For the Throne - Discussion

Started by The Skarzs, February 19, 2016, 06:08:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Skarzs

Out of the shores of the western ocean that encroached upon the land of Plantarre grew a mountain, a tall cone rising into the sky as a monolith against the ravages of time. Its magma had cooled eons before, and it was as cold beneath as it was to the touch above. But when the lava receded, it left tunnels through the whole mountain, twisting and winding like burrows of massive worms. Creatures discovered this mountain, and its wonders inside, and scooped out the touch passages to leave neater, walkable paths through the rock. It became known as the Mountain of the Fire Lizard, and later, Sarahadoron.
  Through the years, creatures settled around it on the dunes, using the ocean as a source of food, and the mountain as a landmark, and as a home. Eventually they settled further inland, but the mountain was ever a site for communities and centralization; it was almost their origin.
  As time went on, these creatures came under the rule of a king, who lead justly enough, and the land prospered for many years to come. That was until a beast from across the oceans came with fierce fighters and extreme viscousness, making their way all but unopposed into the very heart of Sarahadoron, and to the king. The only indication of what could have happened in that encounter was when the king's mutilated body was found far below at the base of the mountain, where he had been tossed out into the expanse.
  This intruder, a monitor lizard with rust-hued scales by the name of Kraoleck, took the throne of Sarahadoron as his own. The citizens of Plantarre could do little to resist this new dictator, as fear spread like wildfire, the poison of the mind. Kraoleck said it was for their survival that they serve his needs. Indeed, he convinced many of a land to the north who would surely sweep south into their land as an army, and kill indiscriminately; they would need to aid their king. Those who were strong enough to work were put to work. Those who worked already worked harder. Creatures became recluses into their own homes after dark, no social visits or rejoicing. It did not matter whether this northern threat was real or not. They were in the midst of it all no matter where they turned.
  But was it true? Was there really an evil peoples who would come as barbarians through their land? Furthermore, was this king, the monitor who claimed to be the true Fire Lizard, really one who would protect them in their time of need? Some would question their leader, quietly, and wonder if there were some way their land could be ridden of their trials.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I want to start RPing again! Hopefully this will get some people. . . :P

As you may have noticed, this is an alternate universe to the Redwall universe. Names such as Mossflower and Salamandastron have been replaced by Plantarre and Sarahadoron respectively. There is no castle or fortress resembling Redwall or Kotir, Martin and his sword never existed, and this is an entirely different chain of events to effect the history of the land.
Anyways, there are a few things I need to mention. First, all beasts are equally good or bad as the next. That means, good vermin and bad woodlanders are allowed (and encouraged). I would like to keep the two groups to be relatively even amounts, so if you want two characters, one of each would be nice. Accents are optional.

The characters that need to be taken are:
King Kraoleck and some of his creatures; they may be monitors, if you like, or any other species.
The leader of some renegades/outlaws, as well as some of his creatures.
Some citizens who get caught up in some way.
Foreigners are allowed, but any species not native to the books must be approved by me, and they must choose their side as cautiously as any foreigner would.

I may take some of these, if need be.

Character sheet:

Name:
Species:
Weapons: (Only if they are part of King Kraoleck's army or part of the rebels.)
Appearance:
Personality:
History: (Optional)
Other:

Rules:
1. IF YOU JOIN THIS RP, THEN YOU AGREE TO CONTINUE IT UNLESS YOU CONTACT ME TO SAY YOU ARE LEAVING. That means, doing your best to post when you can.
2. Make worthwhile posts. Quality over quantity, but quantity over minimum.
3. Think of your own ideas to implement! The GM can have a general idea, but they can only do so much, and this RP is supposed to be interactive. I have no idea where you guys will help this lead to.
4. Have fun!

My characters

Name: King Kraoleck

Species: Monitor

Weapons: A handsome longsword with a brass hilt set with an onyx gem on either side. It is carried in its scabbard by a sharkskin belt

Appearance: Kraoleck is a monitor, with dry scales covering his body from snout to tail tip, all brown with a rusty red tint, though his neck and belly are just a plain light brown. His eyes are dark gold with slitted pupils, never blinking under his thick brows. His right top fang has been replaced with a gold replica that sticks out over his lower lip. He utilizes his physique to intimidate others, as he is by no means small or weak, being a monitor, and his appearance is quite frightening to many.
The king's apparel includes an embroidered yellow open front tunic with no sleeves, fastened at his waistwith a light chain, as well as his sword belt. He wears a blue cape when he is out of his fortress. During the winter months he wears longer clothing, though he stays inside the whole time due to the cold.

Personality: The monitor is a good portion of what one would not want as a leader: Tight-fisted, impatient, fire-tempered, and not prone to mercy. He has an obsession with being in control, almost an authority disorder, and he will do a lot to make sure it stays that way, either through trickery and fear, or physical means. He can be very sadistic, especially to prisoners, and may take care of his victims personally.

History: Born as a prince on an island to the south and west of Plantarre, Kraoleck eventually inherited the reign from his father, and immediately started an ambitious campaign to leave the increasingly populated island. They already had ships from pirates and other seafarers, and soon nearly the whole island's inhabitants were sailing out over the seas. After much time of hopping from one speck of land to another, Kraoleck discovered through word of ear of a land called Plantarre, and he coveted it for himself. But just this once, he could be patient, and devised plans to ensure his reign would be untroubled. . .

Other: He is not a beast to be taken lightly in most any field, as he is cunning in planning, as well as a skilled swords beast.

Name: Fauken (Fow-kin)

Species: Wildcat

Appearance: Fauken may not be a summer rose, with an eyepatch over her left eye and the scar passing above and below it, but the right side of her face shows that she could be an attractive creature, with a pale blue eye set in her smooth speckled fur. She wears a light brown skirt and a green long-sleeved tunic, as well as a brown cloak. Around Fauken's waist is a satchel that has most things she needs, like some food, medical supplies, and a sling. Lastly, at her left side is a big knife which she uses for everything.

Personality: She is a very independent creature, always certain that she doesn't need help from anybeast, and quite content to travel around as she pleases. She doesn't trust others easily, especially with her past experiences. A wanderer and rebel at heart, she finds the idea of kings and queens to be frustrating and senseless, and will doubtlessly hate Kraoleck especially.

History: When Fauken was young, her father, who was a widower, took her off with him to find a better place to live. While he wasn't the most caring father, when they were attacked by a group of vermin who they had had a disagreement with, he defended her with his life and made sure she was off safe, though she bore the mark of battle on her eye. She hadn't seen him since. Now she wanders the land, stopping every so often for supplies when she needs them and moving on. Currently she finds herself near the logging village at the outskirts of the Plantarre Forest.

Other: Wants to travel northwards after a short stop near Sarahadoron.
[close]
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

LT Sandpaw

Very interesting Skarzs, I'm glad some more people are beginning to want to RP again because I was afraid the board had lost interest to a lot of people. But thanks to you, and Ashleg it might be coming back up in popularity.

So before I begin making characters I needed to make sure this idea fitted into the lore of this RP. Would there be a set of creatures who worked in Sarahadron under the good king, but once Kraoleck showed up nothing really changed for them? They just fell under the new leadership willingly, and their lives remained mostly the same? Or would Kraoleck have killed all those serving under the King?

I want to make a mouse character who is like the steward in charge of the castle staff that ran the place, and when Kraoleck attacked he simply moved from one ruler to the next letting old loyalties lie dormant. Would that be acceptable?

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

The Skarzs

Yes, that would work fine. The only change a creature like that would see is the way the citizens on the outside would be treated. The king needs servants in his "castle".
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

LT Sandpaw

Excellent I'll get to work then. Oh and yeah, castle, mountain fortress same difference. :P

Oh and one more little question how would the citizens on the outside be living? Are they in a city, spread out settlements, a few towns?

Hickory

I might go for a leader or second-in-command for the resistance. Is the resistance small? Do they have a hideout? Tactics? Weapons?
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

The Skarzs

Quote from: LT Sandpaw on February 19, 2016, 04:14:09 PM
Oh and one more little question how would the citizens on the outside be living? Are they in a city, spread out settlements, a few towns?
The closest, and largest, is a wide town that is set up more to the eastern side of the mountain. Farmers travel a couple miles inland in the morning to work on crops, then return in the evening. Others go into the mountain to mine in the lower caverns for ores. Higher class individuals actually own some of the fields that are worked, or are in charge of the labor, so they have life a little easier, though most are puppets of the king.
There are other towns, one on the edge of the Plantarre forest that is mostly a lumber producing town, chopping down trees, making charcoal, furniture, and other things. Another is more north on the shore near the mouth of the Tarre River, a marine town.

Quote from: Sagetip on February 19, 2016, 04:15:14 PM
I might go for a leader or second-in-command for the resistance. Is the resistance small? Do they have a hideout? Tactics? Weapons?
The resistance is indeed small, and while they are a resistance, they're little more than pests in the eyes of Kraoleck. At their largest they number a little less than one hundred creatures, and the damage they can do is minimal. They have a decent assortment of weapons, though mostly bows, knives, and javelins, as swords would not be something they could get their paws on unless they kill a soldier. Others, working citizens, may agree that life could be better without their new king, but there are few who dare risking their own lives when the rebels are such a minority they could be wiped out at any time.
And that is how the king wants it to stay.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Hickory

Hmm, so will the RP end with Kraoleck winning?

LT Sandpaw

That would be a serious spoiler Sage. We must play the RP to find out. ;)

Jukka the Sling

I'm interested in this.  I'll try and make a character sometime soon...
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Cornflower MM

Hey Sage, you wanna be the resistence leader while I'm teh second-in-command? Or maybe the other way around?

LT Sandpaw

Hm, so I got Ordis all finished and I have a second character all written up as well. But I'll wait and see what other people create before posting him. I'm thinking I could make changes depending on certain attributes, gender count ect.

Anyway here he is Ordis Fletcher.

Ordis Fletcher

Name: Ordis Fletcher
Species: Mouse
Weapons: He has no real weapons, however he carries a small pen knife.

Appearance: Ordis is true to the looks of most mice with a thin body, a thin furless tail and little bald paws. However his passive face and small stature allows him to move almost unnoticeably amongst larger creatures. His clothing is a plain but comfortable yellow uniform with long sleeves that can be easily folded back. His footpaws are shod in plain cloth slippers that allow him to move quietly, and also keeps the floors from being smudged by his paw prints. Around his waist is often a belt covered in pouches containing messages, cleaning supplies, ink and writing equipment, and long lists of tasks to be done, purchases to be made, and other such things. His fur is a light tan, with white splotches on his arms and between his ears.

Personality: While not the best houseguest Ordis is outspoken and commanding amongst the castle staff. However he is also very responsive to orders and does almost any task willingly. This mentality to change roles from commander to servant gave him his original position as Sarahadoron steward. A position he is inwardly very proud of, and would sacrifice many things for. This among other reasons kept him alive, and in his position after Kraoleck's takeover.

History: Ordis is a creature who was born to serve not only does he do it well, but he enjoys it. During his youth amongst the settlements of Plantarre Ordis got the chance to serve one of the king's advisors while the advisor did an inspection of the communities work. Pleased with Ordis' efforts the advisor brought him back to Sarahadoron to serve there. Ordis moved though the serving ranks quickly, and soon became assistant to the steward. After an accident the original steward was forced to retire to a loftier, but less active position, the rank of Steward fell to Ordis who fell to his responsibilities eagerly.
After serving for some time as Steward Ordis became respected and trusted by both the serving staff and the nobility. It was this respect that save Ordis' life, and his position. During the initial takeover Ordis managed to organize the staff to switch from one ruler to the next keeping many of them alive. Kraoleck noticed this swift action, and left Ordis in his positon to continue keeping Sarahadoron running smoothly.

Other: Ordis has a small family, a wife and daughter who live in Sarahadoron. His wife serves meals, and his daughter is in training and does basic chores.
[close]

The Skarzs

Accepted.

Glad some people have Ben looking at this. :)
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Hickory

Quote from: Cornflower MM on February 19, 2016, 08:52:47 PM
Hey Sage, you wanna be the resistence leader while I'm teh second-in-command? Or maybe the other way around?
Other way around, if you don't mind.

Lady Amber

This looks interesting! I'll most likely join once I think up a character.

Lady Ashenwyte

My character
Name: Seht.
Species: Monitor lizard
Weapons: Spear (Named Muatra).
Appearance: He wears a gilded breastplate, on which are murals of him defeating monsters which are supposedly his children. He wears armour that covers his body, but looks like skin. His scales are dull, muddy brown, and his eyes are red.
Personality: He has a sense of humour and he acts like a mentor.
History:
Other: He is very knowledgeable about battle tactics, and is often seen meditating.
[close]
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.