News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Looking for some Sprite Art Buddies! :D (Also nice ta meetchya)

Started by NightThornFox, September 17, 2014, 12:16:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NightThornFox

First off, I saw there was an introduction topic in another board but I wanted to do a couple things at once so I just figured I'd quickly dump an introduction in here.
I've been reading Redwall since the end of middle-school (I was sort of late to discovering the series) and so far I have read them in publication order all the way up to Marlfox (I would be farther but college has kept me too busy to read).

Anyways, so what this is about, is I'm a novice programmer (took a semester of C# in college and have been teaching myself to use Game Maker Studio Pro). Well for the past week or so I got it in my head that the next project I worked on I thought it would be neat to try making a little NES Zelda-esque game themed in the Redwall world. I've had some ideas for characters and some loose story.
This isn't really going to be something monumental, but when I work on projects I like it to be something really fun and exciting, and since I love Redwall so much I thought a game themed around that would be a ton of fun to tinker with!

Also by "Buddies", if any of you guys are interested in helping out with art stuff, I'd love to chat you up on Skype and get to know you better! Makes working on projects like this a lot more fun and casual, and less business-y. So if anyone is interested you be doing a couple things. You'll be giving me a bit of motivation in my drive to improve my programming skills, and possibly improving on your own art skills, while making a new friend! :D

Just, like I said, keep in mind, this is more about skill building and seeing what neat thing we can come up with. I'm not trying to make the next big-hit steam game or anything. Maybe in the future I can work on making that 3D open world Redwall game I'm sure we'd all love to have :p

The Skarzs

Welcome to the Forum, NightThornFox! If you put a greeting in the Front Lawns, the other members can greet you properly. :)
What kind of art would you be looking for from a buddy? Are you talking about computer art, or sketches and drawings?
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

NightThornFox

Quote from: The Skarzs on September 17, 2014, 12:39:01 AM
Welcome to the Forum, NightThornFox! If you put a greeting in the Front Lawns, the other members can greet you properly. :)
What kind of art would you be looking for from a buddy? Are you talking about computer art, or sketches and drawings?

Hmm, well actually, if someone wanted to do concept sketches I suppose that would be cool. It would really only benefit other artists, though. Specifically I'm looking for someone who can do animated character sprites, static object sprites, and perhaps be willing to try working on 2D terrain. Keep in mind, I'm thinking of going for a sort of NES/SNES feeling game, so the game would be comprised of pixel-art.

Even though I love art, and do draw occasionally, I'm a more math-brained and logic-brained individual, and I can never dedicate enough time to art-talents to improve them any, so I'm hoping to find some friends who special a bit more specifically in the artsy side of things :)

The Skarzs

I see.
Unfortunately, I can't upload any art for a while yet, and any art I would upload would be sketches and drawings. So. . . I could do some concept art, but other than that, I can only give my support.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

NightThornFox

Quote from: The Skarzs on September 17, 2014, 02:07:57 AM
I see.
Unfortunately, I can't upload any art for a while yet, and any art I would upload would be sketches and drawings. So. . . I could do some concept art, but other than that, I can only give my support.

That's alright, if you're ever able to upload art and interested in contributing then let me know! :) Actually do you have a deviantart or someplace with art you've done in the past? I'd be interested in taking a look.

The Skarzs

That's just the thing; I can't upload anything to any site. Otherwise, I would have art here. :-\
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

NightThornFox

Quote from: The Skarzs on September 17, 2014, 03:35:27 AM
That's just the thing; I can't upload anything to any site. Otherwise, I would have art here. :-\

Ahh, that's unfortunate, sorry to hear that. Well, I guess like I said then. If you are ever able to upload art in the future, just let me know if you're interested :)

Thomas Barkshield

I might be able to do pixel art. Mow many pixels are we talkin? Also, what program would this be on? Also, you probably couldn't put it on steam, since Redwall is copyrighted.

Welcome to the forums!

Tam and Martin

Welcome to the Forums NightThornFox! Have any questions then just ask!  :)

As for the art, I am honestly not a very god artist and any art I am good at, I wouldn't think I would be able to upload.

Anyway, Welcome!

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

NightThornFox

Quote from: Thomas Barkshield on September 17, 2014, 04:57:27 AM
I might be able to do pixel art. Mow many pixels are we talkin? Also, what program would this be on? Also, you probably couldn't put it on steam, since Redwall is copyrighted.

Welcome to the forums!

Well, I know I wouldn't be able to put it on steam. I could, however put it up on the GameMaker workshop for free (fair use and all that).

As for the pixel art I'd love to see what you could come up with :) I'd like to make a game with a sort of SNES feel, so, I'm thinking maybe make the characters have a similar amount of detail to Megaman X (Here an image: http://sandbox.yoyogames.com/extras/image/name/san2/490/566490/original/3-2.jpg)

If you want to show me what you can do, you could try drawing up the frames of an Idle animation for a fox character. Just a generic fox, I still need to figure out character designs. Also, just the front view would be sufficient for the time-being. This will be a 4-direction game, so sprites will need to have animations for facing 4 directions.

Also, if you have one, I'd love to get your Skype so we could talk about it more :)

NightThornFox

Quote from: Tam and Martin on September 17, 2014, 07:16:50 PM

As for the art, I am honestly not a very god artist and any art I am good at, I wouldn't think I would be able to upload.

Anyway, Welcome!

Thanks for the welcome ^^ I appreciate it

Thomas Barkshield

This is the best I can do until I find a good computer program: A hand drawn Cornflower. (Sorry, I just felt like drawing cornflower and I had a good reference pic.)

As for skyping, my mum would rather you stick to knowing me as Thomas Barkshield. A google chat perhaps?

NightThornFox

Quote from: Thomas Barkshield on September 18, 2014, 05:55:36 AM
This is the best I can do until I find a good computer program: A hand drawn Cornflower. (Sorry, I just felt like drawing cornflower and I had a good reference pic.)

As for skyping, my mum would rather you stick to knowing me as Thomas Barkshield. A google chat perhaps?

That looks pretty nice! ^^ I'm sure working on this project would definitely help you to improve as well. Uhm, if you need a program, just MSpaint works fine for pixel art.

Tam and Martin

Quote from: NightThornFox on September 17, 2014, 11:51:09 PM
Quote from: Tam and Martin on September 17, 2014, 07:16:50 PM

Anyway, Welcome!

Thanks for the welcome ^^ I appreciate it
You are most welcome!

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

Jetthebinturong

The only kind of spriting I can do is editing Pokémon and their trainers
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan