News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Questions and Answers (Q&A)

Started by Taggerung_of_Redwall, June 22, 2011, 09:19:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luftwaffles

Are you uploading it directly or from an URL?
~Please be sure to join us if ever you are passing~.

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

Jasper

Quote from: TheTaleOfSierra on April 20, 2017, 08:07:12 PM
Are you uploading it directly or from an URL?

Nope. I downloaded the image to my computer, changed the size to 100x100 pixels and then uploaded it.

Luftwaffles

I think all that's left is waiting for James.

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

James Gryphon

It was set to 100x100 at Loamhedge, but it turns out that the settings here were still set to 65x65 for uploaded avatars (I guess I forgot to check that). I fixed that a moment ago.
« Subject to editing »

Wylder Treejumper

What's up with the one user that is always on and always hidden when I get on here? Does that happen to be James, or is something wrong with my computer?
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Chipster of Noonvale

Wylder Treejumper

...Then what happened to James? He used to ALWAYS be on- now I rarely see him.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Matthias720

He put in a TON of work for the merger, so I think he's taking a step back to rest for a bit before jumping back in.

Chipster of Noonvale

Luftwaffles

Quote from: Chipster of Noonvale on April 24, 2017, 07:21:09 PM
What happened to the last five replies listed near the bottom of the page?  At first I didn't really like it, but now that it's gone, I kinda miss it...

EDIT: the feature that made it possible to view a whole thread as a single page is gone too :(

It was overloading the DB and causing the forum to slow down to a crawl. So we bid it farewell.

James Gryphon

I felt Sierra's post could stand some clarification: it was probably not in and of itself causing this, but the JustHost server has been slow lately, and this is one of the measures we felt we could take to try to help it out a bit. When the server is back to peak performance, it's likely that this and/or other features could make a comeback.
« Subject to editing »

Lutra

This forum is much faster to respond without that 5 latest post script running at the bottom of the page.  I would've brought up the fact something was up if you didn't go ahead and fix it because this was the only place that had some server response trouble.  I literally would wait for five to ten seconds for the page to do anything, making me wonder if I had even clicked a button.

Thanks for dumping that thing. :)
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

James Gryphon

Well, as much as I like taking credit for fixing things, I wouldn't give the recent post axe much credit for any difference in performance, honestly; it's just the only thing that we've had to talk about (since every member can see that it's gone). We made a bunch of changes under the hood, and I don't even think that they caused the majority of the difference. I believe the main issue was activity going on at some other site (since the RACF is on a shared server).

For what it's worth, we've run the recent posts thing at Loamhedge for a while and it didn't seem to have any appreciable impact on the speed.
« Subject to editing »

Lutra

Scripts will always slow things down as they update postings, so less scripts is always better.  I don't think its a coincidence in this case.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Ashleg

The edit button isn't appearing on any of my posts.