Best Short-lived Character (Spoilers!)

Started by The Skarzs, December 13, 2015, 05:51:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Skarzs

Might be a little vague, but hey.
What character did you wish you could have seen more of, who, for whatever reason, was removed from the story? Did the book end before they fully developed?
Warning: Spoilers.

To start off my favorite short-lived characters, I'm bringing in Queen Warbeak, and actually, all the sparrows.
I thought it was very unfortunate, and a great misfortune, on how easily the sparrows were killed in Mattimeo. Warbeak was apparently a good friend to Matthias through the gap of time we didn't see, and I wish she did not die. Indeed, I really miss all the sparrows. They were present for one book before they were all but wiped out, and I thought there was a chance the survivors could have expanded their breed. But, in all the books of the time after Mattimeo, there was no mention of the sparrows.

Big Drander from the Rogue Crew was a bitter loss. Sure, he was not the brightest hare in Salamandastron, nor the best example, but just as he was becoming more in depth, starting to change and develop . . . He gets killed by an arrow. At least if he had been turned toward the fight instead of with his back to it, he would have gone down a little better in my mind. Despite that, he is still a missed character.

There are other characters that could have used some more development before the book ended, like Urthwhite or whatever his name was, from Salamandastron.
So, who do you think could have had some work on them, or were removed from the story?
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Delthion

I must agree with you with the Sparrows, also Friar Hugo was another good one that died to soon.
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Banya

I like this topic.  I agree with you on Drander from The Rogue Crew.  Swiffo, from the same book, was another who died too quickly.  I had to re-read that paragraph a couple times to fully grasp that he'd died.

The Skarzs

Hmm . . . Swiffo was that otter who got killed when they burst through the gate, wasn't he?
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Banya

No, that was Kite the Slayer, another otter who I wish hadn't been such a minor character.  Swiffo was killed by Ketral Vane, the leader of the gang of foxes that lived in the woods.

The Skarzs

That whole book was full of characters like that, it seemed. :P
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Skyblade

Nice topic.

I was shocked by Skalrag's death in Martin the Warrior because it came so soon. I wanted him to live longer throughout the novel. The character had potential for interesting scenes.

In agreement about Friar Hugo and the sparrows.

More coming soon, if I think of them.

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

The Skarzs

Quote from: Skyblade on December 20, 2015, 07:04:55 AM
I was shocked by Skalrag's death in Martin the Warrior because it came so soon. I wanted him to live longer throughout the novel. The character had potential for interesting scenes.
Come to think of it, yes; he would have been an interesting character to have stayed. But, some characters must die.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Delthion

Another one that was disappointing but expected was Feldoh, he was awesome.
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Banya

From the same book, Juniper was a death that hit me.  Though a minor character, his youthful and determined personality were evident in the way he was introduced and interacted with the other characters, particularly Felldoh.  His death was a necessary trigger for Felldoh, but that didn't make it easier.
Also, years ago, Juniper reminded me of my little brother, so I have a special place in my heart for the character.

Skyblade

I wanted more of Ranguvar from The Legend of Luke. I know her death was necessary for sacrifice, but it would've been cool to see her in, say, another novel.

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Eulaliaaa!

I agree with the idea of Friar Hugo and Warbeak being underdeveloped characters. I also would have liked to read more about those tribes of rats in Loamhedge. The ones in the desert that stole all the food and water. We really didn't get to know much about them, though I do think it would have been interesting.
Just pretend there is something interesting and unique written here... I have nothing to say.

Delthion

Malkariss also was a let down. It was just a polecat. All of that mystery and power, and underground too, makes it appear to be a terrible creature of myth. And it was just a polecat... ;D

Eulaliaaa!

I don't mind that Malkariss was just a polecat. What I didn't like about that was... him. He was a disappointment and I was expecting much more. I get that he was old and dying, but there wasn't even a hint of what he might have once been when he was young. I mean, he had to be something great or he would have never gotten into the position he was in. And I understand that being stoned to death by his own slaves was supposed to be the slaves getting their revenge... but he just curled up and died so easily.

I would have loved to read more about him in his younger days, it would have been interesting.
Just pretend there is something interesting and unique written here... I have nothing to say.

Delthion

Brian Jacques probably knew how he was going to end it and was running out of inspiration. Or maybe he just didn't want to delve into him as much and leave us wondering. The imagination makes almost everything sound more mysterious and wonderful than it really is.