The Redwall Graphic Novel

Started by Ashleg, May 30, 2017, 04:49:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashleg

I think they sell it on the official store.

Captain Tammo

Quote from: LordTBT on June 01, 2017, 06:15:12 AM
There is some cool news now though: up until very recently it was not available in eBook format. If digital books are your thing, one can read it that way.

An ebook version of the graphic novel? I'm intrigued...
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Ashleg

Captain Tammo

Hmmm.... I can't find it on the Redwall Store. Has anyone else spotted it?
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Ashleg

I haven't tried looking there myself but don't search the whole title.
Just part of it.
When I ordered from there, what I wanted did not come up until I only searched a fragment of the title.

MeadowR

Got this through the post today! :D Didn't know it was all in black and white, not that that matters.
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Ashleg

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

How is it?!

Captain Tammo

MeadowR

I haven't got to reading it yet! Want to finish another book first. Soooon.
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

MeadowR

Read it!

Not remembering everything that happened in the novel, I can't compare it properly and point out what was left out and changed, etc. I don't think it came out realllllly exciting in graphic novel form. I enjoyed the original book, but seems somehow this version didn't translate in such an intriguing way. Maybe I'm too familiar with the story to appreciate this version on its own?

To the imagery, I liked the traditional, charcoal-look. I think some of the panels don't read so well; if you're not already familiar with the story, a few scenes might be confusing... actually, read or not, still were confusing. Some of the sizing didn't seem quite right to me and varied within the comic: one time Silent Sam is tiiiny compared to Matthias. I think Matthias himself doesn't look quite right; maybe a bit wide and not youthful enough. Basil having lop-ears didn't seem right - too rabbit-ish. The foxes are a bit small compared to other animals that would be smaller. One scene I had to go back over because I got confused if it was the fox or Cluny in it. A big scene of (I think it was) Cluny whacking another vermin with his tail, didn't seem to look like it had much impact, despite the stretched panel and sound effect in large writing. Whilst mentioning the sound effects, I wasn't keen how they had been slapped on top of the traditional-looking pieces when they looked so digital. I obviously accept this is one guy's depiction and can't all be right to my eye! It's fine and dandy enough for the most part.

In spite of this, a lot of it really is no major problem, just little thoughts to extend my opinion of it as I was asked, and I am glad to add it to my collection, and certainly more graphic novel versions would have been/would be great to see!
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Ashleg

Mmm! I still want to read it. In fact, that makes me want to read it more, so I can judge it for myself.

I am going to admit that I didn't know that Matthias was a teenager in the first book until...well, I think I was at least halfway done with Mattimeo.

I thought he was an adult.

LordTBT

Quote from: Ashleg on November 21, 2017, 09:28:21 PM
Mmm! I still want to read it. In fact, that makes me want to read it more, so I can judge it for myself.

I am going to admit that I didn't know that Matthias was a teenager in the first book until...well, I think I was at least halfway done with Mattimeo.

I thought he was an adult.

This seems to be a recent misinterpretation. "Teenager" is a concept that didn't even exist until the past century. The TV series casts Matthias as a "young teenager," however in the novels, it's quite clear he's older. People seem to be forgetting shortly after he defeats Cluny, he gets married and has a son.

Ashleg

MeadowR

I think I still see him as teenagery age in the novel. This 'unlikely hero' being more relate-able to the target audience with his youth for the first book. Didn't the TV series have him at 13? I would say older than that, though. And no reason he couldn't get married 17, 18, 19, or whatever equivalent in this non-modern setting. :)
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Ashleg

I actually find it easier to relate to characters older than me (I am a teen). I just...think it's hard to imagine kids my age being able to do these things.