there can be some dispute in this as Bryony from The Outcast of Redwall is also a great grandchild of Gonff.  More than likely they are cousins of two of the Gonff lineage as we do not know how many children Gonff II or Gonff III had.  After this the age of Redwall becomes somewhat difficult to track as we do not know how much time has expired between the books.  We do know that Rufe Brush is mentioned in Salamandastron when the records are examined as to how Martin's sword fell from the sky.  Abbot Saxtus is also mentioned by the infirmary keeper who remembers him from his dibbon days as "old Abbot Saxtus."  So that is another generation gone by.  Between Salamandastron and Redwall we do not know how much time has passed save for a great deal of time, at least long enough for relative peace to be achieved in Mossflower as compared to the events in the previous books.  After Redwall the timeline is very easy to track as between Redwall and Pearls of Lutra there are three generations of the Matthias legacy.  Now we are up to roughly 12-15 generations from the construction of the abbey or roughly 240-300 years (or seasons).  
In The Long Patrol Arven has grown up and become Abbey Warrior.  Then in Marlfox Abbess Tansy is dead and Abbess Song takes over.  Finally, in Taggerung Abbess Song is dead and Abbess Mhera takes over.  We can add four more generations to our total to bring it to 16-19 generations or roughly 320-380 years/seasons.  Now we come to Triss.  All we know about Triss is that Skippers ancestor was Deyna, the Taggerung.  How long that might be is hard to tell so let us assume 4 generations have gone by since the events of Taggerung.  After this we have the final books of the series: Loamhedge, Rakkety Tam, High Rhulain, Eulalia, Doomwyte, Sable Quean, and The Rouge Crew.  None of these books has any similar characters through which we can track the age of Redwall, however, we do know that they occur in chronological order, so let us assume the span of time between each book to be two generations witht he events in a book to be a third giving us 21 total generations.  Adding that number to our total gives us roughly 40 generations or about 800 years/seasons.
Allow me to remind critical readers that this is only an estimate based on the evidence given in the books to the best of my ability to understand it.  The books only sometimes connect to one another so my number is merely a rough calculation, not an exact figure.

-Alder, Recorder of Redwall and Mossflower Country
Alder, Recorder of Redwall Abbey and Mossflower Country

Leatho Shellhound

Well done, That seems about right.
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

Tam and Martin

That is AWESOME I never thought about it that way

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

321tumbler

winifred

Quote from: alderbowbeast on March 03, 2013, 07:44:18 AM
In response to your question.  We know that Redwall was officially complete at the end of Mariel of Redwall with the addition of the Joseph bell.  However, the construction of Redwall began early on, during the prime of Martin and Gonff.  The building of Redwall, minus the Joseph Bell, is three generations old in Mariel of Redwall as Dandin claims that Gonff  was, "the father of my father's father" or great grandson.  However, there can be some dispute in this as Bryony from The Outcast of Redwall is also a great grandchild of Gonff.  More than likely they are cousins of two of the Gonff lineage as we do not know how many children Gonff II or Gonff III had.  After this the age of Redwall becomes somewhat difficult to track as we do not know how much time has expired between the books.  We do know that Rufe Brush is mentioned in Salamandastron when the records are examined as to how Martin's sword fell from the sky.  Abbot Saxtus is also mentioned by the infirmary keeper who remembers him from his dibbon days as "old Abbot Saxtus."  So that is another generation gone by.  Between Salamandastron and Redwall we do not know how much time has passed save for a great deal of time, at least long enough for relative peace to be achieved in Mossflower as compared to the events in the previous books.  After Redwall the timeline is very easy to track as between Redwall and Pearls of Lutra there are three generations of the Matthias legacy.  Now we are up to roughly 12-15 generations from the construction of the abbey or roughly 240-300 years (or seasons).  
In The Long Patrol Arven has grown up and become Abbey Warrior.  Then in Marlfox Abbess Tansy is dead and Abbess Song takes over.  Finally, in Taggerung Abbess Song is dead and Abbess Mhera takes over.  We can add four more generations to our total to bring it to 16-19 generations or roughly 320-380 years/seasons.  Now we come to Triss.  All we know about Triss is that Skippers ancestor was Deyna, the Taggerung.  How long that might be is hard to tell so let us assume 4 generations have gone by since the events of Taggerung.  After this we have the final books of the series: Loamhedge, Rakkety Tam, High Rhulain, Eulalia, Doomwyte, Sable Quean, and The Rouge Crew.  None of these books has any similar characters through which we can track the age of Redwall, however, we do know that they occur in chronological order, so let us assume the span of time between each book to be two generations witht he events in a book to be a third giving us 21 total generations.  Adding that number to our total gives us roughly 40 generations or about 800 years/seasons.
Allow me to remind critical readers that this is only an estimate based on the evidence given in the books to the best of my ability to understand it.  The books only sometimes connect to one another so my number is merely a rough calculation, not an exact figure.

Good logic and math!!!!!! I'm sticking with this caculation.
Sherlock
Doctor Who
Beyond the Western Deep
Mouseguard
Ranger's Apprentice
Lord of the Rings
The Chronicles of Narnia
The Book Thief
Harry Potter
Percy Jackson
:D
And many many more...

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: alderbowbeast on March 03, 2013, 07:44:18 AM
In response to your question.  We know that Redwall was officially complete at the end of Mariel of Redwall with the addition of the Joseph bell.  However, the construction of Redwall began early on, during the prime of Martin and Gonff.  The building of Redwall, minus the Joseph Bell, is three generations old in Mariel of Redwall as Dandin claims that Gonff  was, "the father of my father's father" or great grandson.  However, there can be some dispute in this as Bryony from The Outcast of Redwall is also a great grandchild of Gonff.  More than likely they are cousins of two of the Gonff lineage as we do not know how many children Gonff II or Gonff III had.  After this the age of Redwall becomes somewhat difficult to track as we do not know how much time has expired between the books.  We do know that Rufe Brush is mentioned in Salamandastron when the records are examined as to how Martin's sword fell from the sky.  Abbot Saxtus is also mentioned by the infirmary keeper who remembers him from his dibbon days as "old Abbot Saxtus."  So that is another generation gone by.  Between Salamandastron and Redwall we do not know how much time has passed save for a great deal of time, at least long enough for relative peace to be achieved in Mossflower as compared to the events in the previous books.  After Redwall the timeline is very easy to track as between Redwall and Pearls of Lutra there are three generations of the Matthias legacy.  Now we are up to roughly 12-15 generations from the construction of the abbey or roughly 240-300 years (or seasons). 
In The Long Patrol Arven has grown up and become Abbey Warrior.  Then in Marlfox Abbess Tansy is dead and Abbess Song takes over.  Finally, in Taggerung Abbess Song is dead and Abbess Mhera takes over.  We can add four more generations to our total to bring it to 16-19 generations or roughly 320-380 years/seasons.  Now we come to Triss.  All we know about Triss is that Skippers ancestor was Deyna, the Taggerung.  How long that might be is hard to tell so let us assume 4 generations have gone by since the events of Taggerung.  After this we have the final books of the series: Loamhedge, Rakkety Tam, High Rhulain, Eulalia, Doomwyte, Sable Quean, and The Rouge Crew.  None of these books has any similar characters through which we can track the age of Redwall, however, we do know that they occur in chronological order, so let us assume the span of time between each book to be two generations witht he events in a book to be a third giving us 21 total generations.  Adding that number to our total gives us roughly 40 generations or about 800 years/seasons.
Allow me to remind critical readers that this is only an estimate based on the evidence given in the books to the best of my ability to understand it.  The books only sometimes connect to one another so my number is merely a rough calculation, not an exact figure.

Wow :o! I never thought of it that way! You must be a math wiz!
P.S: My 250th post!

Life is too short to rush through it.

rachel25

It might be about 300 seasons old but i think this topic is a bite hard to answer  :-\