Beginner's Guide to Roleplaying.

Started by Lady Ashenwyte, November 28, 2016, 11:41:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Ashenwyte

Hey all,

There used to be one of these on the old forum, and it helped me immensely when I started roleplaying. Here are some basic roleplaying vocab first.

1) Starting or joining an RP. To join an RP, ask the maker of the RP if you can join on the RP's OOC thread, which will be found in this board. You could also send him a private message. I recommend you join an RP or two before you start one, so that you have some experience in roleplaying. To make an RP, create a thread in this board with the details of your RP and a character sheet.

2) Creating a character. Many RPs will include a character sheet to fill in. Keep in mind the setting of the RP. A powerful armoured badger lord will be out of place in an RP about a slave revolt. Here's an example of a character sheet.

Name:
Species:
Clothing:
Personality:
History:
Other:

This is a basic character sheet, and some RPs will include other categories to be filled in.

3) Powerplaying and overpowered characters. Powerplaying is when you do something to another player's character without the player's permission. Example of a player powerplaying.

Player A:

Anne-Marie runs away from James, but trips on a root and falls to the ground.

Player B:

James decapitates Anne-Marie as she lies on the ground.

Here's an example of a player not powerplaying.

Player A:

Anne-Marie runs away from James.

Player B:

James attempts to decapitate Anne-Marie as she lies on the ground.

Powerplaying breaks immersion and the story, and must be avoided.

This guide will be expanded later on to include more tips and tricks.

Have fun RPing!
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.