News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Castaways of the Flying Dutchman Discussion

Started by Matthias720, July 07, 2011, 04:41:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthias720

I don't know about the rest of you, but reading this series has improved my knowledge of oceanic travel  and of seafarer culture. It's great that Mr J. put in so much based on his days as a sailor.

Fiction + facts = a good read. ;)

Captain Tammo

I LOVE THIS SERIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sometimes I think it's better than redwall, however that's okay since it's by the same author  ;D . I think the second book, "the angel's command" was one of the saddest books I've ever read. I'm really upset Mr. Jacques didn't write more of this series :'(
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Felldoh450

I've looked at these, but I thought I wouldn't be interested because, I'm not much of a water guy!
( hate the water! )
Go ye into all the world and  preach the Gospel.

Galedeep

I've never read them but I appreciate that this thread is here. Now I have to read them...

Gonff

Quote from: Galedeep on July 08, 2011, 11:23:17 PM
I've never read them but I appreciate that this thread is here. Now I have to read them...
I need to read them too...
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than going to a garage makes you an automobile.--Billy Sunday

Matthias720

Captain Tammo

"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Osu

I've been meaning to get my hands on this series for a while. Now... now I absolutely have to. XD
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

sabretache5611

I didn't like the first book especially, but the last two blew me off my feet and into shark infested waters (reference to Voyage of the Slaves).    I found Voyage of the Slaves to have a sadder ending than the other two.  i mean, poor Ben.

I WISH BJ TOLD US OR MANAGED TO TELL US WHAT HAPPENED TO BEN AND NED IN THE END!!!!!!
Trying to stop me reading Redwall is like trying to separate Sabretache from his sabre.  Basically, don't try.

Captain Tammo

Osu

Quote from: sabretache5611 on July 10, 2011, 03:13:08 AM
I didn't like the first book especially, but the last two blew me off my feet and into shark infested waters
Aw, man. I was at the book store today and couldn't find the first book in the series, but I did see the other two. I didn't get them because I didn't want to read it out of order.

Now I really wish I'd gotten them. XD

Captain Tammo

You have to read them in order. But that's also a good thing, it keeps you into it   :D believe me it's worth reading 10 times over!

Matthias720

This may sound weird, but I'm glad BJ only wrote 3 of these books. It makes for a nice trilogy, and the series didn't get to the point where it became too big. It seems ideal to introduce people to BJ's work through three books rather than an intimidating 22 volumes.

Osu

Quote from: Matthias720 on July 11, 2011, 02:26:22 PM
This may sound weird, but I'm glad BJ only wrote 3 of these books. It makes for a nice trilogy, and the series didn't get to the point where it became too big. It seems ideal to introduce people to BJ's work through three books rather than an intimidating 22 volumes.
This is a very good point. I hadn't thought of this.

Gonff

I'm trying to get them from my library can anyone tell me the names of the 3 books in order?
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than going to a garage makes you an automobile.--Billy Sunday