Lord Vulpuz, Lord of Hellgates

Started by The Mask, May 05, 2014, 07:53:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faiyloe

Martin comes to creatures in dream/visions so why shouldn't this Vulpuz guy do the same?  It makes perfect sense. Most of the time marten chooses one beast and they receive his message but no one else does, the only reason that it gets around is that they tell people about there dream/visions. No if you where a vermin and you had one of these visions would you go around telling people about them for nothing or would you take the credit?
I am back... sort of... maybe... Hi?

Faiyloe

What makes the most sense to me is that Vulpuz was once a living breathing being and like Martin he was a great Warrior in the vermin sense. He died and then like marten he would visit select people in visions or dreams hence the sears. 

The Skarzs

Like some sort of creature always helping the bad side. . . Now THAT would be interesting.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Faiyloe

Right, but you have to remember Vulpuz is still a vermin so his motives will not exactly be good ones and who he helps will be select. While Martin give the impression that he will always be there in time of need, Vulpuz seems to do things on a whim deserting creatures when things don't pan out or not even helping them in the first place. 

MatthiasMan

While Vulpuz is a more less informed character, I like to picture him something similar to a basilisk. I think it was likely that he was killed in his old age, but in his prime, he was basically the ruler.  Maybe he lived for thousands of years and just one day, in his old age, he was slain.

Who knows for sure.  At least, that's what I like to think about him.

Izeroth

I imagine him as a mythical fox figure, spoken of around vermin campfires, but probably nothing more than an old tale.

Izeroth

Shouldn't this topic be merged with "Vulpuz"?

Jetthebinturong

Quote from: The Skarzs on June 09, 2015, 10:17:03 PM
As for what you said on the vermin looking up to this devil-like figure with respect rather than fear, it seems like that would be rather pagan-like, worshiping a devil, that, while not entirely unthinkable with vermin's reputation, is hardly something one would expect from a book by Mr. Jacques.

I have a friend who is a Pagan witch. He does not worship the Devil. Pagans don't worship the Devil, Luciferians and Satanists do. Early Christians simply appropriated Pagan gods and turned them into demons to drive people away from Paganism.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

The Skarzs

Key phrase being "Pagan-like".
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Jukka the Sling

Quote from: Faiyloe on June 10, 2015, 03:47:38 AM
What makes the most sense to me is that Vulpuz was once a living breathing being and like Martin he was a great Warrior in the vermin sense. He died and then like marten he would visit select people in visions or dreams hence the sears. 
Now that's a fascinating idea.  I never thought of it that way.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

James Gryphon

Quote from: Izeroth on June 11, 2015, 05:00:38 AM
Shouldn't this topic be merged with "Vulpuz"?
The other way around, since this is the older topic.
« Subject to editing »

Lady Ashenwyte

Quote from: The Skarzs on June 11, 2015, 02:15:26 PM
Key phrase being "Pagan-like".

I still don't think worshipping a devil is pagan-like, but whatever, let's drop this.

I would think Vulpuz is the Martin of the vermin. He is a role model, and spirit who helps vermin. There is also a possibility that Vulpuz is a god, rather than a legendary hero.
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

Hickory

I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Lady Ashenwyte

The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

Belffelyne Hare

Precisely, Lord Ashenwyte! They're not worshipping a devil, they're treating him like a role model. They speak of him with respect, not fear.
Pagan-like to worship a devil, perhaps, The Skarsz, but Vulpuz isn't a devil, is he? At least, he's not made out to be a devil. Being worshipped or held in high regard by vermin doesn't make him a "Satan" figure. They certainly don't seem to think of him that way.
Ermath speaks o' th' bally ol' slyboots with incredible respect and reverence, and suggests that foxes might be descended from him. "This Vulpuz guy is really cool- I bet you're just like him, O Great Master Ruggan."

Hmm, now, does him being Lord of Hellgates make him into the Devil?
Maybe. I can't rightly say. The line between Dark Forest and Hellgates is bloomin' thin (or even nonexistent!).
Brigadier Belffelyne Biggs, at Your Service