News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

"Why ‘Redwall’ Should Be the Next Huge Movie Series"

Started by DanielofRedwall, July 16, 2017, 07:53:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MeadowR

Quote from: KoudoawaiaVortex on August 15, 2017, 04:55:43 PM
I could go with a Don Bluth style movie^^

It could work more like that, I suppose, as long as the animals look more like the animals they're meant to be! That one rat in NIMH looks more like a weasel.
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Ashleg

Nicodemus looks nothing like a weasel...

Don't get me started on those awful character designs in the ACTUAL Redwall cartoon.

MeadowR

^ Not Nicodemus. I think he's the one that's in the image. The one that gets a cringey crush on Mrs Brisby. Justin? (Due a re-watch!)

I completely agree on the designs in the Redwall cartoon. Rather put me off pursuing more of the cartoon for a time... Actually, I still haven't watched more than three episodes. ;D Really must get watching it.
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Ashleg

His colors, maybe. But with a face like so I would not doubt he was a rat.

(There are some rats that have more enlongated bodies, so that can be cut out, too.)
Maybe it's just a you thing...

TELEVISION BADRANG on the other paw, now THAT needs help.
He ain't even recognizable as a stoat.

Sunflash the Mace

It seems like nobody likes the Redwall cartoon that much, which is surprising. I don't think I've ever talked to anyone who was a genuine fan of it. I only watched a few episodes myself, I much preferred my imagination and the artwork from the books.

MeadowR

Quote from: Ashleg on August 17, 2017, 08:07:00 PM
Maybe it's just a you thing...

Maybe just me... and a few people who also watched it at the same time as me. But I am pretty picky about character design and animation choices in general: my course made me all the more critical of such things. :) It's not like it's a problem for me that detracts me from the whole film, though! It is indeed an interesting and intriguing feature.

QuoteTELEVISION BADRANG on the other paw, now THAT needs help.
He ain't even recognizable as a stoat.

Yep! The very first episode I watched was one with Badrang in and I thought: 'Isn't he supposed to be a stoat...?' Silly decisions made there; they really could have made something more of the chance to adapt Redwall...

...Which I'm sure any future adaptation would do better!

:)
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Ashleg

I did think Justin looked like Disney's Robin Hood, though. They even have similar movements (but that makes sense, because they were animated by the same people).

Wylder Treejumper

Hmm. I'm wary about this. The article made some excellent points, and we all know Redwall is an excellent series. But I wonder if it isn't more likely that any adaptation ruins the series, rather than revitalizes the series. I love Brian Jacques work, and I would hate to have it butchered by Hollywood. The Nelvana series is a good example; I never cared for it, and the character models were, in my opinion, particularly bad. But that series was rather minor; a big production has correspondingly bigger consequences, and is more likely to fail catastrophically. Like the Percy Jackson movie. Or, if you want something really scary, Eragon.

That said, there is sooooooooooooo much potential if someone could do it right. My personal preference would be Disney, but book adaptions aren't Disney Animation Studio's usual fare, so I have doubts that it would happen. If it did, though, I am all in favor of doing a Redwall adaption with Zootopia-style animation. The 3D modeling in that movie is superbly adapted for the task of a Redwall-style world.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Ashleg

It's not gritty enough.

It looks too clean and rounded.

Wylder Treejumper

"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Sunflash the Mace

I agree with Ashleg. Zootopia proves animal based stories can be done well and be hugely successful, but the style a little too cutesy and modern. The best "cutesy" Redwall art is done by Christopher Denise, but it has a very homey, old fashioned storybook feel to it. Not "gritty" really, but earthy. I really like the idea of a hand animated Redwall Series, it's just a shame that's so difficult and kind of a lost art anymore.

It is true that if it's a miserable adaptation it may sour the appeal of the books for newcomers, but it shouldn't be that hard to make a great series as long as you stick to the spirit and the stories of Brian Jacques and nail the art style, which admittedly may be difficult.

Has anyone seen the new Planet of the Apes movies? I imagine it'd be a lot harder to have human performances transformed into mice, badgers, hares, etc. rather than just apes, but it proves that there are AMAZING things that can be done with CGI animals. What do you think about going that ULTRA realistic route?

Ashleg

Haven't seen it, but I know that lots of films made in that way come out startling and slide right down into uncanny valley.

"Gritty" is a requirement because the atmosphere of the books in itself is not squeaky clean, it's bloody and dark and dangerous--thus the style of the artwork would need to reflect that to get across that good old Redwall feeling that drew fans to it in the first place.

Andy

I agree that it needs to be gritty, the gritty nature of the books was something I loved dearly as a kid and is part of what drew me to the series.

That aside, I think an animated series or films is worth a shot in any case. As for it ruining the series rather than revitalizing it... that's the same thing people were saying when Disney announced The Lion Guard "oh it'll ruin the integrity of the original"... er... if a new take on it ends up being bad, it doesn't change the quality or worth of the books. Some people ended up hating TLG, others loved it, but all of the fans of the original movies still loved those films, and plenty of kids will still be introduced to the series through the original films as well. The same can be applied here. An animated adaptation could be bad, but it could also be great. Either way, the books are still as enjoyable as they've always been.
Only actions can speak the truth.

Fenrir

I'm of the opinion that a modern film Redwall adaption would be a disaster, and here's why:

They would try to appeal to a very young audience and tone down all of the violence, i.e. the Redwall Animated Series in the early 2000's. And not only that, no matter which book was adapted a lot of material would end up getting cut unless they made it a 2-hour long movie. Something I highly doubt they would do.