News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Roleplaying Advice

Started by Taggerung_of_Redwall, June 22, 2011, 10:06:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eualaia

wolves will slay whoever they want to.....*growl* "AGHH''

Ceteruler

eualaia

example: random character follows random character2*

Ceteruler

Ah, yes. Those can be annoying.

eualaia

right action commands: random guy follows random guy 2.

RatBane

OK RatBane's words of wisdom.

OK I have to say this it is not to be mean to any one here but the 1 line posts are driving me nuts. I have apparently posted her and for got I have so if this is a restatement then sorry.

If your going to do some thing read a few of the post and react to more then one if that post is with in your area of action. It is like playing D&D if any of you have done so you can do so many actions and then your through well here it is close to that.

Write at the minim of 5 lines not 1 do and action do something you know.

Example: Ratbane stands on one foot does a jig as Menzy and MouseChaser watch from a distance. Both of them look at each other and wonder to themselves in thought "What is this vermin doing?"

and use " " when speaking actions are in normal text and thought use the  Italics

also if your posting with the " " you can use *'s for actions in between the speaking to note them as actions it help with the flow of reading so here is and example.

"You take this!" *Ratbane throws the spear at the mouse* "HA how you like that mouse!"

Now people harp on grammar a bit here I will tell you right now I suck at it and very poor speller as well. No worries to you if you are do your best and enjoy the RP is all I ask.

SO I do hope this helps and if you have question and issues or just want to know or just ask a question ask me in pm or however I will do my best to answer.

Not all Rats are bad just the ones that make them self out to be.

BrookSkimmer

I will say that there many accepted ways to signify what is happening in a post. Examples:

Rat was feeling gloomy. He picked up his knife and twirled it before tossing it point first into the deck. Rat picked it up and sighed.

"Wish there was something interesting going on today..." He muttered to himself.

Then weasel walked across the deck.

"Maybe Weasel would like to play a game." Rat thought as he stood up and walked over to Weasel.

This in an example of the signification I use. *'s are not necessary when the writer clearly describes what the character is doing. I do think italics work very well for thoughts or words spoke in low tones.

Watch the boards and see what most people are using in their posts. Signify the way others do, that makes a more unified group of role players.

As for one line posts, they are acceptable on these boards. (I can't for the life of me write a one line post... I have too much I want to write)  :) People use these boards to have fun and learn about RPing. Usually as people spend more time RPing they add depth to their posts.

Tiria Wildlough

When people are talking to a character of a person who posted a while ago, can they quote the post they want to reply to? For instance...

Quote from: Wisteria Wild Cat on March 13, 2012, 02:45:50 PM
Wisteria cursed the wind, for it had brought her scent to the otter, but also the otter's scent to her. Flexing her claws, (With the metal extensions, non poisoned) She spoke, "Who are you? And do you have any...valuables? Pfft! Never mind, drop the daggers, waterdog!"

After she posted that, a couple of other people posted. Then I wanted to reply to her post, so I quoted it:

Quote from: Tiria Wildlough on March 14, 2012, 07:33:01 AM
Quote from: Wisteria Wild Cat on March 13, 2012, 02:45:50 PM
Wisteria cursed the wind, for it had brought her scent to the otter, but also the otter's scent to her. Flexing her claws, (With the metal extensions, non poisoned) She spoke, "Who are you? And do you have any...valuables? Pfft! Never mind, drop the daggers, waterdog!"
Nelka sneered. 'I don't take orders from vermin. Go away.'

So, when people do that, can they remember to quote? Otherwise, it gets really confusing.
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Dannflower Reguba

Quick question. How do you sign up? Thanks in advance. Danflor
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Redwall Musician

You go to the discussion topic of the role play you want to join. If they are still accepting role-players, you have to post and fill out something like this:

Name: Bob
Species: Mouse

Then the GM or Gamemaster (the person who started the RP) will let you in. One useful tool when joining an RP is the Role-Play Directory.

But if you have anymore questions, please refer to the Role-Play Questions topic
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

SFox63

i've noticed a lot of players use a ton of characters in games.. to me it makes it waaaay too confusing to see where everybeast is when theres 5+ players in an rp

Dannflower Reguba

It only gets confusing when the names are similar, or there are a LOT of characters, generally it's good to have about 10 + players as then there is usually something going on.

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

KitrallStreamrippler

Erm, so I came across a suggestion for RPing which I thought was interesting, and I figured this is the place to put it... I was told that RPs which are done in an "episode" format actually last longer than most other ones, and help keep up interest. Also, it is good for characters who can only be there sometimes: they can be present in certain "episodes" and absent in others without too much fuss.

For clarification on what I mean by "episode" format: Basically, an RP in this style would consist of a series of relatively short adventures/escapades/etc. The "series" could conceivably run on forever, as long as one or two people kept up interest and had ideas. Also, it could be set aside for a while between episodes, then picked up later.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of woes and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight!

Dannflower Reguba

Quote from: KitrallStreamrippler on June 04, 2013, 12:18:03 AM
Erm, so I came across a suggestion for RPing which I thought was interesting, and I figured this is the place to put it... I was told that RPs which are done in an "episode" format actually last longer than most other ones, and help keep up interest. Also, it is good for characters who can only be there sometimes: they can be present in certain "episodes" and absent in others without too much fuss.

For clarification on what I mean by "episode" format: Basically, an RP in this style would consist of a series of relatively short adventures/escapades/etc. The "series" could conceivably run on forever, as long as one or two people kept up interest and had ideas. Also, it could be set aside for a while between episodes, then picked up later.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

I've got a few strings of those cooking myself.  ;) AbbotAlf used that tactic with his series... forgot what it was called, but it was fast-paced to say the least.

rachel25

I'm thinking about maybe joining the next RP tournament but should I join a normal RP first  :)