News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

How long did it take to build a ship?

Started by Jack the Quick, July 02, 2019, 04:47:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack the Quick

I realized recently that in Redwall, instead of just building their own ship, the characters always seemed to steal or go join another ship, even if it took several seasons to do so. So that brought up a question. How long did it take to build a ship?
'I ate the sharpest tool in the shed'

"Inconceivable!" ~Vizzini, The Princess Bride

"Art is never complete, only abandoned," ~Leonardo da Vinci

Long live the RRR!!

The Skarzs

I don't know for certain, but after a quick Google search, it seems like one to two years was pretty standard- Even nowadays (though the ships are much much larger), and with modern technology, two years is about average.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Sebias of Redwall

Quote from: The Skarzs on July 04, 2019, 06:08:54 PM
I don't know for certain, but after a quick Google search, it seems like one to two years was pretty standard- Even nowadays (though the ships are much much larger), and with modern technology, two years is about average.
Hmm two years? I wonder if that would count as two seasons for the Woodlanders or would that be eight seasons?
"I can only speak two languages. English and rubbish." ~Brian Jacques

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

The Grey Coincidence

Well it could be both? As in, two autumns, winters, summers and springs, so eight seasons- but also be two seasons?
Profile by the wonderful Vizon.

Also, behold this shiny medal! How I got it is a secret...

Also, also, I am running fanfic conteeeeeests!

Jack the Quick

Bigger ships and modern technology cancel each other out, so I would say two years would make sense, like you two said. But you're right, would two years be two seasons or eight seasons?

Long live the RRR!!

The Grey Coincidence

I would say two seasons since I think 'seasons' the time word are years.
Profile by the wonderful Vizon.

Also, behold this shiny medal! How I got it is a secret...

Also, also, I am running fanfic conteeeeeests!

Jack the Quick

Yes, just put into the word 'seasons' to highlight the difference.

Long live the RRR!!

Steelinghades

Quote from: Jack the Quick on July 02, 2019, 04:47:10 PM
I realized recently that in Redwall, instead of just building their own ship, the characters always seemed to steal or go join another ship, even if it took several seasons to do so. So that brought up a question. How long did it take to build a ship?

It's highly varied from anywhere from 2-5 years for eighteenth century ships of the line to One day for the Venetian Arsenal in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries.

Jack the Quick

Hmmm. All of your points seem accurate, though sometimes they waited longer than two seasons to steal a ship. Steelinghades, your point makes a little bit of extra sense becauseRedwall is set at around that time, and I don't think anyone ever waited more than 5 seasons for a ship, though they might've.

Long live the RRR!!