News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Doctor Who (Doo wee wooo)

Started by Edraithel, October 09, 2016, 06:39:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edraithel

I was talking with someone about Doctor Who. They had only watched one episode and it was the one with ten where on an alien planet there's that demon chained up below the surface. Anyway the person was saying that they didn't really like ten because he seemed goofy and over the top. At first glance ten does seem bubbly and a goofball but once you've watched his arc you realize he carries around a lot of pain with him and that the goofiness was all a cover up to disguise the pain. I would say that 11 is much less haunted by his past then 10 was. I think their difference in that regard is summed up perfectly in the line, "the man who regrets, and the man who forgets."
"A cage," she said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire." - Eowyn, Lord of the Rings

"Listen for the destination in your heart if you lose sight of your path." D. Gray Man

Firehawke

My favorite part of that episode (which I will admit upfront isn't one of my favs) is the fact that the Ood were introduced!

I agree...10 has SO much that he is carrying around and you see it weigh on him the later into his regeneration you get, especially in Water of Mars and End of Time.  11, while he does still have pain, he very much is back to looking for joy in the everyday things of life, even after very dramatic episodes.  Reminds me a lot of 4 and how he could go from being SO serious (the scene is Genesis of the Daleks where he debated what to do is primo!) to just moving on and giving people a big toothy grin and offering whomever came up next a Jelly Baby.

Update on my marathon...just started Series 2, ready for Tooth and Claw, followed by my all time fav ep of the series, School Reunion (Sarah Jane has always been one of my favorite companions).  May not watch any tonight, epic marathon wise...going to be watching "Blink"...a perfect episode for Halloween, while playing Doctor Who Legacy on my phone and Kindle to get the newly released costume for 12...Davros's chair!

Another update in case anyone is interested (and if not, please let me know!!!)...finished the blackwork on pages 3 and 4 of my 11 Stained Glass cross stitch project!

Spoiler
[close]
The knitting, crochecting, Zoo Tycoon playing, frog loving member!

Jetthebinturong

Interesting. The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit is generally regarded as one of the strongest stories in New Who, and I very much agree with that. If I were to make a top ten it'd probably be:

10. The Zygon Invasion/The Zygon Inversion
9. Under the Lake/Before the Flood
8. The Fires of Pompeii
7. The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit
6. Dalek
5. Blink
4. Human Nature/The Family of Blood
3. The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances
2. Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead
1. Midnight

Honourable mentions

In order of appearance:
Father's Day
Bad Wolf
/The Parting of the Ways
Tooth and Claw
School Reunion
The Girl in the Fireplace
The Runaway Bride
Smith and Jones
The Shakespeare Code
Gridlock
Utopia
/The Sound of Drums/Last of the Time Lords
Planet of the Ood
The Sontaran Stratagem
/The Poison Sky
The Doctor's Daughter
The Unicorn and the Wasp
The Eleventh Hour
Amy's Choice
Vincent and the Doctor
The Pandorica Opens
/The Big Bang
The Impossible Astronaut
/Day of the Moon
The Doctor's Wife
A Good Man Goes to War
The Girl Who Waited
The Rings of Akhaten
Cold War
The Day of the Doctor
Into the Dalek
Listen
Mummy on the Orient Express
Dark Water
/Death in Heaven
Face the Raven
/Heaven Sent/Hell Bent
[close]

"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Quote from: Firehawke on October 13, 2016, 07:03:43 PM
Haven't watched Broadchurch.

Continued my epic DW marathon...watched Vengeance on Varos...didn't quite make it to the end (that's what happens when I put a DVD on right before bed!).  Next up, Timelash and then Trial of a Time Lord (note...I'm sure that there are episodes in between all of these...but, while I have a decent sized collection, it's no where near complete!  NuWho, on the other hand, is complete, minus a couple of minisodes and the two animated stories).

Anyone else looking forward to Power of the Daleks next month?!?!?

Eh? Zey're 'avin' Pover O' Ze Dalekz! Finally! Ah dinnae vatch nevz zin'z or check ze vebzoitez much zat thankee koindly fer postin' zat. Ah 'ave been vaitin' fer zem tae 'ave zat available! Major! Ah 'ave Ze Undervater Menace (Ah zink zat iz ze vone i' tiz...ze vone at Atlantiz) but ah 'ave nae been able tae vatch it yet becauze o' zchool.

Und fer zoze zat 'ave nae zeen any o' ze Matt Smith vonez yet...Ze follovin' video clip iz a good tazte o' 'iz era:
Matt Smith - Nev Mouth
[close]
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Firehawke

Hope you get to watch Underwater Menace soon...it's fun!

Can't wait for Power of the Daleks to air here in the US...it's getting closer!

Marathon wise...just watch Lazarus experiment (thanks to my head cold (and deciding to skip the rest of series 2...just not in the mood  :P) I've had a lot more time to watch).

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Ah vaz actually nae az much originally likin' Zeriez 9 az ze previouz zeriez. Zere are taae many 2+ Epizode ztoriez in it. Ah appreciate it more na', but..Ze concept o' Hybridz 'az become intereztin' tae me.

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Jetthebinturong

I love Series 9. I find long-running stories more interesting than self-contained forty minute episodes. The only episodes I didn't like were The Girl Who Died and Sleep No More.

Speaking of Power of the Daleks, I'm very angry that the BBC has decided not to release the colour version in Britain when we're obligated to pay for them (through tax), whether we watch them or not. For those who don't know, the BBC is a state-funded channel, their objective is meant to be to serve the needs of the British public and they should not be acting like any other corporation.

Matt Smith is my third favourite Doctor after Capaldi and Pertwee (not necessarily in that order). I just love his speeches so much.
slight Series 4: Specials spoilers
I do enjoy David's Doctor, but his regeneration scene prevents me from loving him as much. All other Doctors except Troughton, the Second (who was forced to do it) have faced their regenerations with acceptance and optimism. Not Tennant though. He has to have a long melodramatic goodbye and say "I don't want to go." Ugh. No issue with David, just with the writing. I think Russel got too caught up in Ten and Rose, treating them like the perfect Doctor/companion duo. Well they weren't.
[close]

I know this is probably like nerd blasphemy, but Class is better than Doctor Who. Actually allow me to rephrase that, the last episode was better than any single episode of Doctor Who. The whole show probably outranks Class, but the last episode of Class was, I think, the single best episode of any TV show I've ever seen. Plus I've had my love for Charlie's character reaffirmed, whereas the last one made it waver.

The last two episodes have been insane and the next one looks like it will be as well.

Speaking of episodes, anyone want to share their favourites?

Firehawke

Favorite episode of Class or Doctor Who?

I can honestly say that I don't have a favorite episode of Class...I haven't seen any :P

As for favorite Doctor Who...Classic would have to be Genesis of the Daleks hands down...with a number of close seconds.  NuWho would have to be...Blink, or Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead, or Robots of Sherwood...and Heaven Sent.  Okay...also basically any from 11 and 12 that have the really great speeches.

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

O' ze originalz- Ze Var Gamez, Ze Toime Meddler, Terror O' Ze Zygonz, Ze Zree Doctorz, Ze Foive Doctorz, Ze E-Zpace Trilogy, Tomb O' Ze Cybermen, Ze Green Deaz, Ze Original Dalekz ztory, Ze Chaze (ezpecially zat vone part in it vhere ze Dalek(z) iz beaten by ze Gorilla), Ze Zpace Muzeum becauze i' tiz a good ztory-  und funny, Ze Tenz Planet, Robot, Planet O' Ze Zpiderz, Zpearhead From Zpace, etc.

O' ze nev vonez- Lizten, Ze Day O' Ze Doctor, Ze End O' Toime, Deep Breath, Ze 'uzbandz O' River Song, Ze Veddin' O' River Song, Partnerz In Croime, Voyage O' Ze Dead (Changin' zat lazt vord o' zat toitle becauze ah dinnae curze), Planet O' Ze Ood, etc.

EDIT: Ach ah forgot tae put me very firzt Doctor Vho ztory!

Firehawke

Those are all great choices!!!  And I'm with you on changing that title for the very same reason!

Has everyone seen the sneak peek???

Jetthebinturong

I am finding it very hard to be optimistic about the Christmas special.

When it comes to classics, I haven't seen many, only Pertwee's first four seasons (up 'til Jo's departure), Pyramids of Mars, Warriors of the Deep, Trial of a Time Lord and parts of City of Death and The Deadly Assassin. Out of the ones I've seen, I really like Inferno, Colony in Space, The Mind of Evil, The Curse of Peladon, The Three Doctors, The Frontier in Space, Planet of the Daleks and Mindwarp.

Firehawke

You've seen some good ones, then!!!

Is anyone else watching Power of the Daleks???

And is anyone else planning on a Thanksgiving weekend binge watch of Doctor Who???

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Ah forgot tae put me firzt ztory on zere. Me firzt Doctor Vho ztory vaz Zpearhead From Zpace. Vaz vaz everybeazt elze'z firzt ztoriez?

EDIT: Ah juzt found oot ze ozer day: David Tenant vaz in 'arry Potter Und Ze Goblet O' Fire!

Jetthebinturong

Rose. Spearhead was my first classic.

Firehawke

Happy Doctor Who Day everyone!!!

This video was released to celebrate (haven't gotten a chance to watch it...it's on my to do list for today  :D )

Spearhead from Space is a fun episode!  Love the Brigadier! 

It's so weird watching David Tennant in Goblet of Fire after watching him as the Doctor  :P

My first DW was actual the very last of classic...Survival, featuring Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor, Sophie Aldred as Ace, and Anthony Ainley as the Master.