News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Lock this topic! (By New Year's Day!)

Started by Blaggut, October 15, 2015, 04:59:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banya

Quote from: The Skarzs on August 09, 2017, 06:06:50 PM
Dirt gets into the carpet, which cannot be gotten to with a broom.
Did you know.

Carpets have existed since 7000 BC while vacuums have existed for 109 years. And carpet cleaners that use steam (my mother has one) have only been in use since the 1960s. With wall-to-wall carpeting (not including smaller rugs that can be shaken out and beat or the areas of carpet covered by druggerts, which are like extra rugs or runners that cover and protect sections of carpet), there were many ways to clean it, from rubbing it with grass and lemon and warm bread and tea leaves, flammable oils, water, ammonia and chloroform, and benzine. But the most common way to clean carpet, and the method carried longest throughout history, was to use a broom.

James Gryphon

In all fairness, neither of you are exactly wrong (or right). By the 1940s, while brooms were still mentioned as a possible tool to use in carpet cleaning, they were not the preferred tool, and it was common knowledge that carpets tended to absorb dirt and dust in a way that couldn't be readily cleaned with a broom (hence, I suppose, the existence of specialty tools, like carpet sweepers, and the eventual invention of the vacuum).

It probably is not a coincidence that rugs used to be a lot more popular than they are today.
« Subject to editing »

The Skarzs

You haven't had to rip out and replace carpet, methinks. :P  It can get pretty gross.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

@The Skarzs shall we timeskip in Undecided? Twisty's dead right now and Rangi's boring so I can't do anything.

The Skarzs

I'm in a bit of shock after Dan actually going through the whole process. I was actually going to ask him if he wanted to just say it got done rather than do. . . that.
Hold on.

Yeah, I guess a timeskip is appropriate.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Quote from: Banya on August 10, 2017, 04:37:18 AM
Quote from: The Skarzs on August 09, 2017, 06:06:50 PM
Dirt gets into the carpet, which cannot be gotten to with a broom.
Did you know.

Carpets have existed since 7000 BC while vacuums have existed for 109 years. And carpet cleaners that use steam (my mother has one) have only been in use since the 1960s. With wall-to-wall carpeting (not including smaller rugs that can be shaken out and beat or the areas of carpet covered by druggerts, which are like extra rugs or runners that cover and protect sections of carpet), there were many ways to clean it, from rubbing it with grass and lemon and warm bread and tea leaves, flammable oils, water, ammonia and chloroform, and benzine. But the most common way to clean carpet, and the method carried longest throughout history, was to use a broom.

After vhich ye loight a match und 'accidentally' drop it...
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Cornflower MM

Quote from: The Skarzs on August 10, 2017, 06:22:40 AM
I'm in a bit of shock after Dan actually going through the whole process. I was actually going to ask him if he wanted to just say it got done rather than do. . . that.
Hold on.

Yeah, I guess a timeskip is appropriate.

Yeah, I forgot how into RPs Danny can get. :P I turned a bit green. :P

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Belladonna

The Skarzs

I have big clunky leather-like fingers that aren't always sensed by touch screens.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Cornflower MM

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.