New Server Hosting

Started by James Gryphon, September 28, 2016, 04:03:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Gryphon

I'm pleased to announce that we've acquired new hosting for the site and forum. I got it cheaper than the price we'd been paying, and I think it will offer us much more potential for growth than what we've had so far. This will take care of the 50meg database limit once and for all, and should also give us the ability to use different domain names more seamlessly than we have so far.

The main thing that I'd like everyone to be aware of is that when the transition takes place, things might not be 100% here for a little while. I expect that everything should be in order before long, but there might be some kinks to work out as the domains and everything get moved over. So, if y'all have some trouble using the site over the next few days, don't panic; just keep me informed, and contact me at my email address if necessary.

Thanks for being part of a great community!
« Subject to editing »

James Gryphon

The site is up. As you can see, it's never looked worse.

All I can say is that I'm working hard to get things back to normal as soon as possible. In the meantime, it's expected that a lot of the stuff you've gotten accustomed to are not going to be working quite as they have been. I encourage you to PM me about everything you find that's broken and/or missing as soon as possible, so that I can get it sorted out.

During this time, all I can say is to think of the bright side -- there's no longer a 50 meg limit, and you have a unique domain name now, albeit one that suggests "I'll give you a virus" ;).
« Subject to editing »

James Gryphon

I thought there were two more things to address today before I get ready to go out of town (thus putting my work on the transition here temporarily at a rest).

Firstly, I wanted to apologize for the lack of advance notice. I don't always think the consequences of things through when I come across an idea for the forum, as y'all have probably figured out by now, and I jumped the gun a bit. While the transition was "pretty quick", I expected unrealistically that it would be next to instantaneous. So, I thought I could get by with putting up a notice two hours before, because 'everything would be done before y'all saw it'.

Obviously, that didn't happen. I don't think there's any permanent damage done, but I know it must've given the people who weren't on at 10:03 PM (CT) when I posted the announcement up a shock, and I'm sorry.

Secondly, I've put many of the old attachments that I think were people's avatars into a directory here. If yours was lost with the move, take a look and see if it's in there. If, after you look through here, it's still missing, contact me with a brief description of what it looked like and I will do my best to retrieve it for you when I can.

There's one more glitch I hope to fix before I leave, but I think most of the critical bug-busting has been taken care of, and the forum should be completely usable at this point. As always, though, if you see anything that doesn't work, please let me know and I'll deal with it ASAP.

Thanks for bearing with us.
« Subject to editing »