News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Commentary on the Book High Rhulain

Started by Wylder Treejumper, September 17, 2016, 07:30:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wylder Treejumper

For discussion related to the book High Rhulain.

@James Gryphon: If these topics are considered unnecessary please delete.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

belle

It was one of those books that are entertaining because its Redwall, not much else to it.

Ashleg

Spoilers for High Rhulain:
Spoiler
I thought Riggu's death was extremely anticlimactic. Pitru's was much more formidable.
[close]

rrrrr

One of my favorite in the whole series ^.^
rrrrr.....

Ho arr, mateys, swimming is fun!

I had shrimp 'n' hotroot soup today.

Darkenmal

I never really enjoyed this book. I won't go into too much detail, but for me it seemed that pretty much everything past The Taggerung was tired and filled with Redwall cliches.

Do we have a journey? Check.
Do we have to retrieve something? Check.
Are there any bad guy(s)? Check.
Is there a new land/place in need of saving? Check.

While each Redwall book utilizes these basic plot-points, High Rhulain didn't put a unique twist on it. Everything seen here has been done better in previous Redwall books. While I can go back to Mossflower and re-read it again and enjoy it, (check out out the audiobook version!) I feel no urge to go back to these later books.

I'll post a more in-depth review if anyone wants it, but these are my feelings on the post 2001 Jacques novels in a nutshell.
"I closed my eyes, only to open them again. I did not know what to expect, but I was afraid of knowing the truth; the truth which my dreams have revealed..." - Swiftpaw, Lord of Salamandastron and the Defender of the Western Coast.

Maudie

I personally never found High Rhulain boring. First of all, we learn more about the nuances and inner workings of the otter tribes. Secondly, we expand our horizons in the Redwall world. We also have a heroine who is a bit of Warlady, if you will. I mean, sure, there are other female warriors in the series, but it seems like the only position of leadership the ladies of the good species get is Abbess. Tiria is both a queen and a warrioress.

Also do you think the Slothunog was of Mr. Jacques's own invention, or if it had roots in our world? Anyone know of a reptilian creature that lives in warm/hot water? ;D
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Ashleg

The Slothunog seemed like Bessie(?) is that her name?

Feles

I am the harbinger of the spicy rooster apocalypse,
I am the hydrogen bomb in a necktie,
I hold the flames of a thousand collapsed stars,
I am Bobracha!

Ashleg

Melanda MacBurl

I was surprised to read that this book got such mixed reviews. It hit all of the right spots for me, featuring characters in a setting that were inspired by my adopted country, and a great female protagonist.

This might sound sappy and overly personal, but that meant the world to me growing up.

I wouldn't change who I am for the world, but I found out that there are a lot of people that think that if you're a girl, you're second-rate, not smart or strong or steady or sturdy enough to take care of things. If you're sweet, you're a pushover; if you're not, that's even worse! There's so much pressure on young ladies, and I suppose that's why I looked at Tiria as a sort of role model. She's ladylike and a great leader, while just being herself. She showed that you don't have to compromise who you are to have an impact on the world.

Maybe some people think she's too perfect, but I think she represents the sort of heroine that we need in literature, who's recognised as special just like the male heroes, to affirm to girls that they have a bright future ahead.
~ Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself. ~

Jetthebinturong

I remember loving this book when I first read it. That's probably mostly down to the fact that it focuses on the otters, but I never had any complaints about Tiria, though I do acknowledge comments about her being too perfect as valid. I still maintain my position that practically every male Redwall protagonist is a Mary-Sue. Mary-Sues are kind of a Redwall staple and I don't see why everyone has something bad to say about the female protagonists, particularly Tiria and Mariel, but never have any complaints about the same or similar issues in male characters.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Captain Tammo

High Rhulain was the first Redwall book I finished and I thought it was fantastic. While I was new to the Redwall formula then (which I believe there is one, although it's a very good formula because it sold over 20 million books, lol), it's still one of my favorites after having read all of the books at least once!

One of my favorite parts in it (and possibly the whole Redwall series) is when the otters are all down on their luck sitting around a fire, feeling pretty upset about everything and then BAM a random hare appears and starts ordering them to do stuff like he owns the place! The biggest otter of the bunch (a sort of 'little-john' esque otter, for those who have read Robin Hood) steps up and eyes the long-eared guy up and down. He asks in a gruff voice who the heck they have to do all this for. The hare, not blinking an eye gives them the answer they'd long given up on: "I believe her name is Rhulain, sah."

BOOM! gives me chills every time. Really great delivery by Brian Jacques
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

The Skarzs

Ooh, yeah, that part was very clever.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

clunylooney

"ABSOFLIPPINLUTELY" - Me

Sanddunes

Quote from: Darkenmal on January 09, 2017, 04:23:17 AM
I never really enjoyed this book. I won't go into too much detail, but for me it seemed that pretty much everything past The Taggerung was tired and filled with Redwall cliches.

Do we have a journey? Check.
Do we have to retrieve something? Check.
Are there any bad guy(s)? Check.
Is there a new land/place in need of saving? Check.

While each Redwall book utilizes these basic plot-points, High Rhulain didn't put a unique twist on it. Everything seen here has been done better in previous Redwall books. While I can go back to Mossflower and re-read it again and enjoy it, (check out out the audiobook version!) I feel no urge to go back to these later books.

I'll post a more in-depth review if anyone wants it, but these are my feelings on the post 2001 Jacques novels in a nutshell.

That's true this book is very similar to Mossflower