News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Return to Redwall

Started by Rosie Willowwater, April 19, 2017, 02:35:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosie Willowwater

So, seeing all of your happy feelings on coming back I decided to make a little bit of a story based on that. It isn't my best work but I am by no means a writer. Also, feel free to point out mistakes I made. I need the honest criticism.

Anyway, enjoy!

Spoiler

Sierra tentatively opened the ash covered gate his heart beating loudly in his chest and tears still streaming down his face. He had been wandering through Mossflower woods for what felt like weeks in search of the abbey he once called home. After seeing it  in the distance a few hours back he had raced to it leaving behind all of his doubts and worries that held him back for so long. Now finally standing here he opened his eyes to see the abbey standing tall, worn and broken but still home.

~~~~~

A trail of smoke curled through the trees and into the sky marking the new home for the former abbeybeasts. They had been overthrown by vermin of unspeakable strength and were forced to leave the abbey for many a season until they had the strength and weaponry to return. Though this new makeshift abbey was nothing like the first it had grown its own little community and housed many a wandering beast.

Peeking into Matthias' tent Rosie, after a long day of gathering the materials for new beasts to have a place for rest saw the abbot pacing around the room, his brow furrowed and a worried expression had plastered itself on his face.

"Is everything alright Abbot Matthias? You seem troubled." Rosie remarked, stepping inside.

He jumped back at the sudden intrusion but softened as he saw the young hedgehog's somber face, and odd look on such a small beast.

"Nothing that you need to worry about young one. You can go back to playing with the other beasts."

"I personally don't find-"

Shouts were heard outside along with cries of joy loud enough to make a whole city crumble. Footpaws stomped on the ground as a squirrel known as Peony burst through the front of the tent.

"He's back Abbot Matthias! Sierra is back!" She hopped around in excitement almost knocking over the entire tent.

She raced off in the direction of the noise with Matthias and Rosie trailing behind. They came upon the scene of an exhausted Sierra bent over and panting heavily with over twenty beasts surrounding him.

"Skyblade, Jukka, get food and water for Sierra. I will stay here to take care of him. Everyone else, clear out. There is need to rush him."

The badger and squirrel raced away, while the rest went back to the front of their tents waiting for a murmur or phrase from Sierra for he had not uttered a word since he arrived. Matthias took his arm over his own shoulder started walking him over to his tent and onto his bed.

After he laid there for a while with a half full jug of water and loaf of bread beside him he slowly started to explain the wonders he saw and the Abbey's walls still intact and standing strong. The vermin had fled for unknown reasons and Redwall has stayed the same as it was seasons ago.

~~~~~

It's been twelve sunsets since Sierra came back. The abbeybeasts have traveled for all but one of those days which they had reserved for a much needed rest. The one wagon they had was occupied by the elderly, young, and Sierra. After his last trip he was in no position to walk let alone for the length the others were. He sat at the front of the wagon telling directions to the rest of the group on how to get back to their beloved abbey. Rosie sat next to Sierra staring at him with an odd face of confusion. She was a weird little hedgehog.

"Look ahead!" Amber shouted, dashing forward towards the silhouette of the abbey crawling over the horizon, "It's home!"

Once they arrived at the gates the same feeling that Sierra felt washed over them. That feeling of happiness and fear, jubilance and anguish. You could hear the wind whistling in the silence of the moment for no one knew what to say lest they should destroy that beautiful feeling.

Abbot Matthias took a step closer to the door, already askew from Sierra's quick exit. He rested his paw on the worn wood and pushed, crossing the last hurdle that kept them back. Taking a step forward he felt the memories flood back, the years of childhood bliss, watching the others run around near the pond on beautiful summer days, all of it. It overpowered the beasts as they wandered aimlessly inside these walls. Now, and forever, home.
[close]

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Matthias720

Skyblade

Nicely done, and kindly written!

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Luftwaffles

~Please be sure to join us if ever you are passing~.

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

Gonff the Mousethief

Bravo Rosie, bravo! It was a great tale and one which brought a smile to my face for sure. Keep up the great work!
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Lady Amber

That was awesome, Rosie! I loved it. :)

Chipster of Noonvale

That's a really nice story Rosie :) Thank you for writing it.

Rosie Willowwater

Thank you so much guys! This got a better reaction than I thought.

MeadowR

~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Rosie Willowwater

Lady Ashenwyte

The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

Nadaz, voice of the host

It sounds great, is Matthias the same as the Matthias from Redwall and Mattimeo?
It matters not what you fight, but what you fight for.

The Skarzs

The characters are actually all forum members! 
We had an incident some time ago where this forum site was down. Thanks to the efforts of some awesome members, we have it back for good. That's what this is about.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Matthias720

Quite so. I'm the Matthias being referred to. Being admin is kinda like being an Abbot. ;)