5 (27.8%)
Martin's spirit
3 (16.7%)
Both
10 (55.6%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: December 05, 2012, 01:28:57 PM

Tiria Wildlough

I love how Boar the Fighter made Martin's sword, it's so awesome, it being made out of a falling star. What are your thoughts?
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Osu

Ah, yes, Martin's sword. I'm surprised we haven't done our crazy fan thing on this one yet. ;D

I think it's total awesomesauce. Made from a fallen star? Yes. Just, yes. :D It has a reputation of being magic, perhaps there is something to that - Boar spoke the names of warriors as he was hammering it, didn't he? Or maybe that was just for effect. ANYWAY.

I'd like to know how the handle survived so long. The blade makes sense - hey, it's a meteorite - but surely the handle would have... I dunno, grown mold or whatever it is old sword handles do?
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

daskar666

I wanted Russa's stick to appear in later books (and it probably would have if the chronology were preserved and there wasn't an unnecessarily huge time gap between Taggerung and Triss)

Matthias720

Quote from: Osu on July 17, 2011, 04:40:40 PM
...but surely the handle would have... I dunno, grown mold or whatever it is old sword handles do?
It depends on what the sword handle is made of. If it was a metal handle wrapped in leather, the leather could be replaced as it wears out over time.

Gonff

Quote from: daskar666 on July 17, 2011, 05:11:00 PM
I wanted Russa's stick to appear in later books (and it probably would have if the chronology were preserved and there wasn't an unnecessarily huge time gap between Taggerung and Triss)

Ummm... I did too, but this topic is about Martin's sword.

Quote from: Osu on July 17, 2011, 04:40:40 PM
I'd like to know how the handle survived so long. The blade makes sense - hey, it's a meteorite - but surely the handle would have... I dunno, grown mold or whatever it is old sword handles do?

Yes, now that you mention it, the sword handle should have deteriorated some. Wasn't it leather after all? And it stayed out on the weather vane for seasons. I guess its just adds to the mystery of Martin's sword. ;)

Oh... Matthias and I must have posted at almost the same time 'cus his post wasn't there when I started writing mine.  ;D

Quote from: Matthias720 on July 17, 2011, 06:31:31 PM
It depends on what the sword handle is made of. If it was a metal handle wrapped in leather, the leather could be replaced as it wears out over time.

Yes, that's a good point too. It just never mentions that they have to replace the leather...
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than going to a garage makes you an automobile.--Billy Sunday

Captain Tammo

Pretty awesome sword. But I think sometimes it's overrated and kind of like "okay we get it it's a sword!!!"
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

DanielofRedwall

Just as a guide, these are the known wielders of Martin's sword. List taken from the Redwall wiki:

Martin the Elder Warrior
Luke the Warrior
Martin the Warrior
Badrang the Tyrant
Gonff the Mousethief
Dandin
Mariel Gullwhacker
Snidjer
Catseyes
Dingeye
Dethbrush
Samkim
King Bloodfeather
King Bull Sparra
Asmodeus
Matthias
Jess
Malkariss
Mattimeo
Martin II
Abbot Arven
Dannflower Reguba
Log-a-Log Dippler
Deyna
Skipper (Triss)
Trisscar Swordmaid
Bragoon
Hortwill Longblade Braebuck
Abbess Fenna
Sister Armel
Shard
Rakkety Tam MacBurl
The Grumpy Watervole
Magger
Vizka Longtooth
Orkwil Prink
Laird Bosie McScutta of Bowlaynee
Clarinna
Uggo Wiltud
Posybud
Jum Gurdy
Received mostly negative reviews.

Captain Tammo

I don't remember Jum Gurdy having Martin's sword?
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

DanielofRedwall

Well, it says he did in the Redwall wiki, where I got that list.

I'm pretty sure I know what the answer will be, but I've always wanted to know, when Martin's sword was named "Ratdeath" in Redwall, why wasn't the name carried on in the books that followed Redwall in chronological order?

I guess it's because when BJ wrote Redwall he didn't realise he would be writing a whole series of the books, and a whoppingly large series at that!
Received mostly negative reviews.

Log-a-Log

When did Gonff wield the sword
I know you can fight William, but its our wits that make us men. - Malcolm Wallace, from Braveheart

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Quote from: Log-a-Log on July 19, 2011, 10:31:51 PM
When did Gonff wield the sword

Maybe Martin dropped it during a fight and he saved him with it, or maybe one time he just examined it? Too much to remember something as vague as that. (Up until someone figures it out and tells us, of course.)
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Osu

The only time I can recall for when Gonff had Martin's sword is during the Legend of Luke, when they rescue Chugger from the painted ones. I think.
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

Redwall Musician

Quote from: Osu on July 22, 2011, 04:37:52 PM
The only time I can recall for when Gonff had Martin's sword is during the Legend of Luke, when they rescue Chugger from the painted ones. I think.

Yes, I remember something like that. I'm pretty sure it's Legend of Luke.
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

martins#1fan

I love Martin's sword! I like the red pommel it has! The blade is TOTALLY AWESOME! How in the world can somebody say that a sword made from a STAR isn't awesome!!? (Not that anybody has.) Plus, the blade looks awesome to. (They really made it look good in The Legend of Luke.) And thirdly Badrang, Clunny and Tsarmina fell upon it's balde. (Tsarmina only partly.)
LateRose is locked up in Martin's heart, and there she's bound to stay.

Lutra

I like Martin's sword, but I don't at the same time.  In one sense, its a great weapon for the warrior mouse, and a great gift from Boar.  What strikes me as troubling is the fact anyone who wields it is practically invincible with it.  Is it magic? I sure didn't think so, but how else do you describe the item that cannot break and makes its wielder like God?
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra