Slagar's Significance.

Started by Conrad the Painless, February 25, 2016, 01:13:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Conrad the Painless

Slagar's Significance...

Personally, one of my favorite Redwall books is Mattimeo. One of the many reasons I love it so much is due to the unique and interesting character known as Slagar the Cruel (Or Chickenhound, as previously known).

The definitive visual characteristics of this character are part of what makes him so appealing. But, upon further thought, I realized that he poses a much more significant role in the series.

He is the one that led the Redwallers to the rediscovery of Loamhedge. (Although costing him his life)

Do you think that this is a fact? If I'm wrong in this aspect, please notify me immediately, just to save me from the embarrassment.
"Our Lord and Savior.....The Easter Badger, shall pierce the darkness with his scepter and  guide us through the night...."

Groddil

Slagar was definitely one of my favorite characters. I like how, not only did he survive his first book, but he also returned as a villain in two books, something unheard of in any other Redwall books.

Conrad the Painless

Quote from: Groddil on February 25, 2016, 01:15:22 AM
Slagar was definitely one of my favorite characters. I like how, not only did he survive his first book, but he also returned as a villain in two books, something unheard of in any other Redwall books.

IN two other books besides the first one?
"Our Lord and Savior.....The Easter Badger, shall pierce the darkness with his scepter and  guide us through the night...."

Groddil

Well, no. He was a minor villain in Redwall and a major one in Mattimeo. Only woodlanders usually appear in 2 books.

Ashleg

What about Ripfang, wasn't he in two books?

Groddil

Quote from: Ashleg on February 25, 2016, 01:24:37 AM
What about Ripfang, wasn't he in two books?

Oh, yeah, he was too. Although whether or not they're the same rat is up for debate. For instance, Lord Brocktree, a badger lord in his prime, is about the same age as Ripfang. Yet somehow Ripfang lives on until Brocktree's son is old and grey, whilst still appearing pretty young himself.

Ashleg

Simple answer: Ripfang is immortal.

Either that or he just lived a lon time.
But I'm going with option one. ;D

Jukka the Sling

Brian Jacques explicitly stated that the two Ripfangs aren't the same guy.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Ashleg

Groddil

Quote from: Jukka the Sling on February 25, 2016, 02:27:11 AM
Brian Jacques explicitly stated that the two Ripfangs aren't the same guy.

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Conrad the Painless

Either way, Slagar was definitely a character Mr. Jacques put a lot of time and thought into. Man, I really want a Slagar mask.

The Skarzs

Slagar was a very interesting character. His career choice was. . . odd, especially since there may have been better ways of getting revenge on Matthias than his elaborate scheme.

One thing I've always really liked about Mattimeo is how frustratingly despairing it could be at some times. You really root for the good guys, young creatures who don't deserve captivity, and when they finally escape, we all think it's going to be alright. And Matthias and co. are so close to getting their loved ones back, both parties nearly touching, when disaster strikes. You can feel the pain so strongly, the desperation. And then they're back on the chain, to a gloom like no other.

Slagar was definitely a good villain, in one of Brian's best written books.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Captain Tammo

Quote from: Conrad the Painless on February 25, 2016, 04:21:35 AM
Either way, Slagar was definitely a character Mr. Jacques put a lot of time and thought into. Man, I really want a Slagar mask.

Well I don't know where you could get a mask, but I've been doing some shoe shopping lately (as I am in a desperate need of some new ones) and decided I wanted to get some converse. When I was playing around with the customizer, I found an option that made the shoes look a lot like Slagar's mask.

The shoes are $75 USD and you can create them on the converse website under "customize". The print here is called "multi print" It's not a mask, but I think its still pretty dang cool!
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Captain Tammo

Quote from: The Skarzs on February 26, 2016, 05:56:58 AM
Slagar was a very interesting character. His career choice was. . . odd, especially since there may have been better ways of getting revenge on Matthias than his elaborate scheme.

If I recall it, Slagar was doing a deal with Malkariss to get a huge plot of land. So he was just hitting 2 birds with one stone. Sounds to me like he wanted to retire after this big journey lol
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

The Skarzs

If by retire you mean use some of the Malkariss slaves to build himself a castle to rule from then sure.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.