Questions and Answers (Q&A)

Started by Taggerung_of_Redwall, June 22, 2011, 09:19:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Gryphon

As far as Christmas topics and the like go, I don't think that duplicates should be a big problem in the near future. That said, if you know of an existing topic that covers the same subject as one that you're thinking about starting, reviving the old one is certainly preferable. If you know of topics that you feel are duplicates, feel free to report them and the staff can merge them or do nothing as we feel is appropriate.

As far as birthday topics, if there's already a birthday topic for someone, it is recommended to reuse that one than to make a new one. Merging birthday topics sounds like a good idea, and I'll probably do that; it isn't a top priority, though, so it might take a while before you see results.
« Subject to editing »

The Skarzs

Thanks. :)

Oh, and I was just curious why the code for spoilers isn't in the clickable buttons; is it for lack of clutter?
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

James Gryphon

That's a good question; I wish I had a good answer for you.

The simple answer is that I think that's how it was set up when we got this forum. Now, if it were up to me, I'd personally get rid of the moving text button and add the spoilers in next to the code. Moving text is classic early-90s web design, and nobody except for newbies posting in the Cellars has any good reason to use it. But, that's not how the SMF team did it.

Global mods don't have access to that kind of under the hood stuff, so I can't really tell you whether it can be changed. Matthias has at least some ability to change the forum; he can install updates and add modules, so he might have the ability to see what goes into showing the BBC buttons and make changes to them. There's a good chance it might be one of those hardcoded things, though, in which case Redwall Abbey would have to make the change.
« Subject to editing »

The Skarzs

Mm, I see. Thanks for the answer.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Matthias720

The reason the spoiler tags don't have a dedicated button is that spoiler tags do not come automatically with the current version of the forum's software. I added in a plugin to allow us to use it.

Jetthebinturong

What is the highest amount of pixels allowed for a profile picture and does a GIF have to be that size or smaller to work as one? Can you upload GIF profile pictures straight from your computer or do they have to be uploaded somewhere?

EDIT: Nevermind, I've done it
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Delthion

Why has it said that Skarzs has named this AUTUMN season The Winter of Blanketing Snow?
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Jetthebinturong

Um, it's Winter, definitely Winter, 22nd of December for me

Taggerung_of_Redwall

Quote from: Delthion on December 22, 2014, 05:39:48 PM
Why has it said that Skarzs has named this AUTUMN season The Winter of Blanketing Snow?

Thanks for pointing that out. Fixed.

It was in the newsletter, for anyone wondering.
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

Delthion

Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Jetthebinturong

IT'S BEEN WINTER FOR TWO DAYS WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?
??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Jukka the Sling

The Season Naming always occurs on or near the first day of the month of the season change, not on the exact day the season switches over.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Maudie

So, I was wondering, if you make a post, and a mod edits it, are you still able to edit it? Just curious.
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

The Skarzs

I'm pretty sure you can, but editing what the mod edited in is frowned upon.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Dannflower Reguba

I'd say that as long as you aren't breaking a forum rule you should be fine. That's just about the only thing they'd edit in the first place, at least that's what it seems like best I can tell.
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This