News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Deptford Mice

Started by Ashleg, April 20, 2017, 10:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashleg

Because @Banya and I like these books and I want to talk about them. :P

MeadowR

I liked these books. :D Unfortunately don't own them anymore due to a silly reason. (But if they sell the books in a smaller font-size someday, I'm up for re-buying!) I liked that although they are supposed to be 'children's books' they still had quite a dark edge to them, and quite grown-up concepts. It's been a while since I read them now.

What I still have, and owned before those, is The Alchymist's Cat, a prequel to The Deptford Mice. Dark stuff set at an interesting time in history.
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Ashleg

Ha, interesting.
What's wrong with the font size?

MeadowR

It was massive on the page and that made it feel too childish for a (then) teenage me. I can be fussy like that. :0 That was the particular editions in print then, so it might be that other editions before or after have a maturer font size option. Would be good if you could get all three books in one. Might take a look. :D
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Ashleg

Probably doesn't bother me because I have trouble reading small text, so for me it was an "Oh! I can actually read this!" kind of thing. ;D

Also, I'm nearly done with the first one and I don't hate Oswald anymore...

Ashleg

GUYS.

@MeadowRabbit @Banya http://thedeptfordmiceforum.boards.net/

Joinnnnn. I'm Morgan. It's still under construction, though.

MeadowR

I shall take a look! Hopefully there are enough people to be found who like these books enough as they're far less in the public eye than Redwall. Makes me really want to buy the one about the Oaken squirrels - or whatever it was - now! Been meaning to for years.
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Ashleg

Haha, I'm the only one right now, because it's my forum and I made it yesterday.

Madison

Just the other day I was telling people how messed up the ending to the Oaken Throne was (as well as other parts of it). It was really, really bleak. Like a kids' version of the ending to Cube II or something. >_>

Ashleg

I haven't read that one yet because I'm moving in publication order and therefore need to get my claws on The Alchymist's Cat first.

But I do own it, a little bummed there are no doodles inside this time.

Madison

I was going to actually say what happened, glad I didn't. :P

Ashleg

MeadowR

Yeah, please don't! I still need to buy that one!
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014