Romance in Redwall

Started by Maudie, October 04, 2017, 05:49:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jetthebinturong

No it would be the equivalent of an infertile straight couple.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

James Gryphon

As far as the "sea otter" thing goes, that's merely a difference in moniker in this case, not species. While there is a species of otter called a "sea otter" which is distinct from the river otter, they don't live in Britain. They're half a world away in the Pacific. Wikipedia states that Eurasian otters are sometimes called "sea otters" based on their choice of residence, and that is the case here.
« Subject to editing »

The Skarzs

Oh.

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on October 17, 2017, 01:32:02 AM
No it would be the equivalent of an infertile straight couple.
*Shrugs.*
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

Well, dat should be obvious.

MeadowR

Gaah! Got signed out just as I was submitting the post.

Quote from: Ashleg on October 16, 2017, 11:35:44 PM
What's wrong with that? They're both otters.

Ohh. Blame Skarzs for that confusion; I had quite forgotten and assumed they were completely different species from what he said. :P

So: whatever the intention for 'sea otter', in the Redwall universe I believe two different otters species would be acceptable for romance. :)
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Krantor the Brutal

How about Song and Dann couldn't they had something if Song didn't become Abbess?
"Friends, if I advance, follow me! If I retreat, kill me! If I die, avenge me!" - Henri de la Rochejaquelein

The Skarzs

Hey, don't blame me about the otter thing; we have sea otters AND river otters over here . . .

Quote from: Krantor the Brutal on October 17, 2017, 10:13:22 PM
How about Song and Dann couldn't they had something if Song didn't become Abbess?
I believe it could still work. Unless the order takes vows of chastity it is still acceptable for them to be married, much like third order religious in real life.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Krantor the Brutal

Which I doubt (Rakkety Tam).
"Friends, if I advance, follow me! If I retreat, kill me! If I die, avenge me!" - Henri de la Rochejaquelein

The Skarzs

Yeah.

Pretty sure Song and Dannflor are canon.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Krantor the Brutal

I hope so, it was good to root for.

Blaggut

Quote from: The Skarzs on October 17, 2017, 01:27:38 AM
I, uh, suppose it would be the equivalent of being gay. . .

Which there is absolutely nothing wrong with. What's your point?
~Just a soft space boi~

James Gryphon

Mod: This was already discussed. Also, the "Romance in Redwall" thread is not the "Argue about your thoughts on homosexuality" thread.
« Subject to editing »

Blaggut

I think Brian prefers themes of friendship and comraderie to romance - which are some of my favorites, equally to or perhaps more than romantic plot line. Personally, I prefer my romantic fiction to webcomics or anime rather than novels - the aesthetic and style is quite different.

Personally I'm glad Brian didn't have much romance in the series. If he did have more I would be quite frustrated at the lack of LGBTQ+ representation, but because it's such a non-focus I can't blame him for it.

Personally I headcanon Rakkety, Wild Doogy, and Rakkety's Partner (forgot her name) as a queerplatonic (meaning people in a relationship that is partially platonic and partially romantic, usually done among polyromantic people, and totally healthy fyi) polyromantic relationship. I think Brian quite possibly meant to have Rakkety and Doogy in a sort of queerplatonic relationship.
~Just a soft space boi~

Blaggut

Quote from: James Gryphon on October 29, 2017, 02:34:51 AM
Mod: This was already discussed. Also, the "Romance in Redwall" thread is not the "Argue about your thoughts on homosexuality" thread.

Okay, noted
~Just a soft space boi~

Ashleg

Or, you know, there's always the answer that needs less explaining.

Completely platonic best friends.