News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Matthias vs Cluny Fair Fight

Started by Tim Churchmouse, August 30, 2014, 12:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who would win if Matthias fought Cluny in a real fight, without Matthias chopping the Joseph bell?

Matthias
Cluny
Both Die

Delthion

Each of them used their wit to the fullest extent. Matthias' just won out!
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Luftwaffles

Quote from: Delthion on March 19, 2015, 03:39:40 AM
Each of them used their wit to the fullest extent. Matthias' just won out!

Since I haven't read any of the books, I can't continue to argue (plus what you say seems correct),

I guess that you are right about it and it was a fair battle after all :)
~Please be sure to join us if ever you are passing~.

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

The Skarzs

What the. . . You haven't read any of the books and you're on the forum?! Unspeakable horror!

(But dude, you should probably read the books. :P)
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Luftwaffles

QuoteWhat the. . . You haven't read any of the books and you're on the forum?! Unspeakable horror!

I like you too :P

Quote(But dude, you should probably read the books. :P)

I know, I have been putting it off (well, truth to be told, I can't really afford that many books either).

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

The Skarzs

Do you not have a library that carries it? (I don't know how Argentina is librarywise. . .)

Quote from: TheTaleOfSierra on March 19, 2015, 04:47:02 PM
QuoteWhat the. . . You haven't read any of the books and you're on the forum?! Unspeakable horror!

I like you too :P
>_>
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Luftwaffles

Quote from: The Skarzs on March 19, 2015, 04:55:35 PM
Do you not have a library that carries it? (I don't know how Argentina is librarywise. . .)

Well, someone has to have them, but I guess that my best bet would be to buy them digitally (I think that they charge you one dollar for each one).

Quote>_>

Jajajaj ;D

Delthion

So let me get this straight...you're on a site about a book, and you've never read the said books? Wow, that's strange and hilarious. ;D ;D
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

James Gryphon

Quoteyou're on a site about a book
Well, that isn't quite accurate. This is the forum that goes along with the main Redwall site, which just happens to primarily cover the Redwall book series. However, we're certainly open for discussion of other works by Mr. Jacques, or, as it happens, works deriving from his creations. If a Redwall film was to be made, I would expect a large influx of members who saw the film, and didn't know there even was a book until they saw the site.

While I heartily encourage anyone who's only watched the show to read the book (as it's better, and I think they'll enjoy it), it certainly isn't a prerequisite to being here.

---

As far as the thought that Matthias lied in killing Cluny, I have an old post that responds to that around here somewhere... going to dig it up, stay tuned for an Edit here.

Edit: Here we go.
Quote from: James Gryphon on August 21, 2011, 11:22:28 AM
I think the problem here is that you're assuming Matthias and Cluny had the same bargain. Cluny demanded that Matthias "throw the sword down or I'll spike [Hugo] like a lollipop".

This, Matthias clearly did not do. If he was a skilled swordthrower,  then he could have done so to the Bell, thus exactly honoring the bargain Cluny intended to make. Instead of doing that, Matthias promised to something other than what Cluny proposed:

Quote from: Redwall"First let the friar go, then I promise on my honor as a warrior that I'll come down."

He does not say that the sword coming down first is a part of this, and Cluny should have seen as much. While I don't think it's a lie, because all the information was "out on the table", so to speak, it does come off as a bit deceitful... however, if Cluny's trying to negotiate Matthias' death, he should carefully examine the clauses and terms in their contract. It's just that simple. ;) If you're going to use someone's honorable nature against them, you should make sure that the promise they're making for you is the promise you wanted them to make.

So Matthias did in fact honor his promise, though it wasn't the one Cluny had in mind. Cluny agreed to Matthias' terms in the revised contract by releasing Friar Hugo. Thus, Matthias fulfilled it by coming down after Cluny had been crushed by the bell.
« Subject to editing »

Luftwaffles

Quote from: Delthion on March 19, 2015, 05:48:58 PM
So let me get this straight...you're on a site about a book, and you've never read the said books? Wow, that's strange and hilarious. ;D ;D

I have watched the series, but if any of you think that I shouldn't be here just because of that, that's fine.

Mhera

I don't believe any of us think that; you're fine here as James explained. It's just a very unusual occurrence to have someone on the forums who's never read the books and that's why everyone is surprised. Nothing wrong with it, though. :)

Bella

Matthias fights fair and does not use trickery to win his battles. Cluny cheats and treats his followers like garbage that is no way for a leader to act.

Dannflower Reguba

One could argue that Matthias was deceitful with the whole bell thing, and honestly, I'd have to give them that argument ... It's true, it was just as dirty as anything else in the entire series.... Then again, the counter-argument here would be the leveling of the playing field, which has some merit, but still doesn't wash the stain of what some would consider a cowardly move... I myself do not view his action this way, as I'd just say he got his just deserts in a most ironic way.

Even so, we're talking about a situation in which Matthias and Cluny are in a static setting, matching whatever every individual here is matching, it's kinda hard to tell sometimes. I personally lessen the importance of size, because I find this difference semi-irrelevant, but that's personal, and not a point I'm going to force or argue.

I made htat way more confusing than need be.  :P
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

rrrrr

They probably would have both died because Matthias is valiant and if he is losing he will bring Cluny with him  :P

But he survived  :) :) :)
rrrrr.....

Ho arr, mateys, swimming is fun!

I had shrimp 'n' hotroot soup today.

Jewel Thief

Matti would've been butchered. Why else do you think he cheated and used the Bell to his advantage?
He knew full well he had little chance against Cluny in true combat.
Hey Jewel thief where do you get, all those silver pistols?
Hey Jewel thief where do you get, all those arrowheads?

clunylooney

CLUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNY!
"ABSOFLIPPINLUTELY" - Me