News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Homeschoolers?

Started by Gonff, July 07, 2011, 01:25:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do/Have you homeschooled?

I have forever!
never
I did, then school, then homeschooled
School, Homeschool,School
School, then Homeschooled from then on
Homeschooled, then school from then on

Gonff

Are there any people on this forum who are being homeschooled or were homeschooled? I have been homeschooled all the way up to (going into) 8th grade and will probably graduate completely homeschooled.
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than going to a garage makes you an automobile.--Billy Sunday

Matthias720

I was homeschooled 7th-12th grade. I'm currently in college, and I don't regret a moment of homeschooling, whatsoever. :)

The Lady Shael

I was homeschooled from 1st-5th grade, then again from 7th-8th. I really enjoyed being homeschooled when I was younger, but I'm glad I got to experience a normal high school.
~The Lady Shael Varonne of Mossflower Country
http://www.redwallwarlords.com/

Gerbilkit

For some reason Redwall has always seemed to attract a disproportionate share of homeschoolers, at least that has been my experience over years of ROC discussions and friendships. 

I started going to public school in 7th grade part time and I was full time by high school.
"Sometimes a dagger can reach further than a sword, remember that stoat." - Luke the Warrior

Icefire

I'm homeschooled!!! I have been my whole life. I graduate next year and I'm almost 100% sure I will graduate as a homeschooler.
Living in peace, aye many a season,
Calm in life and sound in reason,,
'Til evil arrives, a wicked horde,
Driving a warrior to pick up his sword,
The challenger rings then, straight and fair,
Justice is with us, beware. Beware!

Tiria Wildlough

I have never set foot in a classroom in almost my entire life. I am 10 years old, and I have been homeschooled since 5, I think. I like homeschooling, but some kids think I'm weird.
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Gonff

Quote from: Tiria Wildlough on July 08, 2011, 09:37:28 AM
I like homeschooling, but some kids think I'm weird.

Same here, but when anyone in our family gets called weird they say "I take that as a complement." Our whole family is weird and we don't really care.
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than going to a garage makes you an automobile.--Billy Sunday

The Lady Shael

Weird is underrated. As you get older, you realize there's no such thing as "normal".

Redwall Musician

Quote from: Nature Lover on July 08, 2011, 01:09:00 PM
Quote from: Tiria Wildlough on July 08, 2011, 09:37:28 AM
I like homeschooling, but some kids think I'm weird.

Same here, but when anyone in our family gets called weird they say "I take that as a complement." Our whole family is weird and we don't really care.

'Tis better to be strange then to be as all. For weird is great, and normal average.
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

Icefire

What I find funny is when people who have never been homeschooled start talking about it as though they know everything there is to know about it! For example, once, in a group of friends who had never been homeschooled, two of  my friends started this huge argument over whether or not homeschoolers are idiots. One was convinced homeschoolers never actually learn anything because our flexible schedules allow us to get away with not doing schoolwork (obviously not true...we may do schoolwork all year, but we do do it!) and the other was convinced that all homeschoolers are brilliant(which also isn't true! Some are brilliant, but so are some public/private school kids. Some are...not so brilliant)! By the end of the argument they had switched sides...and throughout the entire argument I was laughing because I was the only one who would actually have some idea about the subject. At one point I mentioned that fact and they both started arguing with me about that!
Living in peace, aye many a season,
Calm in life and sound in reason,,
'Til evil arrives, a wicked horde,
Driving a warrior to pick up his sword,
The challenger rings then, straight and fair,
Justice is with us, beware. Beware!

The Lady Shael

You get all types of people everywhere. The usual stereotype attached to homeschoolers is that they are not very socially adjusted but that they are also very smart. I have a lot of homeschooled friends, and this is true in some cases, but I wouldn't say most. I do think homeschoolers tend to be shyer on average, in social situations.

Again, I don't regret my time in public school because it broadened my social experience (in a good way). It's important to be able to view things objectively, from different perspectives, and not just the way you were brought up.

The important thing is not to let the stereotype hold you back or let you believe you have to turn out a certain way. Don't try to be as weird as possible because people think you should be. All stereotypes start out as opinions. When you believe the stereotype, it becomes self-fulfilling.

Gonff

My sister this year went to the public school for the last two periods of the day. I think it was good for her. She says that almost everyone in the public school either think homeschoolers are brilliant or are homeschoolers because they dropped out of school and are dumb. Niether is true of most homeschoolers. To me it doesn't matter what other people who don't even know me think I am. But, I wish people would not stereotype homeschoolers and I try not to stereotype anyone else.

Bananagirl

I have been homeschooled my whole life and i intent to be until i go to college in a few years, i knew some people that thought that homeschoolers were shy shutin's, but, for me i have a sports group and a band and a youth group so i get to interact with a lot of people and get to see a lot of different points of view. i find it funny when non homeschoolers argue about homeschooling like they really know about it  ;D

Trigoma

im being home schooled atm. got home schooled the first semester of 6th grade. then the last semester went to public all the way to 10th. and now 10th to 12th i plan on getting home schooled. home schooling rocks! xD
"Whenever there is a meeting, a parting is sure to follow. However, that parting need not last forever... Whether a parting be forever or merely for a short time...that is up to you."
—Happy Mask Salesman

Nightfire

I have been homeschooled all my life, and I will graduate as a homeschooler in three years. See? My spelling, grammar, and punctuation is perfect. And I did NOT use the spell check feature. Yayalahoooooo!!!
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.