salamandastron: exactly how old is it?

Started by mattimouse20, January 06, 2012, 11:37:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattimouse20

is salamandastron a myth? who discovered it? how does it tie in with redwall? some say many a horde of vermin raided it in search of treasure. According to the book, "Salamandastron", young Mara, the daughter of the famed lord urthstripe, befriended a couple of vermin against her fathers wishes. After all, vermin are considered vile, dangerous creatures and should never be associated with. evidently, can we unlock the true secrets of salamandastron?
its rulers? it's treasures, it's history? or could it be locked away and forgotten forever?
just wait until I make my daring escape!

Skipper

salamandastron is obviously not a myth since ceatures visit and live here.
no one knows who discovered it or who the first ruler was.
it ties in wih redwall because they boh try to help each other in times of need and vermin are drawn to both.
Mara was adopted by Urthstipe; yes vermin did seek treasure there and there was.
i truely doubt we can unlock its secrets, we know little of it, we know some of the early rulers and we know here was treasure there.

Lutra

My obvious guess is the volcano was active long before anyone lived in the area.  The growth of Mossflower was due to volcanic ash and other nutrients.  When someone tried to actually inhabit it, well, as Skipper said it was never explained clearly.  So the landmark is very old but Salamandastron as a place is a mystery.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Coobreedan

But Salamadaastron wasn't a volcano, that was just the smoke from Boar forging weapons.
I won't be on this forum much anymore, but I'll pop in to say hi every now and then.

Plugg Firetail

Well, we don't know. It was known for the fire lizard thing long before Boar was born. It mentions it as a volcano a few times I think.

Blademaster

Why it's as old as Mossflower itself mate.  ;)
Cluny-"Shut up!" Cheesethief-"Shutting up chief."

Bragoon

I think Salamandastron is older than Mossflower.  It has been theorized that Mossflower grew up so lush and thick as a direct result of the volcanic activity of Salamandastron. 

I think, like with rather a lot of things in Redwall, we'll never know exactly how old it is.  It is an interesting landscape in the Redwall series, but it's also intended to be surrounded in mystery.  No-one knows who first lived there, or who made all the carvings on the walls of the badger lords'/ladies' chambers.
"For the whole Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable to to teach, to convince, to correct, and to instruct in righteousness." - II Timothy 3:16

Melody

Captain Tammo

I'd say thousands, if not millions of years old! Tink about it, it's like saying "how old is mt. St. Helen's or mt. Everest. There's no exact year, but it has to be as old as some dinosaurs or the ice age animals at least.
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Evamurray

Yes,it has to be very old and it was probity a volcano because it does say it was a couple times I think ???

Log-a-Log

I wonder that if throughout all  of Salamandastron's existence that only the badger lords and long patrol lived there. There could have possibly been other beasts living there before
I know you can fight William, but its our wits that make us men. - Malcolm Wallace, from Braveheart

Bluefire

It's probably not much younger than mossflower country. i wouldnt be surprised if other animals did live there before, interesting point

Dannflower Reguba

Quote from: Coobreedan on January 08, 2012, 02:20:02 PM
But Salamadaastron wasn't a volcano, that was just the smoke from Boar forging weapons.
Actually it WAS a volcano, hence the dragon myth. It was called the fire mountain for a reason, the mountain was there WAY before Boar the fighter, nad do you actually think it is possible that the hares and badgers dug out that entire system of caves?
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Redwaller

Maybe they dug some of them; but maybe the majority was made by the volcano

Skipper

They wouldnt have dug any since the mountain was rock and not soil or earth.