News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

For Talkin' About Books

Started by Gonff the Mousethief, October 18, 2016, 04:56:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashleg

I just finished Tailchaser's Song on Wednesday, and it was great.
I definitely recommend it if you're looking for (get ready) a horror version of Watership Down with cats.
But oddities aside, it really is good. Go read it.

Jetthebinturong

Started reading The Foxhole Court by Nora Sakavic. Just... good gods. The club scene was one of the creepiest things I've ever read. Don't do drugs kids. And don't go to clubs with psychopaths.

Before the club scene, I liked Nicky, but after, just ew. I wonder if he has some mental issues that haven't been addressed yet. It would make sense, coming from his family.

When I think about it, Andrew and Nicky are kinda like mutual enablers. Everyone's scared of Andrew and does whatever he says, which in turn gives Nicky the opportunity to do whatever crazy stuff he wants to.

Sometimes I hate Aaron more than I hate Andrew. I know neither of them can help their disorders but like Aaron's apathy is Andrew's number one enabler. Kevin is number two but I can't really hate Kevin yet.

Also what's the point in Andrew's medication if it doesn't make him less violent? Like, it alters his mood to be more happy. Alright, fine. But he still pulls knives on people and does whatever the heck he wants. This book confuses me.

And I mean how can it be that hard to stand up to Andrew? He may be a literal psychopath (diagnosed and everything) but he's still not physically impressive or strong. Violent, sure, but if everyone just fought back then he wouldn't be able to do anything. I mean he's terrifying, but to the point where no one will fight back? Actually I guess Matt and Seth stand up to him, and Wymack, but that's pretty empty if they just let him keep all his knives and stuff.

Andrew may be mentally ill, and maybe I should feel sorry for him, but he should never have been given parole.

I knew the Foxes were messed up but damn.

I fear for Neil's safety.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Ashleg

THE CHRONICLES OF CHRESTOMANCI BOOKS ONE AND TWO...
Go read them right now.
I picked it up (together in one book) because it was three dollars, thinking it was gonna be boring, but this ended up being the fastest I have ever read through 500+ pages of something.

Think Harry Potter meets the Sword in the Stone, except with don't kill me for this more interesting characters.

Oh, and for you anime nerds, it was written by the person who created Howl's Moving Castle!

Cornflower MM

Oh yes. Diana Wynne Jones' Chrestomanci Chronicles.

I've wanted to read them for a long time, but have only read a spin-off, I believe, and it's been a while since I've read that.

Anything written by DWJ is a good read, I promise, so go read anything you can find by her :P

alexandre

Just finished Sea of Trolls

It was... Ok

Like LoTR + Percy Jackson

So it was kinda cool

But everything this book did, LoTR did better. ;D
Why they try to tear the mountains down to bring in a couple more
More people, more scars upon the land

~ John Denver

And daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County
Down by the Green River where Paradise lay
Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking
Mister Peabody's coal train has hauled it away

~ John Prine

Gonff the Mousethief

Quote from: alexandre on March 27, 2017, 12:59:50 AM

It was... Ok

So it was kinda cool

Sounds interesting. And of course LotR did it better, duh  ;D

Okay, so I feel I need to share this. So I have the newest Winnie the Pooh book which released back in October right. Well there are four stories in it, one for each season. So I decided to read each story for each season. On the first day of Spring I went ahead and read the spring one, in which Eeyore tells about another donkey he supposedly saw. He enlists Pooh to help find this donkey so it doesn't eat all of his thistles. By the end though I was completely touched. It is revealed that there wasn't another donkey at all, but rather Eeyore seeing his reflection. But why he thought it was a different donkey was because he saw some new thistles growing and smiled. He never had seen himself smiling before, and thought it was so out of character of him and so impossible that it had to be someone else. That really moved me because of how simply sad it is. I dunno, just thought it was nice. Plus this makes me love Winnie the Pooh even more.
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Jukka the Sling

^ Aww, that sounds kinda adorable.  And sad in a way.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

alexandre

Yesterday I started The Wind In The Willows

Its pretty good
Why they try to tear the mountains down to bring in a couple more
More people, more scars upon the land

~ John Denver

And daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County
Down by the Green River where Paradise lay
Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking
Mister Peabody's coal train has hauled it away

~ John Prine

Rosie Willowwater

Quote from: Gonff the Mousethief on March 27, 2017, 04:53:03 AM
Quote from: alexandre on March 27, 2017, 12:59:50 AM

It was... Ok

So it was kinda cool

Sounds interesting. And of course LotR did it better, duh  ;D

Okay, so I feel I need to share this. So I have the newest Winnie the Pooh book which released back in October right. Well there are four stories in it, one for each season. So I decided to read each story for each season. On the first day of Spring I went ahead and read the spring one, in which Eeyore tells about another donkey he supposedly saw. He enlists Pooh to help find this donkey so it doesn't eat all of his thistles. By the end though I was completely touched. It is revealed that there wasn't another donkey at all, but rather Eeyore seeing his reflection. But why he thought it was a different donkey was because he saw some new thistles growing and smiled. He never had seen himself smiling before, and thought it was so out of character of him and so impossible that it had to be someone else. That really moved me because of how simply sad it is. I dunno, just thought it was nice. Plus this makes me love Winnie the Pooh even more.

What Jukka said is exactly how I felt after reading that. Eeyore is and always shall be the best character in my mind.

I also relate to what he feels. When I haven't felt really and truly good in a long time all of the 'happy' moments I experience feel fake and out of place because I know I'll feel bad once the moment is over.