News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Game Review

Started by Friar Poppy, December 19, 2017, 05:04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Friar Poppy

Such thinking is incomprehensible to me. Why would you want to limit Redwall to what is known? Entertaining grander possibilities is part of the adventure.

I'm a troll apparently. I'm glad someone told me!

Wylder Treejumper

@LordTBT :Well, the series text itself confirms the fact that there are lands far across the Western Sea, so I feel that limiting the scope of the Redwall world to only those places actually described in the books is rather disingenuous.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Jetthebinturong

It's not just disingenuous, it's silly. Clearly the Redwall world, as well as the ASoIaF world, is meant to be seen as a planet. Because that's all we know. No one designs their fantasy worlds to not be a planet unless they specifically say so, such as with Discworld. Every fantasy land that is not described is a planet until proven otherwise.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

SoranMBane

I should point out that, despite the minor mystical elements present in the setting, Brian himself didn't actually think of the Redwall books as "fantasy," but as pure action-adventure (actual quote from Brian: "I do not like the term 'fantasy'. It smacks of swords and sorcery and dungeons and dragons, and this is not at all the feeling of my books. I like to think of my books as old fashioned adventures that happened 'Once upon a time, long ago and far away...'; in fact, good yarns is how I describe them.") Characters in the Redwall books repeatedly refer to the world they live in as "Earth," and the Redwallers seem to have enough science knowledge that it's not a stretch to think they'd know that the world they live in is round. And as for the fairy ring thing, the creatures in this world have myths about dragons (hence Salamandastron's name, and one instance in Triss of a character mistaking the three conjoined adders for a "dragon"), so it's also not a stretch that they'd have myths about fairies too, even if fairies almost certainly don't actually exist in that world.

Also, I just bought this game today. It's downloading right now, and I'll probably end up adding my own thoughts on it to the forums once I've had some time to try it out.

Friar Poppy

Quote from: SoranMBane on December 21, 2017, 11:49:23 PM
I should point out that, despite the minor mystical elements present in the setting, Brian himself didn't actually think of the Redwall books as "fantasy," but as pure action-adventure (actual quote from Brian: "I do not like the term 'fantasy'. It smacks of swords and sorcery and dungeons and dragons, and this is not at all the feeling of my books. I like to think of my books as old fashioned adventures that happened 'Once upon a time, long ago and far away...'; in fact, good yarns is how I describe them.") Characters in the Redwall books repeatedly refer to the world they live in as "Earth," and the Redwallers seem to have enough science knowledge that it's not a stretch to think they'd know that the world they live in is round. And as for the fairy ring thing, the creatures in this world have myths about dragons (hence Salamandastron's name, and one instance in Triss of a character mistaking the three conjoined adders for a "dragon"), so it's also not a stretch that they'd have myths about fairies too, even if fairies almost certainly don't actually exist in that world.

Also, I just bought this game today. It's downloading right now, and I'll probably end up adding my own thoughts on it to the forums once I've had some time to try it out.

If you read my review you would have been completely spoiled on the game play. Hope you're okay with that.

LordTBT

Quote from: Wylder Treejumper on December 21, 2017, 07:34:26 AM
@LordTBT :Well, the series text itself confirms the fact that there are lands far across the Western Sea, so I feel that limiting the scope of the Redwall world to only those places actually described in the books is rather disingenuous.

The scope of the Redwall world IS limited to what's in the books....and the text confirming far west lands is a part of that. There are lands far west.

However, anything else is pure imagination. It's certainly fun to think about there being much more, personally I've always wondered what's to the far east.

The word "globetrotter" simply doesn't fit though. It implies so much more than what is there. This is not a world of countries, continents, big cities. Again, very fun to think about and consider. But simply not a part of it.

Not to mention, in a fantasy world, there's no indication it's a globe. It could be flat. Who knows?! The fact that we're having this debate is evidence enough that it's out of place.

For those who haven't acquired the game yet, here's a video of a YouTuber playing through Old Moss Creek, for a feel of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBlWiW2uqhg

Friar Poppy

The review has been rewritten and edited. Several new things have been added. This will be the last edit till they release more content.