The Default Theme Poll (6/8/16)

Started by James Gryphon, June 08, 2016, 05:00:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the Experimental theme be made the default choice?

Yes
20 (57.1%)
No
15 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 103

Voting closed: July 08, 2016, 05:00:18 PM

James Gryphon

As most people know, I've been working on a theme I've called the "Experimental" theme for some time now. This theme consists of setting up different backgrounds for "Other Works", "Cavern Hole", "The Cellars" and its child board, and "Front Lawns" and its child boards, and in the case of "Other Works", also a total overhaul of the interface's colors. While it's possible I'll make further changes to backgrounds or to interfaces, at this point in time, I'm willing to declare it complete enough for the purposes of this poll.

My goal from the start was to make something that everyone would want to use, although I admit I catered specially to my own preferences when I designed it. That said, though, I understand that some people like things the way they are, and it's my belief that people should not be forced into major changes that they disapprove of, when it's possible to provide them with an alternative.

So, this poll is to determine whether the Experimental theme (which would be rechristened) should be made the default choice for the forum. This would mean that new members signing up would automatically have the Experimental theme as their theme. It would also mean members who are set up to use the forum's default theme would have it as well.

Whatever happens with this poll, I must emphasize members will still have the option to choose whichever theme they want, whether it's the current default (Core) or the experimental theme, by going to this link. This poll only determines what the default theme will be, in the absence of any specific choice by the member.

When I work on the forum, I fully intend to continue to make changes that will work well for both themes, so the only thing you need to be concerned about is whether you want the aforementioned boards to have their own distinct backgrounds.

The poll will run for 30 days. With the intent of making sure this decision reflects the overwhelming consensus of the community, I will require 37 "Yes" votes (which, according to my calculations, is roughly 3/4ths of the active members of the community) to ratify this change. (If you're against changing the board's default theme, then you technically don't even need to vote.)

I encourage people to try out the Experimental theme for themselves before making a decision, if they haven't seen it yet. That said, here's some pictures that should show roughly what the new boards will look like, for those who don't want to go to the trouble of switching themes. ;)

Other Works custom theme
[close]

Cavern Hole theme
[close]

The Cellars/Hideouts theme
[close]

The Front Lawns/Birthdays/Orchard theme
[close]

Image hosting faithfully provided by Photobucket.

I think I've covered everything, but if anybody has any questions or comments, feel free to post them here. I've provided the option of changing your vote, so if you think one way and change your mind later on, you may do so (so long as it's before 30 days have passed).
« Subject to editing »

Wylder Treejumper

It's not bad, I just don't care for it. It's a bit distracting when you change between topics.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

The Skarzs

I prefer a common theme for every board; keeps everything streamlined and, like Wylder said, less distracting.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Skyblade

I just don't think different themes are necessary; the one we have is good.

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

James Gryphon

@Sky: Whether it's necessary isn't really the point. ;) (Besides, I already made it, so it isn't like having it will take up more work time.) Anyway, I don't think there's anything wrong with having some eye candy or things thrown in for flavor.

As far as whether it's distracting, that's a personal feeling, I guess. I used to frequent another forum that had this, and it didn't seem that big of a deal to me, but then, I guess a lot of those boards were sort of self-contained little communities -- not as much crossover as there is here, where most people generally visit most boards at some time or another.

I'm very enthusiastic about this, but it is my work, so I have a little bit of bias here. Right now it's looking as though this probably won't pass. I have to admit I'm a little disappointed about that, but if that's how it'll be, that's that. Hopefully I can come up with something that'll be a little more universally popular in the future, like the classic icons have been. ;)
« Subject to editing »

Leatho Shellhound

Is the home page brighter too? Or does it just feel that way when walking up the cellar steps?
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

Søren

I voted an enthusiastic yes. Because after 4 years, I'm really hating this plain parchment background. By far my least favorite aspect of the forum.

I'm retired from the forum

James Gryphon

Quote from: Leatho Shellhound on June 09, 2016, 06:35:43 PM
Is the home page brighter too? Or does it just feel that way when walking up the cellar steps?
I didn't change that, so it shouldn't be any different. But a different perspective can lead to apparent change. :)

I had a dream the other day about the old forum coming back. In the dream, it featured a totally new theme, with a lush forest/garden-type setting. Maybe if we're here long enough, we can make that happen sometime. ;)
« Subject to editing »

Captain Tammo

I like it! And I really appreciate the effort you put into updating the tone of the forum!
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Cornflower MM

Quote from: Skyblade on June 09, 2016, 06:07:34 PM
I just don't think different themes are necessary; the one we have is good.
Quote from: Wylder Treejumper on June 09, 2016, 05:29:59 PM
It's not bad, I just don't care for it. It's a bit distracting when you change between topics.

Well that summed up my feelings perfectly.

Also I , unlike Sor, really like the background.

Unimaginative

I really like that blue. Is there any way I could just get that as my default background?  ??? ;)
"Once built a steamboat in a meadow
Cos I'd forgotten how to sail" - The Gardener , The Tallest Man on Earth

Groddil

Unimaginative

"Once built a steamboat in a meadow
Cos I'd forgotten how to sail" - The Gardener , The Tallest Man on Earth