News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Introducing Redwall

Started by NovaNocturne, May 25, 2017, 04:37:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maudie

I think another great way to introduce Redwall is with the audio books--especially if the person doesn't really like to read. My sister really struggled with learning to read and she really got into the Redwall audio books that we got from our library. They're really well done and very entertaining. Plus these were stories that Brian originally read aloud to blind children iirc, so it's kind of like experiencing Redwall the way it was originally intended.
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Krantor the Brutal

Personally, I read aloud so I can hear how the story would sound in my mind.
"Friends, if I advance, follow me! If I retreat, kill me! If I die, avenge me!" - Henri de la Rochejaquelein

The Skarzs

Interesting.
Do you read with other people?
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Krantor the Brutal

Yeah, we pick characters and we read their lines. It gets hilarious.
"Friends, if I advance, follow me! If I retreat, kill me! If I die, avenge me!" - Henri de la Rochejaquelein

Ashleg

Last year I picked random lines said by Gabool and made my friend read them aloud, out of context. It was hilarious.

Krantor the Brutal

The funny thing was when we try singing (we're not all in tune.)

The Skarzs

Quote from: Krantor the Brutal on October 09, 2017, 06:47:46 PM
Yeah, we pick characters and we read their lines. It gets hilarious.
I want to try that. But I have no friends to do so.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Maudie

Ooh, the accents would be so fun to try to do. That's one of the unique things about Redwall, the accents.
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

KoudoawaiaVortex

A few years ago, my husband watched the cartoon with me when the whole thing was on Netflix. Other times, I remember a long time ago, I gave my cousin a Redwall book as a gift and I've told various people about it over the years.

Maudie

Yeah, the cartoon is a great gateway for the book series. Plus if you are trying to explain it and your friends are confused you can just say "oh, did you ever see that tv show with all those British animals and, like, a snake?" and there's a chance they'll know what you're talking about.

Krantor the Brutal

The thing with the cartoon, some things are different, which would confuse you, if you read the book later.

Maudie

Not really. I mean, everyone knows that movies and shows differ from the source material. I think that it'd be pretty easy to separate the two in your mind.

The Skarzs

It was refreshing, for me, to see the difference between the show and the book when I first read it. I liked the book a lot, even after seeing the show.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.