News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

who would win?

Started by Captain Tammo, July 07, 2011, 09:57:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Gryphon

Triss uses Martin's sword, so the sharpness of the blade shouldn't be an issue.

That said ... it's my belief that no other major protagonist in the entire series has more pure talent than Mariel. There are better all-around Sues but when it comes to fighting nobody else is close. The very first time she ever picked up a sword (or possibly any weapon) in her life she beat the King of all Sea-Rats, himself a famous swordfighter. She then goes through two books beating up everyone she meets with a rope while the guy with Martin's sword stands on the sidelines with nothing much to do. Characters who got magic sword skills still had to have a sword to benefit; Mariel is apparently great without one.
« Subject to editing »

Captain Tammo

A good point^

What if Triss was not using Martin's sword, though? Say a "standard" one from the forge of Salamandastron instead?
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Ashleg

If Triss was not using Martin's sword, in all fairness Mariel should use a rope that is worse than her gullwhacker.

James Gryphon

As far as I know her rope is just a rope; there's nothing special about it. She can get another one anywhere, and did (the original one was used to hang the Joseph Bell).
« Subject to editing »

Ashleg

If it can hang a bell, it must be uber-strong--like Martin's sword.
What I'm saying is that should Triss use a normal sword, Mariel should use a normal rope. Aka a non-bell-hanging rope.

James Gryphon

Firstly, the bell article said that it was used as a tolling rope (so it didn't necessarily hang the whole bell; I was off on that point).

Secondly, though, there's nothing that suggests that the rope was in any way out of the ordinary. It was a searat rope, and they're not known for their great craftsmanship as a general rule; furthermore, they threw it away. That she made another weapon just like it (which she did) and went on to perform greater combat feats suggests that it isn't that that particular rope was exceptional. I was always under the impression that she just made her gullwhackers from any rope that happened to be handy (a very non-materialistic ability, well suited to adventurers).
« Subject to editing »

Captain Tammo

True, a hunk of rope will always be a lot cheaper and easier to acquire than a sword!
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

The Skarzs

I am tempted to test a Gullwacker.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

So she's more of a Sue than I thought.

Jetthebinturong

Yeah it would be pretty difficult to cut through a rope, especially one that was loose and flailing around. They're made to be resilient. I think you'd need to pull it taught and trap it against something to even have a hope of cutting through it.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

James Gryphon

For what it's worth, Matthias did cut through Cluny's tail (a similar weapon), but it wasn't wrapped in knots the way Mariel's ropes are (according to the wiki).
« Subject to editing »

Ashleg

It does have bones through it.

Jetthebinturong

Quote from: James Gryphon on August 21, 2017, 10:17:09 PM
For what it's worth, Matthias did cut through Cluny's tail (a similar weapon), but it wasn't wrapped in knots the way Mariel's ropes are (according to the wiki).

If I recall correctly, he only cut off the tip, which is pretty soft and fleshy.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Captain Tammo

So let's move forward with the assumption that Mariel's rope won't be sliced in half just like that. Call it the rope of Martin the Warrior :D

Additionally, Triss' (I assume a sword?) won't snap and break, either.

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.