News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

A Song of Ice and Fire and by extent Game of Thrones, is a fanfiction of Redwall

Started by The Grey Coincidence, December 19, 2017, 04:15:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Grey Coincidence

This is a conspiracy theory I thought of but can't find much/any evidence for. I know it's most likely not true... But there are some similarities...
So muahahahaha behold my case!
The deaths: surely everyone who's familiar with both can tell you, that in both books series there are copious amounts of death. When I say a lot: I mean A LOT! In Mossflower alone: Rose, the Mask, Blacktooth, Splitnose, Scratch, Tsarmina, and more! Asoiaf? Ned, Robb, Robert, Oberyn, Catelyn, Renly. Etc etc. The list really goes on and on.
The food: Well... Redwall moreso than Asoiaf, but the food descriptions are lavish and mouthwatering (especially when hungry).
Armor actually works: I can't find any extracts, but armour works in Redwall... To some extent. I'd say Martin's fight with Tsarmina is a good example of this.
Ker-chunk and Hodor: I'm halfway through Loamhedge. This is my big cheese really.
The rat Kerchunk is called Kerchunk, because all he says is Kerchunk, because those are the last words he remembers before a barrel is smashed onto his head.
The giant-blooded man Hodor is called Hodor, because all he says is Hodor, because 'Hold the door' are the last words he hears before his mind is smashed by a young sorceror.
Now, Brian Jacques doesn't read other books, because he doesn't want to steal ideas. (Really admirable because I am guilty of borrowing, and a lot of it is subconscious). George RR Martin on the other paw?  Well I think he reads other books so yeah.
So, my theory? Probably incorrect, BUT the Kerchunk/Hodor is something that sticks to me.
Also the fanfiction theory? Weeeeell Asoiaf is a very morally ambiguous series, contrasting the black and white of Redwall. It's like a 'reply' to Brian Jacques.
Opinions? Further evidence? Hit me.
Profile by the wonderful Vizon.

Also, behold this shiny medal! How I got it is a secret...

Also, also, I am running fanfic conteeeeeests!

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

The Grey Coincidence

Yeah... Publishing dates are hard to get past via waffling. Waffles... Tasty, but no use against cold, hard facts.
Still an interestingly grey coincidence if you'll pardon the pun.
Profile by the wonderful Vizon.

Also, behold this shiny medal! How I got it is a secret...

Also, also, I am running fanfic conteeeeeests!

MeadowR

Fun to compare them -- I suppose Redwall is quite like a younger version in ways. :P
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

The Skarzs

Quote from: The Grey Coincidence on December 19, 2017, 06:42:43 PM
Yeah... Publishing dates are hard to get past via waffling. Waffles... Tasty, but no use against cold, hard facts.
XD XP
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

rachel25

George RR Martin took loads of inspiration for GOT from history, particularly the War of the Roses (or Cousins War for the history nerds in the back.  ;) ) You can see the real similarities there. A mad king, an evil crazy queen, two families who's colours are literally white and red (Although once again historically wise the Lancasterians didn't have a red rose as their symbol, that was all Henry Tudor's idea)
As for GOT and Redwall being similar, well, honestly they're both fantasy series. You could argue Redwall nicked stuff from LOTR but honestly I don't see how it matters. When I'm watching or reading GOT I'm really not thinking, Hmm, that's quite Redwall esct. Nor when I read Redwall was I going, LOTR/GOT did this. They are all so different that you really can't compare them. Just the world building is different. if some characters display similar traits the truth is nothing can be completely original. I'm sure subconsciously I've written characters in my own books that are similar to characters in other books and shows. Just enjoy each thing for them as they are.       

Lady Ashenwyte

The similarities are very small, A Song of Ice and Fire has more politics and is more gritty than Redwall ever was.

Quote from: rachel25 on January 19, 2018, 12:00:17 PM
George RR Martin took loads of inspiration for GOT from history, particularly the War of the Roses (or Cousins War for the history nerds in the back.  ;) ) You can see the real similarities there. A mad king, an evil crazy queen, two families who's colours are literally white and red (Although once again historically wise the Lancasterians didn't have a red rose as their symbol, that was all Henry Tudor's idea)
As for GOT and Redwall being similar, well, honestly they're both fantasy series. You could argue Redwall nicked stuff from LOTR but honestly I don't see how it matters. When I'm watching or reading GOT I'm really not thinking, Hmm, that's quite Redwall esct. Nor when I read Redwall was I going, LOTR/GOT did this. They are all so different that you really can't compare them. Just the world building is different. if some characters display similar traits the truth is nothing can be completely original. I'm sure subconsciously I've written characters in my own books that are similar to characters in other books and shows. Just enjoy each thing for them as they are.       

Who was the mad king in the War of the Roses?
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

Jetthebinturong

Richard III. Though that was largely a fabrication of Shakespeare and Richard probably wasn't all that bad.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Lady Ashenwyte

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on January 20, 2018, 03:25:17 PM
Richard III. Though that was largely a fabrication of Shakespeare and Richard probably wasn't all that bad.

Ah. From what I've read on the matter Richard III wasn't the monster he was depicted as, though he did do some things that were pretty bad.
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

Sebias of Redwall

Quote from: The Grey Coincidence on December 19, 2017, 06:42:43 PM
:D :laugh:
Though I haven't read the books, I'd find it rather interesting how they are so similar. But like others have said, its probably just a 'grey coincidence'.  :laugh:
"I can only speak two languages. English and rubbish." ~Brian Jacques

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

MathLuk

*Thordan sneaks in, takes a few glances, then sneaks out*
By what strange trick of fate do our paths cross anew?

Link to the Redwall Readership Restorers: https://discord.gg/frYkSzE